• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This administration has provided no evidence that Iran was cheating on the agreement. At least, none that I've seen reported. The nuclear agency tasked with the inspections have said time and time again that Iran is complying. Who do you trust? Someone who provides not a shred of evidence to back up his claim or people in the field with firsthand knowledge?

I didn't think the impetus to pulling out of the deal was Iran's non compliance.  I understood that it was that Trump thought it was a bad deal.  Really in all likelihood it was because it was something Obama did and honestly his sole purpose as president is to undo every single thing Obama did. 

I didn't think the impetus to pulling out of the deal was Iran's non compliance. I understood that it was that Trump thought it was a bad deal. Really in all likelihood it was because it was something Obama did and honestly his sole purpose as president is to undo every single thing Obama did.

Exactly. Pulling out of a deal because the other party doesn't live up to the agreement is perfectly reasonable. But pulling out because you think the agreement itself is bad is a dangerous precedent to set.

NK is savvy enough to know that the vast majority Americans don't want Trump as president.  And the whole world knows he is a dangerous, incompetent fool.  So, dropping a couple minor wins in his lap is one way to increase the odds that he stays in office for another term (and possibly the rest of his life), thus damaging the USA and its reputation around the world without having to actually do anything.

North Korea is threatening to bail from the "negotiations" due to joint military exercises between the US and South Korea. Wow, I didn't see this coming! I am shocked.....SHOCKED!

RIP Dodd-Frank Act.

Any guesses on when the next global financial crisis will occur?

I was listening to Barney Frank's analysis on the bill that pushes back. He actually made it sound like not as dire of a situation as you might think. I'd be out of my element to try and summarize what he said, but he said while he wouldn't vote for it and increased some risks, it is the most the GOP could muster and leaves the majority of the act in tact to do what it was intended to. 

Some of his statement is recapped here:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/22/613390275/congress-to-undo-part-of-dodd-frank-easing-rules-for-mid-sized-smaller-banks

I was listening to Barney Frank's analysis on the bill that pushes back. He actually made it sound like not as dire of a situation as you might think. I'd be out of my element to try and summarize what he said, but he said while he wouldn't vote for it and increased some risks, it is the most the GOP could muster and leaves the majority of the act in tact to do what it was intended to.

Some of his statement is recapped here:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/22/613390275/congress-to-undo-part-of-dodd-frank-easing-rules-for-mid-sized-smaller-banks

Working in the financial services industry (my company provides software for banks) the time right before the financial crisis was awesome. Banks were spending money hand over fist and when the crisis hit man did it suck. So I guess I hope the banks rolling in it lasts for another 25 years until I retire.

• 3 weeks later...

I also hate Trump, but I'm very much pro World Peace.  So if the Singapore Summit reduces the potential nuclear threat from North Korea, to me that's a good thing.  And if along the way that means giving some credit to Trump, I'll hold my nose and do it. 

Ok, you have to elaborate.

Chez got it here:

I also hate Trump, but I'm very much pro World Peace.  So if the Singapore Summit reduces the potential nuclear threat from North Korea, to me that's a good thing.  And if along the way that means giving some credit to Trump, I'll hold my nose and do it. 

If I were South Korea I’d be super leary!

I think we should all be leary. We're dealing with mad men here, but they could be working towards something that would make everyone safer.

Sure I am for world peace and all, but this certainly is not it.  I don't trust either men.  I wouldn't be surprised this whole thing was set up behind the scenes by Russia to prop up Trump for the mid terms.  And you think, a country that is so secretive is really gonna let inspectors in their country to make sure they are not going forward with a nuclear weapons program?  Heck, you might say this could bring us closer to war, Trump can say hey look, I tried, but NK broke the deal so now wer get to bomg the shit out them (I am looking at late spring 2020).  So I am pessimistic as fuck.