Jason Isbell - The Nashville sound

Really looking forward to this.  Can he sustain his level of greatness?

Released June 16.

He's pre-released two tracks. Both sound good. I'll be seeing him next week and am wondering how much of the upcoming record he'll play. Probably just the pre-released songs.

I've only heard Hope the High Road. There's another one?

He did a live show on the BBC recently and sang a live acoustic version of a new one called Last of My Kind. I heard it via a post on a Jason Isbell fan group. I think I like it better than Hope the High Road.

Thought the lyrics for Hope the High Road were a little preachy but it's got that nice Isbell sound. I'm sure there will be folks who think they're getting a country record from the title and will be disappointed when it's more rock 'n roll, but I'm very much looking forward to it. After a somewhat wobbly start, his records have been wonderfully and consistently excellent since Here We Rest.

• 1 month later...

I listened to this all weekend and really love it.  Not quite as amazing as Southeastern or the first half of Here We Rest, but as good or better than Something More Than Free, which I consider his second best full album.  It's also not quite the big rock record some folks are talking it up to be, but I assumed as much, honestly. 

Standouts to me are If We Were Vampires, Anxiety and Chaos & Clothes.

I listened to this all weekend and really love it. Not quite as amazing as Southeastern or the first half of Here We Rest, but as good or better than Something More Than Free, which I consider his second best full album. It's also not quite the big rock record some folks are talking it up to be, but I assumed as much, honestly.

Standouts to me are If We Were Vampires, Anxiety and Chaos & Clothes.

How did you hear the full record already?

Streamed via NPR today. It did not grab me immediately in the same way as Here We Rest, Southeastern or Something More Than Free. I enjoyed the slower/mid tempo folkier shuffles than the rockers. Something is not right for me; maybe it's the production. Maybe I've been following Jason's social media accounts too closely. I'll have to give this several more spins in the coming weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

His interview on TDS was great... bummed he didn't play a song on the broadcast, but I think he'll gain a bunch of new fans off the interview alone.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/jucxg9/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-jason-isbell---getting-accidentally-political-on--the-nashville-sound----extended-interview?xrs=share_copy_email

He did play Vampires for the audience... such a fantastic song, though without Amada's backing vocals, some of the emotional weight isn't there:

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/h8fy0z/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-exclusive---jason-isbell----if-we-were-vampires-?xrs=share_copy_email