Together at Last - New solo Tweedy record

Why do you guys think the title is "Together at Last"?

Perhaps all it means is Jeff was planning on doing something like this for a while and finally got these recordings "together at last"

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The listing for the limited edition on Amazon is gone? I still see it in my orders, but when I click on it the link is broken. Anyone else having this issue?

Yeah me too, super weird. 

Happy for you. If you have fun doing it then that is fine. It is still a pretty strange way to try and get fans to spend more though,

What difference does it make to you? Just curious. This isn't the first time Wilco has sold a batch of previously released tunes before...there are dozens of Roadcase recordings out there, many shows with nearly identical setlists. Dozens of songs that sound the exact same way (that is, awesome) performed live.

At least this is something a little more fresh. I'm excited to hear these songs in this setting with Jeff's voice the way it sounds now. Hear how he inhabits these tunes many years after they were written, in a relaxed, great sounding environment. If you're not, fine! Take the griping elsewhere, please?

What difference does it make to you? Just curious. This isn't the first time Wilco has sold a batch of previously released tunes before...there are dozens of Roadcase recordings out there, many shows with nearly identical setlists. Dozens of songs that sound the exact same way (that is, awesome) performed live.

At least this is something a little more fresh. I'm excited to hear these songs in this setting with Jeff's voice the way it sounds now. Hear how he inhabits these tunes many years after they were written, in a relaxed, great sounding environment. If you're not, fine! Take the griping elsewhere, please?

Are we not allowed to make criticisms here? I just think that a release like this is preying on completists who feel the need to pick up things like a "box set" which actually contains the same amount of music as a normal release, but adds something that I guess 90% of people will just own for the sake of owning. In contrast the live downloads offer good value with zero clutter. I have purchased a few, especially when the setlists are a little different to normal or if it is a show I attended.

The actual CD/record will surely be worth hearing, but Jeff is singing many of these old songs most weeks of the year, if he had revisited a few more obscure selections then I would find that more interesting. No one is forcing me to buy it though. I own every other Jeff Tweedy related release in some format or another (except one Loose Fur album), may give this one a miss. 

It's just a personal opinion, if others will love this release then that's fine too.

Are we not allowed to make criticisms here? I just think that a release like this is preying on completists who feel the need to pick up things like a "box set" which actually contains the same amount of music as a normal release, but adds something that I guess 90% of people will just own for the sake of owning. In contrast the live downloads offer good value with zero clutter. I have purchased a few, especially when the setlists are a little different to normal or if it is a show I attended.

The actual CD/record will surely be worth hearing, but Jeff is singing many of these old songs most weeks of the year, if he had revisited a few more obscure selections then I would find that more interesting. No one is forcing me to buy it though. I own every other Jeff Tweedy related release in some format or another (except one Loose Fur album), may give this one a miss.

It's just a personal opinion, if others will love this release then that's fine too.

Naw, criticism is fine. I just don't feel like Wilco is being predatory here, nor do I feel preyed upon. I feel elated that something I've hoped for is finally happening. The overall responses I'm seeing on announcements from HQ elsewhere are quite positive. Doesn't seem like people are feeling like they're being taken advantage of.

What catches your eye from this track listing?

1. Via Chicago

2. Laminated Cat
  3. Lost Love
  4. Muzzle Of Bees
  5. Ashes Of American Flags
  6. Dawned On Me
  7. In A Future Age
  8. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
  9. Hummingbird
  10. I'm Always In Love

11. Sky Blue Sky

For different reasons, I am glad to see several songs on there. I love Lost Love, though I cannot imagine it being much different from the original version. Ashes (which I love) and Break (which I do not) should sound radically different from the originals, though I have heard the latter several times live solo so I have an idea how that will come across. I am really looking forward to I'm Always in Love. Great, great song, though I think I love it because it rocks. Will it still move me in a solo acoustic arrangement?

I'm wondering how this will compare to Sunken Treasure.

I realize the comparison is live vs. a studio recording, but both are solo performances of the songs.

It will be interesting to see what 10-11 years brings in the way the songs are presented.

• 2 weeks later...

When I'm recording, I usually play an old song when setting up the microphones, just to get everything right, but not burn myself out on what I actually want to do.

In my imagination, this is a compilation of these off the cuff, mic check kind of performances -  I wonder what the process actually was?

What catches your eye from this track listing?

1. Via Chicago

2. Laminated Cat
  3. Lost Love
  4. Muzzle Of Bees
  5. Ashes Of American Flags
  6. Dawned On Me
  7. In A Future Age
  8. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
  9. Hummingbird
  10. I'm Always In Love

11. Sky Blue Sky

For different reasons, I am glad to see several songs on there. I love Lost Love, though I cannot imagine it being much different from the original version. Ashes (which I love) and Break (which I do not) should sound radically different from the originals, though I have heard the latter several times live solo so I have an idea how that will come across. I am really looking forward to I'm Always in Love. Great, great song, though I think I love it because it rocks. Will it still move me in a solo acoustic arrangement?

I'm very excited for this album since I'm a huge fan of his solo acoustic work. I've gotten to go to 2 years of the all request benefit gigs, 4 shows total & I'm planning on going again next year (love to go yearly someday, but for now, it's Solid Sound & Benefit shows on alternating years). This album is a great idea & I'm hoping that there will be more volumes of Jeff solo acoustic arrangements in the future!

The acoustic version of "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" is very unique & I love it at least as much as the full band version (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6LVEBCv3h0)...so maybe it'll open up that one for you. "Laminated Cat (Not For The Season)" is a real stand out thriller for me in it's acoustic setting (love it so much I learned it)!!! If you don't want to wait, here's a great version of "I'm Always In Love" (think there's an acoustic version on the Box Set "Alpha Mike Foxtrot" too)... it's also one of my absolute fave acoustic arrangement songs (another I loved so much I learned it) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj4ckelEHXk