So I've been thinking about this: the immigration debate by every indication is coming down to a kind of Sophie's choice for democrats. Will they accept a wall in exchange for DACA?

Every time this trade has come up in the news cognitive dissonance has made me stop thinking about it. Maybe there's some other way for it to go down, but that might just be it. Obviously the moral answer is yes, but it's a tough pill to swallow. It would be such an expensive, ignorant, and disgusting symbol to his perception of success.

This is a no trainer, the Dems should trade DACA for a wall. The wall will take years to build, sure there will be some BS ground breaking after the bill is signed, but a massive project like that would take a long ass time. By the time there is a new president, they will be able to stop it.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The possible gutting of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is very disconcerting. Again many of his voters probably may have no idea of it's dismantling or it's being framed as just cutting big government/regulation.

Yet, many of his voters will get eventually screwed by big business and have no recourse. 

https://www.npr.org/2018/02/12/584980698/trump-administration-to-defang-consumer-protection-watchdog

The possible gutting of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is very disconcerting. Again many of his voters probably may have no idea of it's dismantling or it's being framed as just cutting big government/regulation.

Yet, many of his voters will get eventually screwed by big business and have no recourse. 

https://www.npr.org/2018/02/12/584980698/trump-administration-to-defang-consumer-protection-watchdog

Yeah, this action terrifies me. If this is how trump defines winning, he's right...I'm sick of it.

Another deadly mass shooting at a high school. Almost not worth even mentioning since nothing will change. Just the price of freedom, amirite?

This country has normalized gun violence and mass shootings, by white people. Our nation will sit back and cry and do nothing. But if an immigrant accidentally shoots someone we gotta kick them all out and build a fucking wall.

Oh for all you thoughts and prayers people out there. Shove your prayers up your ass.

These deaths are the responsibility of the NRA and the spineless politicians.

The shooter's name is apparently Nicolas de Jesus Cruz, so stay tuned.

Gateway pundit got to his name, looked him up and proclaimed him a liberal democrat voter etc... only they got it wrong, completely. The actual shooter spells his name with a k, nikolas. So now some guy is probably getting death threats and unwarranted harassment because some shit heads, Lucien Weintrich/gateway pundit, were trying to score quick political points rather than actually doing some reporting.

You could say that about 95% of the media that is out there. Journalism is dead.

I wouldn't go that far. I'll give you maybe 65% and that maybe that is even  high. I think your letting the Trump regime influence you --- when you hear 'fake news' enough, even the non-Trumpites start believing it.

They whole "trying to get the stories out first" is definitely hurting journalism -- but there are alot of outlets still doing the leg work and putting out great, interesting stuff and keeping the government in check.

It is much harder now getting through the abundance of information that is out there and seperating it from fact and opinion, though. Which is what opposition to the fourth estate wants. 

I am refering to print media - not radio/TV.

Gateway pundit got to his name, looked him up and proclaimed him a liberal democrat voter etc... only they got it wrong, completely. The actual shooter spells his name with a k, nikolas. So now some guy is probably getting death threats and unwarranted harassment because some shit heads, Lucien Weintrich/gateway pundit, were trying to score quick political points rather than actually doing some reporting.

So it turns out the shooter has links to white supremacist groups. Another reminder that extremist whit nationalism is just as dangerous as extremist Islamic ideologies. In fact, I gather in this country it's statistically more dangerous.

So it turns out the shooter has links to white supremacist groups. Another reminder that extremist whit nationalism is just as dangerous as extremist Islamic ideologies. In fact, I gather in this country it's statistically more dangerous.

This may or may not be true. Right now there’s one source who does not quite get the shooters name right. In the long run he may be a white supremicist, but the sourcing is sketchy right now.

This may or may not be true. Right now there’s one source who does not quite get the shooters name right. In the long run he may be a white supremicist, but the sourcing is sketchy right now.

Tell me again how real media tries to get things right?

Well at least John Smith is trying to get things right.

As long as we have that we are all good.

I don't mean to be cynical or belittle anyone, but I am just so sick of this shit. Honestly these mass shootings have become like a TV show, and each news outlet trying to scoop the other and just sensationalizing things. But not enough for anyone to do anything. It is maddening. I used to get outraged now I am just depressed and resigned to the fact this will happen again and again until I die. Fuck

I gave up when the slaughter of 20 six year olds didn't change anything. We're a fucking cold, cold hearted country.

But you know what, I don't think we are. I think the majority of Americans are pretty good, decent people. The problem is the amount of money and influence of the NRA. WE can't give up. Many big fights were only won in gradual increments, until finally the tide was turned. Then, looking back, we see that it was always inevitable. But it is very hard to stay committed until the tide turns.

Stay outraged. Resist and fight the NRA and its power over our government.

A handful of kids get sick after eating laundry detergent and politicians rush to make laws to prevent this travesty.

Hundreds of kids are murdered because of gun violence and they are all like ‍" thoughts and prayers"

This is what NRA gets you.

As long as we have that we are all good.

I don't mean to be cynical or belittle anyone, but I am just so sick of this shit. Honestly these mass shootings have become like a TV show, and each news outlet trying to scoop the other and just sensationalizing things. But not enough for anyone to do anything. It is maddening. I used to get outraged now I am just depressed and resigned to the fact this will happen again and again until I die. Fuck

Don't sell yourself short.  It'll continue after you die.

Resignment is what the oppostion to gun control wants - I would say the oppostion greatly benifits with these shootings and are completely fine with it. The more these events occur the more people resign to the fact "oh well, a 'crazy' person is gonna kill if they want to --- they gonna find a gun - no matter what, anyways" - so they give up opposing the gun lobby. 

Like President Obama always likes to say -  pertaining to how democratic societies work: They are like ocean liners: you turn the wheel slowly, and the big ship pivots.

Gun control - like civil rights - is a huge issue. It took over a hundred years to figure out the civil rights issue (during the 60s) and we are still not all the way there, yet.

I would say the gun issue started in earnest with the assassination attempt of Reagan and the Brady bill. The attempt was in 81 and the bill  was finally introduced in 91 and finally passed in 94. 

Anyway I would suggest not caving.

Also for some reason when I read KevinG's post I thought of the below - (not to trying to make light of the issue)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI

Stay outraged. Resist and fight the NRA and its power over our government.

Exactly. The cliched "Can't we let the families grieve before we politicize' argument (which doesn't make sense for many reasons) was countered in a meme that I saw. It had the faces of the Sandy Hook victims and said that if we can't talk about gun control until people have had time to grieve the Florida massacre, then maybe it's been sufficient time to talk about it in the context of Sandy Hook.

The real point is, it's not the worthlessness of our arguments, it's how short-lived they are. Our news cycle is wiped out by Trump scandals every week or so. When was the last time you heard someone talk about legislation against bump stocks in the wake of the Vegas shooting? The gun control movement needs to figure out how to stay visible after the news cycle is done feeding off the most recent mega-tragedy. Easier said than done though.