Now Reading in 2018

"Dirt", the Motley Crue tell-all. Cripes, what a bunch of dirt bags. I completely forgot about Vince killing his pal in a drunk driving accident. I don't see myself finishing this one.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reading John Perry Barlow's "Mother American Night" now.

Read that while vacationing --- quick read. Nice format, chapter-wise, with each covering a single episode. Definitely learned a lot. I do wish him and Weir would have wrote more songs together. 

Picking up that latest Dead book from the library today - the one that deals with 95 and after. I wonder how far I will get.

Now reading the below - walked by her Savannah home last week, so I figured it was time to revisit her. Just poking around. In the middle of 'Parker's Back', now - man it's a good one...

9780940450370.jpg?1445894846

• 2 weeks later...

Now reading the below - walked by her Savannah home last week, so I figured it was time to revisit her. Just poking around. In the middle of 'Parker's Back', now - man it's a good one...

9780940450370.jpg?1445894846

One of my favorite writers. I've been dipping into this one for several years, a story here and there, come back to it a few months later.....

9780374515362-us.jpg

Just finished "Astral Weeks: A secret history of 1968" by Ryan Walsh. It covers a number of topics including Van Morrison's time in Boston, writing and recording Astral Weeks, the Mel Lyman cult (which I've never heard of before), the explosion of the use of LSD in society, the rise of The Boston Tea Party (a live music venue) and the Velvet Undergrounds's time spent there. Walsh did a fine job of weaving all of those topics into a fascinating story line. Anyone know that Van Morrison was into the occult? Not me. Anyways, check it out.

I saw Walsh read from this a few weeks ago and he was quite good.  He told some stories that were not in the book and expanded on some other things (like his weird night with Peter Wolf trying to listen to recordings of Van Morrison from the summer of '68).  One of the interesting moments was when someone who had been at one of these legendary Van Morrison shows at the Catacombs chimed in and said that they really did live up to the hype.  

^^wow, very cool^^

The story from the guy in the audience was great.  He said he was out walking around Boston and saw a sign that Van Morrison was playing.  He didn't have any other plans and he knew Brown Eyed Girl but that was about it so he went in.  There were about 30 people in the club.  He said the band was sort of jamming and sort of tuning but it was not really coherent but then the song Astral Weeks emerged and it was incredible.  And then the band kept playing and they would get quiet at the end of the song (while still playing) and people were not sure whether they should clap but then the band would pick up and play on.  He said that after about 40 minutes the band stopped and the audience was stunned.  

Can't remember, did the author ever end up hearing a tape from a performance at the Catacombs -- Wolf was suppose to have had it, right?

Wolf has them and Ryan Walsh saw them in Wolf's apartment, but Wolf's story has changed.  When they met, Wolf said that he would need to "bake" the tapes before they could be played or transferred, but if I'm remembering correctly, Walsh later met someone who had digital copies provided by Wolf.  I believe Walsh has heard them but does not have them in any format.  

Got it, thanks - I remember Wolf kinda giving Walsh a bit of a run around.

Yeah, he's very clear that: 1) arranging the meeting with Wolf was complicated; 2) they had a really interesting, long night of talk and stories; 3) Wolf hinted about getting Walsh access to the tapes; and 4) he never heard from Wolf again and that any attempts to contact him were rebuffed.  

"Just a Shot Away:Peace, Love and Tragedy with the Rolling Stones at Altamont: by S. Austerlitz. Mostly a retread of old news but there is a lot of new info (to me anyways) about Meredith Hunter that I found interesting. There is no way that kid was going to shoot a Stone. The author also attempts to paint the Grateful Dead as equally responsible for the chaos which I'm not buying.

"Just a Shot Away:Peace, Love and Tragedy with the Rolling Stones at Altamont: by S. Austerlitz. Mostly a retread of old news but there is a lot of new info (to me anyways) about Meredith Hunter that I found interesting. There is no way that kid was going to shoot a Stone. The author also attempts to paint the Grateful Dead as equally responsible for the chaos which I'm not buying.

Is the info Austerlitz's book differ than in the below? Not sure if you read the below one or not.  

9780062444257_p0_v3_s600x595.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...