Together at Last - New solo Tweedy record

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I'll probably catch heck for saying this, but I just don't find it all that interesting. It's the first Wilco/Tweedy/Jeff album I haven't preordered since SBS. I even feel guilty for admitting this, but there it is.

You shouldn't feel guilty. These are not new songs. This is the tunesmith version of a remix record.

Are you folks able to access your digital copy? I preordered the download but its says my order is being prepared.

Haven't gotten my links yet, either. I ordered directly through the Wilco store (Kung Fu Nation), but the Shopify page still says the order is being prepared. I received the vinyl a few days ago, but still no download links. I e-mailed Kung Fu Nation about it last night, and they just sent the link to the pre-order download (i.e.  Laminated Cat mp3) which should have been sent at the time of the order almost 3 weeks ago. Still haven't received the download links for the full album. Emailed them again, so we'll see what happens. They seem to be using Shopify now for their online transactions, which I have found to be inferior to whatever they were using before. Never had problems with orders in the past. Hopefully the links will come soon.

Meanwhile, the vinyl sounds great :)

Edit: Kung Fu Nation sent me a dropbox link for the downloads, even though I still never received the official download link. 

So I don't want to seem nit picky but I'm pretty unimpressed with the overall "vinyl package" for the standard vinyl. No linear notes, no download card, and a rather flimsy jacket that has already cracked on the spine. Everything about it feels low budget. At least compared to the other Wilco releases I have on vinyl. If you're going to charge us $20+ please put a little more effort into it. /rant

So I don't want to seem nit picky but I'm pretty unimpressed with the overall "vinyl package" for the standard vinyl. No linear notes, no download card, and a rather flimsy jacket that has already cracked on the spine. Everything about it feels low budget. At least compared to the other Wilco releases I have on vinyl. If you're going to charge us $20+ please put a little more effort into it. /rant

Assuming you mean liner notes. Not sure what else they need to say about these songs, unless Jeff perhaps has some insights on why he chose these songs.

Anyway, I agree the absent download card is unusual for a release from the Wilco/Tweedy camp. My vinyl pre-order from the Wilco store specifically said it came with a full album download, and then just today I received a message from Wilco HQ via Facebook of all places indicating that a digital download was NOT included with the vinyl. It even says it on the Kung Fu store.

But then they included an email address for someone in the TMM camp who would provide MP3's. I emailed said person and promptly received a reply with a link to grab the files at Dropbox. Very strange interaction.

Soooo. Who is going to be the first to finish the Tweedy puzzle that came in the box set? To me that puzzle design is typical Tweedy humor. The all black inner portion of that is going to be a challenge!

On another note, a friend who is employed by the band. Informed me that all the art they have previously as well as future releases on the road case shows; if collected in full, will eventually make a giant poster. I'm not sure how long ago it started or when it will end but was told there are a bunch of pieces to it.

Review up on (the back from the dead) Prefixmag.com

http://www.prefixmag.com/reviews/together-at-last/203962/

That might be the most glowing review yet. The one thing that is consistent in all of these reviews is that "Dawned On Me" and "Hummingbird" aren't complimented by the treatment as much as the others. I wonder if those who've gotten some time with the record agree.

As a side note Prefix should edit better, but so should a lot of online publications.

Good news!! A VC friend got me one of the signed copies they were selling at SS so I've been able to listen. 

I like it, it's really good. I think the 11 songs Jeff picked flow great together and the recordings are top quality. We've definitely had our fare share of new JT songs in the past few years with two Wilco albums and the double Sukirae album, so it's nice to look back on some older songs. I liked hearing the progression of I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, go back and listen to the acoustic version from the opening credits of the documentary and listen to this version, it's a pretty big change. It's also really nice to own Lost Love on vinyl, man where are those Golden Smog reissues at?? Interesting that the recording date of January 2016, who knows what else is in the can.

My wife and I went to our first solo Jeff show in the spring. She's heard all the Wilco albums many many times but wasn't familiar with too much solo Jeff stuff. It's interesting that outside of live recordings (Roadcases and the Sunken Treasure DVD were what I relied on) there wasn't any studio recordings to show her what Jeff sounds like solo. Especially after so many years of solo shows, there's never been officially released studio recordings. So at least this fixes that.
I think this is going to be a good Sunday morning album. I for one, am excited for more. 

I am enjoying the album for what it is...If this is an ongoing thing with future volumes, I sure hope he does a version of "Diamond Claw"...I love that version on Sunken Treasure too bad he yaps throughout it just before "Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down"

Diamond Claw, I'm about 99.9% sure, is only on the CD that came with The Wilco Book. Where does it appear in the Sunken Treasure DVD? I've watched it many times and have never caught it.

you're right it is only on The Wilco Book...He plays it towards the beginning when he's explaining about being a service for the audience, right before Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down...great version but like I said, he talks all through it.

You're absolutely right; I never noticed that before! I'd love to hear that version sans voiceover (although he's making a great point that's central to Wilco "philosophy")...perhaps it'll appear on a future Loft Acoustic Sessions release. Good ear!

One thing I didn't see mentioned that I think deserves some kudos is TAL coming in a proper inner sleeve. I can't remember the last time I got a normal $20 album that came in something that isn't a crappy paper sleeve! Whoever arranged for that at dbpm or the record plant deserves a pay raise, IMO. 

Finally relented about picked up the yellow copy on my walk at lunch.  Looking forward to giving it a spin this weekend, even though my expectations are relatively low.  Seems like it could be a pretty great lazy sunday morning on the couch album.

Finally relented about picked up the yellow copy on my walk at lunch.  Looking forward to giving it a spin this weekend, even though my expectations are relatively low.  Seems like it could be a pretty great lazy sunday morning on the couch album.

You're going into it with the right mindset. Anyone expecting some mind-blowing album is probably going to be disappointed. Enjoyable, intimate, stripped-down versions of songs we're all very familiar with.

Oddly enough, I WAS expecting a low-key, comfortable-but-not-earthshaking revisit of several old friends (songs) and thus was completely blown away when I finally put it on late one night and got to have the experience of a living room show for only me, in my own living room. From Via Chicago on, I was captivated by the intimacy and sheer beauty of these melodies and these words. It felt all new to me.

It's a powerful album that will bring you back to when you first fell inside these songs. Listen without distractions. This is Jeff distilled to his essence.

Well, it so happens I completely agree. In fact, if I may share a specific recommendation, listen late at night when you've just gone to bed but are not too sleepy, hit the bong a couple of times and just lay back and listen fairly loud, in the dark.

Well, it so happens I completely agree. In fact, if I may share a specific recommendation, listen late at night when you've just gone to bed but are not too sleepy, hit the bong a couple of times and just lay back and listen fairly loud, in the dark.

Yeah, got rid of mine waaaaaaaaay back in college.

I'd say this (plus or minus bong) is the only way I know to listen to something which is even better than driving around with it. Unfortunately this doesn't really work with my wife. The very idea brings me back to my bachelor days.