Wilco — 8 October 2017, Atlanta, GA (Fox Theatre)

Parking this thread, as usual, until I get a chance to put finger to keyboard...

Here was the complete setlist, as played (didn't see a printed setlist, so can't say if there were any changes/omissions):

You Are My Face

Cry All Day

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart>

Art Of Almost

Pickled Ginger

Side With The Seeds

If I Ever Was A Child

Handshake Drugs

Misunderstood (hootenanny arrangement — Nels on lap steel, Pat on banjitar, John on 12-string acoustic)

Somebody To Lose

War On War

Via Chicago

Bull Black Nova (acoustic/electric hybrid arrangement)

Reservations

Impossible Germany

Forget The Flowers

California Stars (with Margaret Glaspy and band on electric guitar and percussion)

Box Full Of Letters

Theologians

Heavy Metal Drummer>

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Hummingbird

------------------------------

Random Name Generator

Jesus, etc.

Hate It Here

The Late Greats

------------------------------

The Waiting [Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers]

Monday>

Outtasite (Outta Mind)

I thought it was an amazing show and I'm so glad everybody stood.  I was in the 1st row for Isbell a few months back at the Fox and was forced by security to sit, so everyone immediately standing was a nice relief for us.  Banter corner included Jeff calling out a "rich guy" sitting in the front row constantly on his "four phones making drug deals" while his wife stood and enjoyed the show.  "If you see something, say something, and this guy on his four phones has to be making drug deals."

Band was incredibly tight and I thought the set list was pretty much perfect.  I hadn't seen Wilco since the two Tabernacle shows in February 2016 and was just blown away in constant awe all night.  

I posted a few pics here, including the printed setlist.

https://twitter.com/jhester13/status/917337278820872192

An extraordinary performance made better by the great energy from the crowd. The most singing from the crowd I’ve heard at any Wilco show. You could see the guys were enjoying it, especially Pat, but lots of smiles all around.

Epic version of Art of Almost along with several other epic versions at the top of the set following it through Misunderstood. Someone to Lose was a bit of a breather and lost some of the crowd but War on War brought everyone back in.

Via Chicago was particularly brilliant and the acoustics in The Fox certainly helped. California Stars another highlight with Margaret Glaspy from opening band joining in and doing the solo.

Hummingbird and Jesus had a lot of audience participation and Jeff was clearly enjoying it with several big smiles during each, especially when audience messed some words up.

Energy from crowd was particularly intense while waiting for band to return for encores. The Atlanta fans were awesome except for the one guy up front on his phone.

Overall just a great show, an impressive performance and a wonderful night of music.

expiredparkingmeter.jpg

I plead guilty this time! Please tell me where to direct the fine... :ninja

Honestly I can't really think of much else to say about this one that hasn't already been said. I found it kind of amusing that when Jeff first checked in with the audience, he said, "It's been awhile." I mean, I know it had been 20 months since Wilco last played in Atlanta (two shows, no less), but there were other stops on this tour — and elsewhere, I'm sure — where it had been eight years! Just trying to keep perspective, but I'm glad all the Atlantans (ATLiens?) had a good time! ;)

Just about the only other thing Jeff said aside from the "guy with four phones" interlude, which also included a comment that "I can't get a good read on your guys," was reiterating his usual "Take care of each other, don't get discouraged, don't get cynical" line near the end of the show. Once again, he was not exactly super gabby. :chatterbox

Has anyone else noticed that Jeff has been noodling on his guitar a bit lately before starting some songs? He's definitely been doing it before Someone To Lose, so much that I almost get the slightest hope that he'll actually go into a different song — not that I dislike STL, relatively speaking — and I think he was doing it a bit before Bull Black Nova as well. He also did a little vocal noodling of sorts before Handshake Drugs last night, playing it off as "Wilco warmups...that's what pros do" (i.e. not warm up their voices until the show is actually happening). Anyway, probably the kind of observations that only an idiot like me would make. :devil

Last thing: The lack of the count-in to Monday is still annoying me. Onward to Asheville... :frusty

I plead guilty this time! Please tell me where to direct the fine... :ninja

Honestly I can't really think of much else to say about this one that hasn't already been said. I found it kind of amusing that when Jeff first checked in with the audience, he said, "It's been awhile." I mean, I know it had been 20 months since Wilco last played in Atlanta (two shows, no less), but there were other stops on this tour — and elsewhere, I'm sure — where it had been eight years! Just trying to keep perspective, but I'm glad all the Atlantans (ATLiens?) had a good time! ;)

Just about the only other thing Jeff said aside from the "guy with four phones" interlude, which also included a comment that "I can't get a good read on your guys," was reiterating his usual "Take care of each other, don't get discouraged, don't get cynical" line near the end of the show. Once again, he was not exactly super gabby. :chatterbox

Has anyone else noticed that Jeff has been noodling on his guitar a bit lately before starting some songs? He's definitely been doing it before Someone To Lose, so much that I almost get the slightest hope that he'll actually go into a different song — not that I dislike STL, relatively speaking — and I think he was doing it a bit before Bull Black Nova as well. He also did a little vocal noodling of sorts before Handshake Drugs last night, playing it off as "Wilco warmups...that's what pros do" (i.e. not warm up their voices until the show is actually happening). Anyway, probably the kind of observations that only an idiot like me would make. :devil

Last thing: The lack of the count-in to Monday is still annoying me. Onward to Asheville... :frusty

We will be there too. Any chance to meet up before for a cocktail or mocktail if your not a drinker.

We will be there too. Any chance to meet up before for a cocktail or mocktail if your not a drinker.

Sent you a PM with my number.

I thought the sound was muddy and it was so loud to the point of distortion.

To be honest, from where I was — maybe nine rows back, slightly stage left — the sound wasn't optimal either. My word for is was "boomy." Anyway, I think it was more a function of the room and/or the speaker placement than Stan but yeah I'm glad someone else said so.

The Fox is definitely a tricky venue when it comes to sound.  I have always had the best luck when seated in the first 5 rows of the loge.  Unfortunately, being up there puts you on the frontline in the battle of "Sitters vs. Standers"

I enjoyed this show a lot, I think it's probably my favorite of the 3 I saw this tour- the sound was good in the pit for us, and we had a great view of the whole stage from 4 rows back. The couple in front of us insisted on holding their phones up for photos nearly every song, so that was the only annoying things to speak of, I guess. 

It was a little weird the setlist in B'Ham, ATL, and Asheville were so similar, but I guess it might just be the way things are this tour, if not all tours going forward, where the deeper cuts are reserved for residencies or something... I don't really care too much because all live Wilco is better than no live Wilco. 

The Fox is a lovely place to see a show. I'm glad everybody stood all night too.