I am getting such bad vibes about this one...in fact I have for days. While driving back down to southern California from Oregon after our eclipse trip, we talked about this approaching hurricane,and I felt the same sick foreboding that I had felt when Katrina was approaching.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope this threat turns out to be a false alarm. But if not, I hope everyone can keep themselves safe. Any VC members out there in Harvey's path, please check in when you can and let us know you are alright!

Now if only Shitler had appointed a director for FEMA...!

I know there are so many good people that were preparing for this and are working on no sleep to help people down there. I also know that weather is inherently difficult to predict.

All that said, you'd think at this point our nation could mount a better defense against this kind of disaster in advance. There should be more ways to mobilize responders from outside of the region, and to evacuate people inside the region faster.

I don't know exactly who or what I'm critiquing here, I just wish I could count on more systems to protect folks in the area.

^ I hear you. I was a dispatcher during hurricane sandy. From working with Fema to working my job dispatching utility trucks it is pure chaos. A lot of these companies are on such tight budgets they don't want to spend any money by preparing in advanced. It is always wait and see approach which is why some of the recoveries take so long. That being said I have nothing but praise for the first responders and utility workers who risk their lives in times of need.

We made it through without losing power or any water intrusion. Many friends have been mandatorily evacuated by national guard. Flooding is still happening even with the sun out, due to reservoir releases. It's just fucking awful all around. Many in the national media don't seem to get that the Houston metro area is larger than Massachusetts. There's every degree of damage, from none to horrific.

But people are rising to the occasion, and that's a great thing to watch.

We made it through without losing power or any water intrusion. Many friends have been mandatorily evacuated by national guard. Flooding is still happening even with the sun out, due to reservoir releases. It's just fucking awful all around. Many in the national media don't seem to get that the Houston metro area is larger than Massachusetts. There's every degree of damage, from none to horrific.

But people are rising to the occasion, and that's a great thing to watch.

Poca's and my thoughts have been with you for the last week. Peace go with you and your family, man.