Together at Last - New solo Tweedy record

Well, that was one big false alarm, much ado about nothing, mountain out of a mole hill, etc. The shipping update yesterday showed delivery for Monday. It showed up this morning! I got the box set with the jigsaw puzzle since my toddlers love to do puzzles. I listen, we work on the puzzle together, everyone wins!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So this is exactly what you would expect. Extremely intimate versions of some of Wilco's best songs. The production is really nice. Super quiet, but dynamic. It sounds like he's playing on a stool in your living room. It's gorgeous.

I don't think this release will be for "everyone", it's definitely a fan service record. The live solo jeff albums have always been great, so it's really awesome to have some studio quality solo cuts.

My only complaint? Considering the live recordings are typically 20+ songs. Only having 11 feels a little too brief for my tastes. This could have easily been a double album. Maybe we will get a vol. 2...hopefully

It's been a while since I've posted here, but after giving Together At Last a few complete spins, I thought I'd chime in with my initial thoughts: 

1). On the whole, my question is: Why? Why did we need a record of all acoustic songs? While I think the super fans (me) will enjoy this, I'm left wondering what Jeff wanted to accomplish by releasing this collection? For the most (and there are some exceptions), these tracks don't feel reimagined or seem to gain much from being stripped back, etc. Perhaps this is more of passion project for Jeff and more power to him - the man has certainly created enough wonderful music and has earned the opportunity to follow his passions wherever they might take him, but I was left a bit puzzled as to why this was an actual, physical release as opposed to perhaps a strictly digital release or something like that. 

2). Now, all that being said, there are some fine, fine moments on this record - especially Via Chicago, Not for the Season, The Future Age, I Am Trying to Break Your Heart, and I'm Always in Love. Ashes is a nice cut as well. But these tracks rise above the rest, at least for me, because Jeff does a little reinterpreting of their original form and doesn't just give us an acoustic rendition. However subtle or nuanced the tweaks, they show us a different side, something new, reveal a fresh facet of these tracks that the others lack. 

3). The production is quite nice. Very warm, very intimate, though at times, at least to me (and I'm no production expert by any means) some tracks feels a little rushed - i.e. completed in one take without much thought to trying again in the hopes of refining, specifically Muzzle of Bees, which to me is the worst track on the record. Now, yes, the liner notes indicate the collection was recorded during a month span (January 2016), so I get why things might seem like one and done, but at the same time I feel more time could have been spent on rethinking how these tracks might sound with just Jeff and his voice. 

OK, so overall, despite my criticisms, I do really enjoy the record and find 7 of the 11 tracks are really interesting, fresh, and utterly beautiful. I guess my overriding concern here is whether Together At Last signals a shift toward major releases that perhaps should be digital downloads, b-sides, part of one large 'basement tapes' like collection, etc, especially since Jeff has indicated this is just the first in a series of the Loft Sessions releases. Wilco is perhaps (no, not perhaps, for sure) my favorite band and Tweedy is without a doubt my favorite songwriter, which is perhaps why I'm so polarized about a record that, to me, seems a little less vital or necessary than those that have come before. Maybe I was expecting too much, maybe I'm just not keyed in to what Tweedy was going for here, but Together At Last isn't quite the slam dunk I was hoping for - to use a basketball metaphor (since the draft was just last night), this feels like a 15 foot jumper: effective, well done, but a little safe especially with a wide open lane to drive the basket. 

Again, just me two cents and I'm curious how others will react. Cheers! 

I think Number 2 answers your Number 1.

I'm more puzzled why the box set came with a uh...puzzle. Talk about unnecessary.

This will be a good "Sunday Morning" record.

As I said in my other post, I just wish it was a bit longer considering it's just a re-release of old songs. It really should be a "bargain" release, but I do like having it on vinyl.

I think Number 2 answers your Number 1.

I'm more puzzled why the box set came with a uh...puzzle. Talk about unnecessary.

This will be a good "Sunday Morning" record.

As I said in my other post, I just wish it was a bit longer considering it's just a re-release of old songs. It really should be a "bargain" release, but I do like having it on vinyl.

I think Number 2 in part answers Number 1, though not completely. Perhaps, as you somewhat referenced, it's the song selection. Maybe if the record include more 'deep cuts' or songs we really haven't heard in an acoustic setting before? I don't know...

I do agree with you: A perfect weekend morning record, which is probably where this will reside for me. And again, this record contains some fantastic cuts: Via Chicago, Laminated Cat, Ashes, Future Age, Break Your Heart, etc. But for an artist like Tweedy who prides himself on making records a holistic listening experience, this one finds me jumping from track to track more than any other release in his arsenal. 

I think the album is streaming on Spotify or whatever, so you can always listen before you buy.

