Now Reading in 2018

It was time for an updated thread.

So, did you all get some books as gifts over the holidays? Or maybe saw fit to gift yourself with a book you were worried no one would give you?

Books are so necessary to one's overall wellbeing that they ought to qualify as a medical expense.Tax deductable.

I got one book I had been wishing for. It's about Mass MoCA. The title is something like "From Mill to Museum" but I don't have it in reach. Fascinating book, fascinating photos! Disorienting, for those who've been to Solid Sound, because (obviously) things have changed since the grounds were a mill, and an electric company.

I also got a box of books that were a surprise package, at discounted price, from one bookseller. Those titles were almost all unfamiliar but each book looks really intriguing! Fun to get a mixed bag like that.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got one book I had been wishing for. It's about Mass MoCA. The title is something like "From Mill to Museum" but I don't have it in reach. Fascinating book, fascinating photos! Disorienting, for those who've been to Solid Sound, because (obviously) things have changed since the grounds were a mill, and an electric company.

I got that book after going to MassMOCA to see the Magnetic Fields.  It is really well done - but I think it could probably use an update as they just opened up a whole new area.  

I'm reading "Your Band Sucks, What I Saw in Indie Rocks Failed Revolution But Can No Longer Here".

I haven't gotten to 'the problem with music' section of the book. So far it's teenage reminiscences about playing in the underground during the author's college years in the 80's.

Just picked up "The Man from Muscle Shoals" by Rick Hall. It came with a DVD copy of the excellent documentary "Muscle Shoals."

That documentary is fantastic! It was on Netflix last time I checked.  I found out a couple of days ago that Rick Hall recently passed  R.I.P.

Started this -- seems like all the cool kids have read it.

That book is a ton of fun.

I Can't Breathe -A Killing on Bay Street by Taibbi is a fantastic book....though sobering

I want to read this. Eric Garner's story is such a tragic one.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm almost done with the "Fire and Fury" book. I started it hesitantly but was pleased to find that it didn't read like a gossip magazine. No one will ever know how much of the book is accurate but even if only 20% of it is, wow. To my knowledge, there has never been such a group of dingalings in charge of a 1st world country before.

It is rather telling that the GOP hasn't attempted to refute anything in the book....

I haven't read that particular book but it's a great and tragic story.

And it's why Nova Scotia sends Boston a Christmas tree every year ...

It was a good read. I did not know much about the subject before reading it.

The town of Wolfville, NS plays a role in the book. I see that Jeff is set to play there on his upcoming solo tour. Population: 4,100.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks to "Oil Can Boyd" for posting the below - finished it up last week - great, fun read. It's great that the author/illustrator had a "non-New Yorker who was living in New York City at the time" point of view. Just the right amount of snark throughout.

•  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 01:00 PM

51DjkMSjwQL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I can't tell you how much I am enjoying this book.  It is part graphic novel but mostly an interesting personal history of New York City.  It is funny and fascinating and informative.   

Thanks to "Oil Can Boyd" for posting the below - finished it up last week - great, fun read. It's great that the author/illustrator had a "non-New Yorker who was living in New York City at the time" point of view. Just the right amount of snark throughout.

•  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 01:00 PM

51DjkMSjwQL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I can't tell you how much I am enjoying this book.  It is part graphic novel but mostly an interesting personal history of New York City.  It is funny and fascinating and informative.   

Glad you enjoyed it.  I keep it on my coffee table and still pick it up and just flip through it.  I'm always seeing different things in her drawings.  

And good point about the non-New Yorker view of NYC.  I think a native New Yorker might have a different take and might not be as fascinated by some of the detail of the city.