people tend to hunt more with rifles than handguns. no reason why an 18 year old can't buy a hunting rifle, imo.

Yeah - my wife told me about the hunting angle, last night --- I  should have stated, I didn't realize that one had to be 21 for a handgun -- I always figured it was 18 across the board.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, my parents didn't know me very well so.......plus, it was the '70s.

Would I buy my 16 yr old son a rifle? Probably but he doesn't want one so problem solved.

My friend had a 22 and a shot gun. We would shoot targets and such. I did more watching than shooting. He was a few years older than me and in hind-sight we were always unsupervised - which may have not been wise, but we survived, as well as everyone and thing around us...

He still is a big gun guy - don't think he ever leaves his house without one - I have never asked him if was a NRA member.

Yeah - my wife told me about the hunting angle, last night --- I  should have stated, I didn't realize that one had to be 21 for a handgun -- I always figured it was 18 across the board.

I have no problem with an 18 year old being able to buy a rifle, handgun, etc.  If you are allowed to vote in this country and serve in the military you should have all of the rights given to every citizen.   None of this 18-20 grey area of semi citizenry (looking at you stupid drinking laws).    

What I have a problem with is anyone being able to buy a military style assault weapon.  

One of the biggest challenges in this national conversation is the anti-gun group is often (naturally) not totally gun literate. In reality, the pro-gun side of things is correct: the AR15 isn't unlike several other models of semi-automatic rifles. Assault rifle is not a very formally defined term.

Pragmatically, what would reduce casualties in a mass shooting is a ban on all semi-automatic weapons. A country of only double-barrel shotguns, 6 shooter revolvers, and bolt action rifles is not a murder-free one. But it's one where sportsmen can effectively hunt, make-my-day fantasy obsessives can imagine blowing away a bad-guy intruder, and most importantly law enforcement and citizens would have way more space to respond to a psycho with a gun. The casualty tallies would be brought down significantly, lives could objectively be saved.

One of the biggest challenges in this national conversation is the anti-gun group is often (naturally) not totally gun literate. In reality, the pro-gun side of things is correct: the AR15 isn't unlike several other models of semi-automatic rifles. Assault rifle is not a very formally defined term.

Pragmatically, what would reduce casualties in a mass shooting is a ban on all semi-automatic weapons. A country of only double-barrel shotguns, 6 shooter revolvers, and bolt action rifles is not a murder-free one. But it's one where sportsmen can effectively hunt, make-my-day fantasy obsessives can imagine blowing away a bad-guy intruder, and most importantly law enforcement and citizens would have way more space to respond to a psycho with a gun. The casualty tallies would be brought down significantly, lives could objectively be saved.

Good points.  Related to this, I've been seeing a lot of pro-gun folks arguing that if you don't use the right terminology or have a thorough working knowledge of guns, you aren't entitled to an opinion on the matter, which is patently absurd.

Rather than banning semi-automatic weapons (which I think is a non-starter), I think that's where the threshold for enhanced background checks and gun registration should happen. Owning a weapon that can do massive damage in a short period of time is a heavy responsibility, and should be treated as such.

Rather than banning semi-automatic weapons (which I think is a non-starter), 

I assume you're talking about public opinion here which seems likely, but I'd love to see some polling on the topic. The more I think about it, the more it seems like where we need to go.

The machine gun, and it's relative scarcity, seems symbolic to me of how as a country we draw lines and aren't by nature an anything goes, elemental-gun-country.

I assume you're talking about public opinion here which seems likely, but I'd love to see some polling on the topic. The more I think about it, the more it seems like where we need to go.

I'm no gun expert, but I would suspect that the vast majority of handguns owned in this country are semi-automatic.  I think a blanket ban like that is too radical of an idea for it to gain any political traction.  But like I said, that could be where the threshold is set for enhanced background checks, registration, etc.

I'm no gun expert, but I would suspect that the vast majority of handguns owned in this country are semi-automatic.  

I can't think of a pistol that isn't semi-automatic. 

Edit: It seems a revolver isn't deemed a semi-automatic, even though it fires a shot every time you pull the trigger...

I can't think of a pistol that isn't semi-automatic. 

Edit: It seems a revolver isn't deemed a semi-automatic, even though it fires a shot every time you pull the trigger...

Except for the seventh time.

lol... a million dollar goal.

Go Fund Me?

Go Fuck Yourself.

She likely has and since it paid off in the past...