As long as you go in knowing what to expect, then you shouldn't be disappointed. If a precise acoustic recording of old songs interests you, then you should enjoy it on that level. It's not going to hold your attention much passed that. It's something nice to have, but in no way essential.

You guys are making me second guess picking this up after work...

Dude, just get it. Tune out the noise. There's some really wonderful stuff here, subtle shifts in the arrangements and chord choices, plus some light overdubs on a few tracks that provide just enough extra texture. What I also like is that most of these songs were written and recorded when Jeff was in a much different place than he is now, and his voice is completely different. I'm really enjoying hearing these songs interpreted in this intimate setting, years after they were initially conceived. 

If you're disappointed, I'm sorry your expectations weren't met. I didn't really have any mega hopes for what this would be. I was simply looking forward to hearing a set of Wilco tunes recorded in this fashion, especially so you can focus on the songs underneath all the production on the Wilco records. And that's exactly what it is.

Dude, just get it. Tune out the noise. There's some really wonderful stuff here, subtle shifts in the arrangements and chord choices, plus some light overdubs on a few tracks that provide just enough extra texture. What I also like is that most of these songs were written and recorded when Jeff was in a much different place than he is now, and his voice is completely different. I'm really enjoying hearing these songs interpreted in this intimate setting, years after they were initially conceived. 

If you're disappointed, I'm sorry your expectations weren't met. I didn't really have any mega hopes for what this would be. I was simply looking forward to hearing a set of Wilco tunes recorded in this fashion, especially so you can focus on the songs underneath all the production on the Wilco records. And that's exactly what it is.

Yes, Choo-Choo is right, it's worth picking up. And yes, the record is what it's billed to be. As I said, I think my expectations were outta whack and that's 100 percent on me. As has been said, there are some really wonderful cuts here. Worth buying for the Wilco/Tweedy fan. 

These are great intimate recordings. Obviously they're all songs we've heard before but it's nice to hear Jeff solo in the studio for once. This will sound great on vinyl, if my copy ever gets here...

These are great intimate recordings. Obviously they're all songs we've heard before but it's nice to hear Jeff solo in the studio for once. This will sound great on vinyl, if my copy ever gets here...

I've been listening on Spotify this morning, plan to play the vinyl all weekend.

Are you folks able to access your digital copy? I preordered the download but its says my order is being prepared.

I have not yet received an email notification that the digital download is ready. Anxious to get that as well!

So I just picked up a yellow copy at my local record shop. There was not a download card or anything inside. I assume that I can download a version of the album. That's pretty standard with all new releases. Anyone had the same issue?

So I just picked up a yellow copy at my local record shop. There was not a download card or anything inside. I assume that I can download a version of the album. That's pretty standard with all new releases. Anyone had the same issue?

Same thing here. Just got home with my copy and there was no card. Sounds great! I can help you out though. Shoot me a PM.

No download card in the vinyl. Which is really lame. Since I ordered from Bull Moose, I won't be getting a download from Kung Fu.

I have been buying most of my vinyl off Amazon, as almost anything you buy gets transferred to your Amazon Prime Music account. Sadly Amazon cancelled my order...

Oh well. At least it's on Spotify...

No download card in the vinyl. Which is really lame. Since I ordered from Bull Moose, I won't be getting a download from Kung Fu.

I have been buying most of my vinyl off Amazon, as almost anything you buy gets transferred to your Amazon Prime Music account. Sadly Amazon cancelled my order...

Oh well. At least it's on Spotify...

That's bush-league. I don't know if the downloads from Kung Fu and Anti were used as a marketing tool to preorder or what. For a guy who wants people to support local record stores, not including download cards make it more difficult. Not the end of the world...just frustrating.

I'm buying it on vinyl for one purpose. My baby daughter, my wife and I hang out in our living room where the turntable is. This has lead me to flesh out the Jackson Brown, Paul Simon, Kris Kristofferson side of my collection. This record will sit nicely in that realm of sonically gentle and lyrically rich. I suppose some would say that's dad rock. This dad is in!

I'm buying it on vinyl for one purpose. My baby daughter, my wife and I hang out in our living room where the turntable is. This has lead me to flesh out the Jackson Brown, Paul Simon, Kris Kristofferson side of my collection. This record will sit nicely in that realm of sonically gentle and lyrically rich. I suppose some would say that's dad rock. This dad is in!

Just watch that F bomb!

For some reason, the album not coming with a download is really turning me off to buying it.

Just buy it from their site and you'll get the DL. I do agree that it is disappointing the indie version doesn't come with a DL code. Does the regular version in shops not include a code either?

For some reason, the album not coming with a download is really turning me off to buying it.

I know I'll probably catch heck for saying this, but I just don't find it all that interesting. It's the first Wilco/Tweedy/Jeff album I haven't preordered since SBS. I even feel guilty for admitting this, but there it is.