Best Advice Wilco Ever Gave You in a Song?

You know how sometimes Jeff's ability to put things into words...indefinable emotions, odd transitions in life...you know how sometimes a lyric of his can just take you by both shoulders and give you a hard "wake up!" shake, or take you by the neck and simply throttle you? Or other times, can reduce you to nearly (ok, actually) sobbing in recognition? Or those times when he seems to give a sly conspiratorial wink in your general direction, and it lands like a sucker punch because that line was clearly written with YOU in mind?

Yeah, THOSE lyrics. Tell me which ones felt like the best over-the-counter meds you ever stumbled across.

I'm going with that stellar line, "What you once were isn't what you want to be, anymore." In one fell swoop, permission granted to change! Recognition given that we are all, always, in the ongoing process of reinventing ourselves and edging toward becoming our truer selves. So much expressed in that single line...frustration, exhilaration, determination, all at once.

What's your favorite Wilco advice?

SOOO many lines jump out at me!

"Let's turn our prayers into outrageous dares"

"I understand I'm just a fan"

"I want a good life, with a nose for things"

Fill up your mind with all it can know, don't forget that your body can let it all go"

I'll think of a hundred more   :dj

I don't know why but this has always shook me: 'it's almost gone. The night is dissolving in a cup god lifts to toast the lightning'.

Also, 'the air was crisp like sunny late winter days. springtime yawning high in the haze. and I felt like I belonged.' Beautiful imagery.

​i always thought this was an interesting insight and great advice for other artists and very poignant...

"And if the whole world’s singing your songs, And all of your paintings have been hung
Just remember what was yours, Is everyone’s from now on

And that’s not wrong or right, But you can struggle with it all you like, You'll only get uptight"

I trust no emotion

I believe in locomotion

But I've turned to rust as we've discussed

Though I must have let you down  

too many times In the dirt and the dust  

I have no idea how this happens

All of my maps have been overthrown

Happenstance has changed my plans

So many times my heart has been outgrown

Now everybody's feeling all alone

Can't tell you who I am

​i always thought this was an interesting insight and great advice for other artists and very poignant...

"And if the whole world’s singing your songs, And all of your paintings have been hung

Just remember what was yours, Is everyone’s from now on

And that’s not wrong or right, But you can struggle with it all you like, You'll only get uptight"

I trust no emotion

I believe in locomotion

But I've turned to rust as we've discussed

Though I must have let you down  

too many times In the dirt and the dust  

I have no idea how this happens

All of my maps have been overthrown

Happenstance has changed my plans

So many times my heart has been outgrown

Now everybody's feeling all alone

Can't tell you who I am

I love both of these.