Very sad. He really maintained that voice. One of the THE voices of 90s alt. rock radio. Awesome time of great music, CDs, music stores. And then the man does it again in the 00s with Audio Slave. Quite the career. Makes' me feel old and a bit unnerved. RIP.

That's really sad, sounds like he had young kids, what a tragedy. There was definitely a period in my high school days where I got into grunge music and '90s alt-rock, and Soundgarden was one of those bands. While they never clicked with me like Nirvana or The Pixies, they had some great tunes and Chris sure could sing.

Thanks Lammy. this is still hard to believe. people, if you know someone who has depression, please reach out and do what you can. 

I agree, of course, with the reaching out. The thing with this, though, is that it appears (from what I've read) that Chris's wife had spoken on the phone to him during soundcheck and after the show and that he then had shown zero signs of suicidal thoughts and/or depression of late. It's sad, obviously, but if no one is aware of those feelings....

I'm sad when artists die, but this one is hitting me hard. I started crying when I read it was a suicide. He was done. I struggle with this shit and I know. 'Go on and save yourself'...When someone is going to kill themselves, there really are no signs. You are in a place where you can't die and you can't live. I can't think of a worse hell.

Chris' death prompted me to not just reach for a little Soundgarden, but dig up my old CD of Euphoria Morning, his first solo record from 1999. It is a terrific album and showcases that underneath the bare-chested wailing banshee there was a singer/songwriter with a knack for melody, solid arrangements and interesting layers of sound. Not sure what else I could add that hasn't already been said; he will be greatly missed and leaves behind a great legacy as a rock 'n roll artist.

I was never a huge Soundgarden fan, but yesterday I went back and listened to "Superunknown" (the one CD of theirs that I own) and Audioslave's "Out of Exile."   Man, Chris could really sing.  Not talk-sing or scream-sing, but really sing.  R.I.P.

I was never a huge Soundgarden fan, but yesterday I went back and listened to "Superunknown" (the one CD of theirs that I own) and Audioslave's "Out of Exile."   Man, Chris could really sing.  Not talk-sing or scream-sing, but really sing.  R.I.P

Similarly, yesterday and last night I did the same. I had forgotten how good some of their (Soundgarden's) work was: Burden in My Hand, My Wave, Pretty Noose, The Day I Tried to Live, Hands All Over, etc. I listened to "Hunger Strike" a few times, too, and showed that clip of Chris in the studio w/ a cellist and another guitarist doing "Nothing Compares 2 U" to my wife, who loves Prince but didn't know Soundgarden/Cornell material too well. 

The man certainly had some impressive vocals. 

Pro-shot director's cut of Temple of the Dog performance at the PJ20 festival was posted to youtube last night. Eddie Vedder gives a nice introduction to Chris beginning around the 7:20 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHIz3qWy8oI

Great thing about the "Seattle scene" was how much camaraderie and encouragement there was between many bands. Chris rightfully so appears in much of the early part of the PJ20 documentary for helping Stone and Jeff move forward after the death of Andy Wood, and for helping Ed find his footing as an outsider coming in.

Those are amazing shots Tinnitus. Better than anything I have seen in the news stories. I have a live solo acoustic album he did that is just amazing. Our band worked up Seasons and just started playing it live before This happened. The guy was a talent.

Those are amazing shots Tinnitus. Better than anything I have seen in the news stories. I have a live solo acoustic album he did that is just amazing. Our band worked up Seasons and just started playing it live before This happened. The guy was a talent.

Thanks Moss!

i'd never heard "Seasons" before yesterday and it's a great song.