So, Solid Sound first-timers...

I'm always curious to hear the impressions of people attending their first Solid Sound, because I think it is SO very different from the usual festival, and I suppose because I want to relive/revisit that brilliant sense of discovery.

So, what did you think of "our" little festival??? Favorite bits?

I've seen Wilco many times in the past and have also been to many day long festival shows. Only one multi-day festival show previously. This was easily one of the best concert experiences of my life. The venue was unlike anything I had ever been to. I had no idea what to expect but it was absolutely perfect for the event. Parking was a non-issue, food was great, the people were awesome, both staff and people attending. The pop up events were great! I was in the right place at the right time to see Kevin Morby and the one for Nick Offerman. I absolutely loved Joe's Field. I knew I was going to have a blast. I was pleasantly surprised when my wife had as good of a time as she did. She's not really a 3 day festival type of person but I think the venue and atmosphere won her over.  We're already looking forward to bringing our kids in 4 years, assuming it's still happening. 2 years is too soon for them but 4 should be OK, assuming we can get a room in North Adams. This time we staying in Bennington, VT, which was great! We were able to go to the Bennington Battle Monument and Robert Frost's grave since we passed both each day to Mass Moca. Such a great time.

Tell me about Kevin's pop-up! I was at the one with Jeff, Chris Corsano, and Darin Gray that was earlier. By the time I got through Courtyard D (which was packed so traffic was at a crawl) and across the canal and up to the pink cactus area, I could see him standing outside. I came up and said, "I just missed your pop-up, didn't I?" Yup.

Also, a question about Bennington...I've only driven through, two years ago after Solid Sound, and we didn't have time to stop. But I remember the huge dramatic spire there...is that the battle monument? I think it must be. How cool that you got to see Frost's grave! I guess I need to schedule more time in Bennington. We did go to the nearby covered bridge museum, which was great and had some incredible art besides the displays related to covered bridges.

Nice that your wife had a great time too. That makes the experience so much better! How old are your kids?

My kids are 4 and almost 8 now, so in 4 years I think they could handle it. We actually went over a covered bridge in Bennington each day, to and from, Solid Sound. It was nice! Yep, what you saw was the Bennington Battle Monument. It was really neat to see up close. It's in a neighborhood! Crazy. Never seen anything like that. We drove right past it. It was a really nice little town. We rented a cottage from Air B&B and it worked out great. Just about a 30 minute drive to and from each day. I'll take it. I do that getting to work each day anyway. The Kevin Morby pop up was GREAT! At first he didn't project his voice loud enough but he adjusted quickly and did great. He had no mic. He played Beautiful Strangers, Crybaby, another song I can't remember the name of...dang it, but finished it off with What I Got from Sublime. I didn't see that one coming! 

Me and a friend came over from the UK, we had an incredible time. Best was getting to meet first Glenn, then John, Pat and Nels in Courtyard D for Dawn of Midi's set. They were all so nice, especially Nels who talked to us for 20 minutes! He told us about the secret pop-ups so we got there early for Chikamorachi and Nels' set with his wife, which was fantastic! Hearing him sing was pretty cool. Then on Saturday we met Mikael watching Jeff Parker Trio, and then Nick Offerman too. Alas we couldn't hunt Mr Tweedy down but it was a pretty good haul of photos and chat with the band

As for them playing, we've seen them loads in the UK, but obviously the setlists were incredible. I've never seen them play with such intensity either, Spiders on Saturday night was MONSTROUS