The Late Greats

9:35

9:38

At Least That's What You Said

Jesus, Etc.

Locator

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

10:03

Blistering show. Even with a few flubs here and there, a gem. They brought the rock. Art of Almost and Pickled Ginger were early highlights for me, and ITMWLY and ALTWYS were downright combustible. We did not get a second encore of a couple Being There rockers (Monday and Outtasite) that were on the printed set list - 10 PM curfew cut it short.

Solid banter as well. I'll leave that up to others to give details (not my strength). I guess I have to go without a haircut for a while...

Great show overall and I will agree that they were rocking. Guess we lost Monday and Outtasite to the lengthy IG solo which was an impressive solo. This one was heavy on the technical side over tasteful, which is usually not my preference, but I was taken in none the less. 

Also: "You can't see it on the radio, can't see it any where you go."  :lol

Jeff on singing the Spiders riff: "Don't let Philly beat you!"

"Here's some more mid-tempo rock" *Goes into "Jesus, Etc."

And was I correct in hearing: "He lifted up his shirt at the battle of the bands"?

I will admit I was hoping to hear a couple of alternates to the Solid Sound tunes ("Late Greats"!) but was appreciative of being able to hear the tunes that will probably be lost from the roster on the next cycle (ALTWYS, Someday Soon, Reservations, and my fave You Are My Face) and to get a second listen to the way some of the live alterations make the songs burn white hot (Locator, ALTWYS, BBN ((best version)), I'm Always in Love, RNG). What a great time!

Had a great weekend in Portland, which started with the American Acoustic show at the State Theatre and ended last night with Wilco.

No real setlist curveballs, but that didn't take away from what was an enjoyable set. I can't think of many banter additions, aside from Jeff mentioning that John is living in Maine. He said something along the lines of: "We love it here so much that we installed an ambassador."

As he seems to be doing nightly, Jeff touched upon the political climate, which was bookended with comments to the effect of: "grow your hair long until Trump is impeached so that we can recognize each other as freaks" and then "don't grow your hair long, but love and take care of the freaks." Both my girlfriend and I thought that Jeff's messaging was clearer and more concise than what we had heard at SSF (which I enjoyed then, too). The gist was that we are on the side of creation and not destruction, that there needs to be more creation, and that whatever "this" is is winning.

Enjoyed running into some VCers and finally making it to a show at Thompson's Point. Until next time!

Jbray wrote

" appreciative of being able to hear the tunes that will probably be lost from the roster on the next cycle (ALTWYS, Someday Soon, Reservations, and my fave You Are My Face) and to get a second listen to the way some of the live alterations make the songs burn white hot (Locator, ALTWYS, BBN ((best version)), I'm Always in Love, RNG). What a great time! "

Totally agree especially your main point that these songs will not be in the heavy rotation on a new album tour.

It was one of the most Uptempo Rock Setlists I've seen them play in the last 12 years or so.

Liked this venue First Timer

Lucky for you locals that Wilco has now an ambassador living in Portland.

So dam glad I made the drive. People were so relaxed in the Pit if you will. An occasional buzzed group would snake up but I didn't see any real problem and the food&beer were great.

Footnote ; I have been to my share of shows in many states but the Recycling Effort at that venue Is the Best I have seen.

Hope they hit the Orpheum in Boston late Winter ..

Have a great summer folks.

Great show overall and I will agree that they were rocking. Guess we lost Monday and Outtasite to the lengthy IG solo which was an impressive solo. This one was heavy on the technical side over tasteful, which is usually not my preference, but I was taken in none the less. 

Also: "You can't see it on the radio, can't see it any where you go."  :lol

Jeff on singing the Spiders riff: "Don't let Philly beat you!"

"Here's some more mid-tempo rock" *Goes into "Jesus, Etc."

And was I correct in hearing: "He lifted up his shirt at the battle of the bands"?

I will admit I was hoping to hear a couple of alternates to the Solid Sound tunes ("Late Greats"!) but was appreciative of being able to hear the tunes that will probably be lost from the roster on the next cycle (ALTWYS, Someday Soon, Reservations, and my fave You Are My Face) and to get a second listen to the way some of the live alterations make the songs burn white hot (Locator, ALTWYS, BBN ((best version)), I'm Always in Love, RNG). What a great time!

Man, I'd rather hear Monday and Outtasite any day over an extended IG solo, especially those that favor the technical over the tasteful, head over the heart, etc. It's getting old for me, especially when they stretch it out so far. When it first appeared in live sets it was closer to album length. Now I use it as an opportunity to hit the bathroom, get a beer or go by the merchandise stand. At least make it interesting by letting Jeff or Pat take the lead. All three guitarists have their own brand of playing lead, and we don't ever get to hear Jeff or Pat's leads enough.

The mid-tempo rock/Jesus, etc., joke -> Jeff says the exact same thing on the Kicking Television live record! "Let's get this party started...with some mid-tempo rock..." Good times.

I'm not quite sure John lives in Portland. I live here and am out and about quite a bit I think he lives up mid-coast. But he does post a lot of Maine attractions on instragram. I also scanned his ticket at the Spoon show a couple weeks back at the State Theatre. 

Great show! Perfect night. Thompsons Point is a great spot. 

Did anybody notice that they are playing things slower lately? I'm sure its gotta be conscious discussion