• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dark, the new(ish) series on Netflix. It's like if Stranger Things is an amazing graphic novel, Dark is an amazing novel. Science fiction all grown up with pacing, subtlety, layered characters, the whole nine yards.

One disclaimer, it's a German show and apparently Netflix decided we're all idiots so it defaults to the dubbed version. You have to go into languages to switch it back to the original German and get some English subtitles, unless of course you are bilingual in a way that I am not.

Have to look into^ Dark. Pretty sure my wife and I have the closed caption on all the time on tv these days, anyway.

ed. Really looking forward to the new Letterman series on Netflix.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally saw the new Star Wars movie and absolutely hated it. Not sure I'll bother to watch any future offerings from that once beloved franchise.

The XTC documentary "This is Pop" -- thanks to poster "i'm only sleeping" for the recommendation.  So many great songs.

I also watched a Bowie documentary on HBO that focused on the last five years of his life.

"The Shape of Water". Really enjoyed it. A likely best picture nominee for sure.

“The Post," which every American should see in order to better understand and appreciate the importance of a free press.

“Call Me By Your Name.” Pretty emotionally powerful story. To me it kinda seemed a bit long and slow at times, but still a very good movie.

We have few episodes left of season 2 of 'The Crown' --- I enjoy the history back stories way more than the relationship issues of Elizabeth and Philip. I would have banished Philip to some tower if I was Elizabeth...

Though I did chuckle when Philip made a crack on Elizabeth's new hairdo. 

The Detectorists series 3 (not quite up there with previous but I still love the gentle pace)

Inside No. 9 series 4 (I think). First was a dud for me but now back on form. Also caught a few from earlier series I had missed on iPlayer

Spiral series 6. Sorry to see 'Mr Judge' go.

That Oasis Supersonic film. Never was a huge fan but the brothers have always been entertaining to listen to talking and I found it well put together. Parental advisory warning for language :-)

Over the course of the year I do a solid job of seeing eventual Oscar nominees--the result, no doubt, of being a ravenous cinephile--so when the noms finally arrive I usually have few gaps to fill. This year, my initial reaction to the announced nominations was, "Dammit, now I have to see Ferdinand."

Crossed that one off tonight.

We have few episodes left of season 2 of 'The Crown' --- I enjoy the history back stories way more than the relationship issues of Elizabeth and Philip. I would have banished Philip to some tower if I was Elizabeth...

Though I did chuckle when Philip made a crack on Elizabeth's new hairdo. 

I kept waiting for Philip to step into the TARDIS and leave Elizabeth behind ...

Saw "Phantom Thread." It can seem slow, especially if you don't like movies in which the main feature is the acting. But the performances by Daniel Day-Lewis, Vicky Krieps and Lesley Manville are fantastic. I thoroughly enjoyed it. No special effects. No explosions. No superheroes. No monsters. Just a well-acted, very good movie with a slow burn. 

I've now seen every movie nominated for best picture this year. They're all good. 

Steven Soderbergh's Mosaic - This was an awesome limited series on HBO that originally started out as an App where you control the narrative. I enjoyed the story & characters so much that I want to download the App for a different experience. There were hardly any promos for this show which actually ran Monday through Friday of last week. The App came out sometime in the fall.

I just finished the first episode of Altered Carbon which I thought was excellent. The concepts, production design and the story drew me in right away. I had read the synopsis of the book awhile ago, but to see it and experience it as a tv show was exciting. If you like sci-fi and film noir, go ahead and check it out.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw "Annihilation" on Friday night, pretty trippy. It appears the film makes folks either hate it or love it. I liked it.

Watched "Lucky" last night. Wow, what a great send off for Harry Dean Stanton. It brought me to tears twice.