Together at Last - New solo Tweedy record

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good God, the vinyl box set is already sold out. I literally tried to pre-order the minute the email came. I was working on my computer the moment it arrived in my inbox. Preordered the standard vinyl. I was looking forward to doing the jigsaw puzzle with my 4-year-old, who is obsessed with and awesome at puzzles.

Good God, the vinyl box set is already sold out. I literally tried to pre-order the minute the email came. I was working on my computer the moment it arrived in my inbox. Preordered the standard vinyl. I was looking forward to doing the jigsaw puzzle with my 4-year-old, who is obsessed with and awesome at puzzles.

It's back up now if you still want to order the box. In fact, I just put 600 in my cart so there's plenty left.

Yeah I just saw that, I ordered that version, 6 dollar shipping vs 35, easy choice to make. Hopefully Amazon.ca will get it in stock soon and Kung Fu will be cool about cancelling my order. 

Almost pulled the trigger on the puzzle box, but just couldn't justify $20 for a novelty I'll never use that will just take up more space in my cabinet.

If the box set had extra linear notes or heaven forbid more music, it would be a no brainer.

Went with the "piss yellow" vinyl on Amazon instead.

Is anyone kinda disappointed that this isn't a double vinyl? I mean these aren't new songs, he could easily have recorded and mastered more material. That version of Laminated Cat does sound nice though.

Interesting.  Would have been great if it was new music, but I suppose between Sukierae, Star Wars and Schmilco we've been pretty spoiled in that regard as of late.  Kind of disappointing there aren't more deep cuts instead of tracks like Hummingbird, Via Chicago, etc.  Since the website describes this as "Session 1" I wonder if there will be more releases in the future.

Since it's released on the first day of Solid Sound does anyone think a different version might be available there? Signed copies or anything? I want to preorder this but I can't help but wonder what if...

He would be silly not to have it at the show. Now signed copies is asking a bit much. Possible a color variant just for festival goers is more reasonable.

Is anyone kinda disappointed that this isn't a double vinyl? I mean these aren't new songs, he could easily have recorded and mastered more material. That version of Laminated Cat does sound nice though.

I'll never say no to more music but I think the brevity of Wilco's recent releases has worked well for Star Wars and Schmilco. Because they're on single LPs they're easier to listen to, which means they get spun more than say Sukierae or The Whole Love. So I'm glad to see Together At Last follow this new pattern, especially since the subtitle is "Loft Acoustic Sessions 1" I'm sure there's more in the can or plans for more studio sessions. 

Reads "New Jeff Tweedy solo record" and gets very excited. Then reads "reworkings of Wilco songs" and thinks, what a pointless release. And a box set with a jigsaw of Jeff? Bizarre what people will pay extra money for.

For a big fan such as myself, who is somewhat of a completist and who has also been hoping for a long time we'd see an official release of fresh recordings of Jeff performing songs solo that he wrote 10 years ago -- or longer -- it gets me very excited. I own everything Wilco has released on vinyl. LPs, 7" singles, rare promo releases, etc., because it's a hobby of mine and I love the music deeply. The joy I'll experience putting the puzzle together with my 4-year-old, who happens to LOVE puzzles and is very good at them, is something on which you can't place value. We'll listen to music together while doing it and we'll be spending time together doing things we love. That's not pointless or bizarre.

It's back up now if you still want to order the box. In fact, I just put 600 in my cart so there's plenty left.

Thanks! I went back and refreshed the page, and was able to snag one. And Kung Fu was very easy to work with to cancel my order of the standard LP (which I ordered after my initial unsuccessful attempt to order the box set). I'm looking forward to adding this to the Wilco vinyl collection.

I'll never say no to more music but I think the brevity of Wilco's recent releases has worked well for Star Wars and Schmilco. Because they're on single LPs they're easier to listen to, which means they get spun more than say Sukierae or The Whole Love. So I'm glad to see Together At Last follow this new pattern, especially since the subtitle is "Loft Acoustic Sessions 1" I'm sure there's more in the can or plans for more studio sessions. 

Agree 100%. I highly doubt they wouldn't label something as the first volume if it weren't planned to be a series. What if the next Loft Acoustic Sessions release is just Jeff and Glenn, like the first shows they ever played together? Or a studio recording of the full-band hootenanny setup? That would be awesome, whether it's new tunes, Wilco classics, or deep cuts, which I'd bet would end up on subsequent releases. If more people are pining for new music, I'd rather Jeff or the band take the time they need to write and record something they're happy with. If the Wilco camp wants to offer releases such as this in in the interim, that's ok with me!

For a big fan such as myself, who is somewhat of a completist and who has also been hoping for a long time we'd see an official release of fresh recordings of Jeff performing songs solo that he wrote 10 years ago -- or longer -- it gets me very excited. I own everything Wilco has released on vinyl. LPs, 7" singles, rare promo releases, etc., because it's a hobby of mine and I love the music deeply. The joy I'll experience putting the puzzle together with my 4-year-old, who happens to LOVE puzzles and is very good at them, is something on which you can't place value. We'll listen to music together while doing it and we'll be spending time together doing things we love. That's not pointless or bizarre.

Happy for you. If you have fun doing it then that is fine. It is still a pretty strange way to try and get fans to spend more though, 

Agree 100%. I highly doubt they wouldn't label something as the first volume if it weren't planned to be a series. What if the next Loft Acoustic Sessions release is just Jeff and Glenn, like the first shows they ever played together? Or a studio recording of the full-band hootenanny setup? That would be awesome, whether it's new tunes, Wilco classics, or deep cuts, which I'd bet would end up on subsequent releases. If more people are pining for new music, I'd rather Jeff or the band take the time they need to write and record something they're happy with. If the Wilco camp wants to offer releases such as this in in the interim, that's ok with me!

Great idea. Jeff with Glenn on drums, or Nels on dobro, is always a treat. I was watching this performance earlier and noticed how great Jeff and John sound together when they're both on guitar and John's singing harmony. What about them going through some classic Wilco tunes together? For two guys who've been playing together since like 1993, they haven't collaborated much just the two of them.