• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched "A Quiet Place" and started the new Handmaids season over the weekend. Liked them all

Just watched the Michelle Wolf WHCD monologue...

Not sure what all the hubbub is about. 

To me, her speech was nothing (as far as being incendiary) compared the one Steven Colbert gave in '06. And his speech came and left without much ado.

Worth a read from Elayne Boosler

http://time.com/5261014/michelle-wolf-trump-white-house-correspondents-dinner/

Like all bullies, current President “I’d run in there even if I didn’t have a weapon” is a coward. He’s capable of delivering his “witticisms” against the media, Democrats and others only from a safe distance. Like all bullies, he can never engage on an even playing field.

Wolf was “wildly inappropriate” and “raunchy” and didn’t take the high road? The high road was demolished at Donald Trump’s first presidential debate and is now a sinkhole. Mocking the disabled is inappropriate. Raunchy and vulgar? Well, that’s just locker room talk. If only Michelle Wolf had smiled more

Yeah, the only joke that I can understand people being upset about is the abortion joke... but then again she's a COMEDIAN doing stand-up at a COMEDY ROAST. 

If she's not pissing off someone in the room, she's doing it wrong...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XeK0rc_9a0

Joaquin Phoenix plays another damaged soul--this time he's Joe, a child-retrieval professional imploding under the weight of his own childhood terrors--in Lynne Ramsay's dense and surprising character study. "You Were Never Really Here" is a thriller in name only, as the usual genre conventions are completely swamped by Ramsay's fractured layers of memories, flashbacks, fantasies, and confounding tension. There's plenty of blood, but the real violence occurs inside of Joe's mind. His heart is filled with tender circles but his head is filled with harrowing diagonals.

Watched "May It Last," the documentary by Judd Apatow on the Avett Brothers. I'm not as big of a fan of them as I was 10 years ago, but the film is very enjoyable and well-done. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzlazAyylw8

Andrew Haigh's "Lean on Pete" is ostensibly about a boy and his horse, but it's really about a boy and his environment--and the careful, observant, compassionate point-of-view makes it one of the most compelling dramas of the year so far.

I hope to watch the Golden Knights play a great game of hockey tomorrow night.

We watched the Three Billboards movie last night - it was a great one. Well written/ great characters / great acting. One of the better movies I have seen in a long while.

We watched the Three Billboards movie last night - it was a great one. Well written/ great characters / great acting. One of the better movies I have seen in a long while.

Around Oscar time there seemed to be a growing, perhaps inevitable backlash to that movie. But much of the criticism seemed rooted in the knee-jerk presumption that it's intended as a work of realism rather than a fable. If the film has flaws--and I think it does--they have little to do with how it abandons reality.

What struck me about “Three Billboards" is how it's less about a mother’s local activism and more about the overlapping ripple effects of two distinct acts of violence. While the lead character delivers on the caustic, funny vibe of the trailer, it's interesting to note that director Martin McDonagh doesn’t share her bitterness--he’s far more egalitarian and compassionate in his view of these people, which helps each character to be carefully observed. Even the mother cannot be easily defined by her loss and rage. What’s most remarkable, though, is how the movie seeks to comprehend anger only to reveal the power of grace, and in that sense it’s the richest Christian movie since “Silence” and the most entertaining one since, well, maybe ever. McDonagh may have also written the most perfect closing line of 2017.

Completely agree.  I watched it earlier this week and loved it.

It should've won best picture. 

Atlanta

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I've loved, loved this show from the first episode. This season has been especially ambitious.

The Life & Songs of Emmylou Harris: An All-Star Concert Celebration! on AXS.tv is well worth searching out -- lot's of great performances. Don Was is getting pretty good at these things.

I can watch Kris Kristofferson sing all day long.

Wish they would have listed who the performers were as they got onstage ---- must admit, don't have a clue who many of these people are.

Whatever duo sang/played Michelangelo was unbelievable.

The Life & Songs of Emmylou Harris: An All-Star Concert Celebration! on AXS.tv is well worth searching out -- lot's of great performances. Don Was is getting pretty good at these things.

I can watch Kris Kristofferson sing all day long.

Wish they would have listed who the performers were as they got onstage ---- must admit, don't have a clue who many of these people are.

Whatever duo sang/played Michelangelo was unbelievable.

Nice. Love Emmylou and Kris. This Old Road is a great, fairly recent, album of his.

I have HBO now for the month, so I watched "Sweet Dreams," a movie about Patsy Cline starring Jessica Lange. Meh. 

Also watched "The Zookeeper's Wife," based on a true story from World War II with which I was totally unfamiliar. I really enjoyed this one. 

Watched John Mulaney's latest on Netflix last night: John Mulaney: Kid Gorgeous at Radio City. 

Excellent. Probably my favorite stand up guy, these days.

Also, watched the documentary Evil Genius, which was pretty creepyBank robbery, bomb collar, etc. 

And, to complete the trifecta of a lazy Sunday: The Rachel Divide, about the white lady identifying as a black lady and heading a local chaptef of the NAACP in Portland, OR.