Now Reading in 2018

Finally got around to La Belle Sauvage from The Book of Dust trilogy by Phillip Pullman, you know the new entries into The Golden Compass/His Dark Materials books. I feel like a huge dork after typing that.

Anyways, 150 pages in and it's fantastic. Vivid, fast moving, full of mystery, great economy of language and efficient characterization. If the Golden Compass books felt like they were for 13 year olds- but so good anyone could read them- this feels more like an easy read aimed at adults who loved the other books as kids. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Oliver Sacks' The River of Consciousness

I always loved his contributions to the Radiolab podcast. I perused my local library and randomly ended up with his last book before his death. It might have made more sense to start with one of his older staples, but I never seem to get into bands, directors, writers in the normal sequence.

Anyway, if like me you love science in the sense of the big ideas, the history and philosophy of science while not being particularly bright enough to follow the nitty gritty processes to be a scientist yourself this book is great. So far I'm just in the section about plant intelligence which is pretty dang cool. Reminds me a little bit of David Quammen who has written some great books, especially his book about Charles Darwin.

34128230._UY400_SS400_.jpg

Oliver Sacks' The River of Consciousness

I always loved his contributions to the Radiolab podcast. I perused my local library and randomly ended up with his last book before his death. It might have made more sense to start with one of his older staples, but I never seem to get into bands, directors, writers in the normal sequence.

Anyway, if like me you love science in the sense of the big ideas, the history and philosophy of science while not being particularly bright enough to follow the nitty gritty processes to be a scientist yourself this book is great. So far I'm just in the section about plant intelligence which is pretty dang cool. Reminds me a little bit of David Quammen who has written some great books, especially his book about Charles Darwin.

34128230._UY400_SS400_.jpg

I LOVE Sacks' writing! And I can't believe I haven't read that! He is so good at making science into a fascinating story.

True story: i once gave an Oliver Sacks book to Jeff Tweedy. ("The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat") No idea if he ever read it, but it was so good I wanted to share.

Read, "the lost city of the monkey good: a true story" and "Astrophysics for people in a hurry" on planes this weekend. Started "The buried giant" too. I started using my wife's Kindle and forgot how much I read when I can just turn the page to the next book instead of having to figure out what to read. (got all from my library too).

True story: i once gave an Oliver Sacks book to Jeff Tweedy. ("The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat") No idea if he ever read it, but it was so good I wanted to share.

I feel like I'm probably supposed to read that one. Maybe if I stay on a non-fiction kick I'll jump into it next.

Agreed on Sacks writing. He's one of those writers who makes my loved ones suffer from me randomly sharing something I'm thinking about that I just read.

"Been So Long: My Life and Music" by Jorma Koukonen. It's ok, not a real deep dive into the heyday of Jefferson Airplane which was my primary interest...

"Been So Long: My Life and Music" by Jorma Koukonen. It's ok, not a real deep dive into the heyday of Jefferson Airplane which was my primary interest...

Considered this one but didn't know if it'd hold my attention for an entire book....

Yeah, the book is now covering the 1980s, when I saw HT a bunch of times, and I'm considering putting it down. Jorma, not surprisingly, is quite the fiend when it comes to various awful substances. Frankly, he kinda comes off like a real loser. Constantly abused by his wife, etc.

I checked out Jorma's book from the library but did not get to around to read it before was due back. Still plan on reading it at some point.

I have been reading the below - got a signed copy last month when I purchased the Duane Allman Skydog vinyl  set (great set by the way). Only up to the point where him and Gregg formed the Hourglass. She is a pretty great writer.

Enjoy the personal take, even though she doesn't remember him at all. 

51gn8WNCK3L._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Yeah, the book is now covering the 1980s, when I saw HT a bunch of times, and I'm considering putting it down. Jorma, not surprisingly, is quite the fiend when it comes to various awful substances. Frankly, he kinda comes off like a real loser. Constantly abused by his wife, etc.

On a nice note, he's been sober/clean for over 20 years....