Las Vegas concert shooting

Shocked to wake up to this....

Terrible, terrible news. People are insane. What is a realistic way to protect the audience at an event like this? I can't think of any.

I get a chill thinking of all the outdoor concerts I've been to that are in close proximity to very tall buildings - a handful of those just in the past few months.

I'm going down there in a few weeks. Was going to stay at Mandalay but it was booked up. The shows I'm going to are smaller & indoors. It's still frightening. I'm looking at footage of places I have walked several times.

Shocked to wake up to this....

Terrible, terrible news. People are insane. What is a realistic way to protect the audience at an event like this? I can't think of any.

We can keep the victims in our thoughts and prayers and then forget about it in 3 days time, until the next mass shooting.  This is the only thing our country is willing to do.  Any other realistic solution is too hard, complicated and results in yelling and peoples feeling's getting hurt.  

Wash, rinse, repeat.   

We can keep the victims in our thoughts and prayers and then forget about it in 3 days time, until the next mass shooting.  This is the only thing our country is willing to do.  Any other realistic solution is too hard, complicated and results in yelling and peoples feeling's getting hurt.  

Wash, rinse, repeat.   

"Too soon"

:frusty

I am heartbroken today. Having a very hard time keeping the faith and forging ahead. Will this finally be the attack that jolts our government into addressing our gun issues? The shooter had no trouble at all buying these massively destructive guns. These aren't the sort a person needs for hunting (unless it's humans) or for personal safety. GOD DAMN the NRA.

Put on some Tom Petty, loud, and let yourself cry.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

I hear ya and totally agree. But what is realistically going to change at this moment in time, especially with Trump as our president? If nothing changed after 6-year-olds were killed at Sandy Hook school, I don't see anything changing now.

Ban guns!

I am a lone voice and don't know how to change things. I continue to vote for those who support such issues but they don't win in my voting district.

Keep doing it though. Hearts and minds can change. Sometimes it takes just one pivotal event...maybe the LV shootings will finally be that breakthrough to many. This is me, being hopeful.

If Sandy Hook and killing children didn't do it, I doubt this will.

But that's just it...I think Sandy Hook DID have an effect, did change some minds. It's a shame some people are so intractible, there are some minds that no amount of reason will change. We all know some of these people.

But as more and more "undecided" fence-sitters wake up to the realities of our current gun state, I think we can eventually arrive at a groundswell of opposition that yields results. It won't be easy, and probably not quick, but there's no other sane approach but to keep resisting.

A young lady who’s a friend of big Wilco fans Jimmy and Liz McGuirl was seriously injured in the Las Vegas shooting. A friend has set up a GoFundMe page for her here: https://www.gofundme.com/allisons-recovery-fund.

If you read past the first page you’ll see Allison’s post about her experiences. Somehow it makes it all more real and relatable when you read a first person account. Allison’s injuries to her arm were serious and have already required 2 surgeries with more to come, and her boyfriend was less seriously injured with shrapnel wounds he received while trying to protect her. Allison is a traveling nurse who grew up in Virginia Beavch and graduated from the University of Virginia nursing program.

I’ll be staying with Jimmy and Liz the night of the Asheville show and am hoping we hear encouraging news from Allison by then.

But that's just it...I think Sandy Hook DID have an effect, did change some minds. It's a shame some people are so intractible, there are some minds that no amount of reason will change. We all know some of these people.

Most of these people are in congress, the only place where real change can occur on this topic. As long as the NRA is still a lobbying arm for the gun manufacturers we will never have meaningful gun legislation.

The media could do the world a huge favor and stop romanticizing these murderers. They just crowned this asshole the most successful mass murderer in American history. Now there are a couple hundred other lunatics thinking records are made to be broken. Obviously in today's world the identity will eventually get out but they could do away with the pictures and "Who is Stephen Paddock ?" headlines. I am sure all the hour news shows will have a full biography on him this week. 

Couple of things... I believe that the R’s are going to table the silencer/armor piercing ammo bill for the time being. Also gun manufacturers stock prices are up today, so that tells you where wall streets bets are.

After shootings like this the same things happen over and over...the guns used in the murders see a surge in sales. People call for unity and say don’t discuss legislation, it’s too soon, respect the dead etc... We hear tales of sorrow, of heroism, live shattered etc.,. The story moved to page two, then three, then four etc... we hear that it’s not the guns fault, that the shooter was mentally ill or a Muslim or black. The voices advocating sensible gun laws slowly fade or get drowned out . We find that x% of gun owners favor such laws. Then the congress either does nothing or weakens the laws. Soon we’ll have another shooting and start the process all over again.

Call your congressman and senators and demand something be done. Start with voting no on the silencer bill that's coming up.

I think your sarcasm detector might need new batteries...

You are correct about that.  In my defense, it's difficult to read that as sarcasm when it's the default position taken by far too many people after these killings.  But I suppose in a way that was your point.

The media could do the world a huge favor and stop romanticizing these murderers. They just crowned this asshole the most successful mass murderer in American history. Now there are a couple hundred other lunatics thinking records are made to be broken. Obviously in today's world the identity will eventually get out but they could do away with the pictures and "Who is Stephen Paddock ?" headlines. I am sure all the hour news shows will have a full biography on him this week. 

I've often thought about this in similar situations and I agree and disagree at the same time. Are the media supposed to not report who was responsible and do a background check on the person? Wouldn't the public demand to know?! Should the media just try to ignore the person responsible like MLB and other major sports have finally done when an asshole runs onto the field? There are biographies on Bundy and Dahmer and the Texas Tower guy and every other lunatic that has caused major chaos like this. 

Reported as to the number and the relation to other mass murders? Yeah, could probably be omitted. It's really not that hard to piece together, though, whether your an interested/concerned average Joe or a mass rampage lunatic in the making. 

I think the  "blame" (besides, obviously, the troubled dude who did it who we will, most of us, forget his name in a week or two) falls more on the politicians and the difficulty in attaining/affording mental health care, more so than the media reporting facts.

I'm not so sure that reporting the death count in relation to other similar horrific events and giving a background into the deranged killer is necessarily "romanticizing" the event, I guess.

ed. I just saw this, from my local media, btw (a"biography" on each of the victims in the shootings). There is balance in the media

http://www.9news.com/news/nation-world/victims-identified-las-vegas-shooting/480170042

ed. pt. 2. Not to beat this thing down, but another balanced piece from a local media source that highlights the good that can emerge from tragedy rather than mere body counts/profilie on the killer:

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/10/04/thornton-middle-school-principal-wounded-las-vegas/