Found on Reddit. Fair Point or Stay Home?

F**k me for sitting, right? - A Show Review

So I've been battling this inner ear thing this week that makes it difficult for me to stand for more than a few minutes at a time. But hey, that Wilco show I bought tickets to is seated, so no problem I can totally go to that!

Showed up early, got to my seats around seven. They were fantastic, dead in the center, pretty much the best I've ever had at Bass Hall.

Bob Schneider was amazing. Funny, poignant, delightful. I really enjoyed his set and would've been fine if he played longer.

The band came out and sounded great, of course. Side with the Seeds and Art of Almost were early highlights. Then Jeff decides he's not happy with the fact that everyone is sitting. "Sure has been a long time since we played a show where everyone sat down." WELL THEN MAYBE YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE BOOKED A FUCKING SEATED VENUE, EH?

From that point the three rows in front of us were standing. People were even yelling at those who remained seated to "STAND UP!" Hey maybe I can't, did you think of that? Fuck no you didn't, you selfish pricks.

And it wasn't just me seated. Fuck me, but also fuck the handicapped seats that were near us. Maybe they should just stand up, right? What about the retired couple behind us that were on their "one date night a year"? Surely they can overcome the fact that he came in with walker and just stand up for two hours? What about all of the people who said to themselves, "oh hey Wilco is coming and they're finally playing a seated venue! I can actually see them for once"?

So it turns out that all of the people who are physically incapable of standing for two hours just paid $70/ticket to look at someone's back. Fuck that, and fuck Jeff for being a smarmy asshole about it. This was my 12th Wilco show, and it'll be my last. If anyone wants the gig posters that are coming down off my walls, pm me. Otherwise they'll be in the trash.

I say that if you are going to get that upset at not being able to see, then stay home. 12 Wilco shows are more than enough to be aware of the sit v. stand issue and certainly enough to know Jeff Tweedy's feelings on the issue. If they thought that because it was a seated venue, it'd mean a Wilco show where everyone stayed seated, then the previous 11 shows were anomalies, or they weren't paying attention.

I understand his inability to stand, but that doesn't mean others won't. As Jeff often says, "It's a rock show". Also, did he ask the "retired couple" if this was their "one date night a year"?

If your inability to stand is going to cause you to have a shitty time at a rock concert, then you should stay home. I have not yet attended a seated show while physically unable to stand, but if I do, I'm prepared "to look at someone's back".

Since we're cussing a lot here is my live music preference. Arrive on time, take your cell phones and stick them up your ass, then sit, then don't get up for the next  2-3 hours. What are you going to do with that 29 seconds of black grainy footage of a distorted guitar solo recorded through a phone speaker? As far as sitting or standing good luck with that. I'd love to sit but never expect to. I also like to pee during Jesus Etc and Art of Almost.

Most venues have designated places for folks who can’t stand to sit and see the show with unobstructed views. It only takes communicating with the venue to aquire those accommodations. Dude should have maybe looked into it and not taken it so personally. Usually places are really nice about it.

^^^^^ "I also like to pee during Jesus etc. and Art of Almost"

That's quite a specific pleasure.

My question is do they seek out a restroom or enjoy themselves where they stand? :omg 

Twice in one show? I prefer to go during the 1st couple minutes of Impossible Germany.

I'm not the only one, then! Cheers.  :thumbup

goes without saying that even a "Seated Venue" people will stand at shows.  Most if not all venues have seats but people dont always sit.  I just saw Metallica at Dolphin Stadium and we were up all night...same with U2...Same with GNR.  It becomes an issue when its 50-50.  Wilco many times falls into that category.

12 shows and you forgot that people stand? Bummer that you can't stand for long periods of time, but if people want to stand, they'll stand.

My first Wilco show was at a seated venue and after a few songs Jeff commented on how it reminded him of a Catholic church with all the sitting, then standing, the sitting... etc.

I'll take your posters if you haven't trashed them yet!  :worried  Also, you should have approached  someone in the front row that was standing, and ask them if they would mind trading seats. Wilco fans are nice, even those that stand.  :twitchsmile Hell i would have traded you my great lower balcony seat if i would have been able to read your mind and know it was difficult for you to stand.