• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wife and I watched Mulaney's Comeback Kid special and enjoyed it - need to watch the new one.

Presently we are 3 episodes into Season 1 of Handmaid's Tale --- I have never read the book, but the show is interesting.

At times I do find myself laughing at the absurdity of it all, in which my wife (who has read the book) is always ready to rebuke me.

Elisabeth Moss is definitely great. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

Moss is indeed great in this. She surprised me with the range of emotions she can reach just through the looks on her face. I don't recall that in Mad Men.

Watched It Follows earlier this weekend. A good movie elevated to great status thanks to a superb soundtrack. 

Rewatched Black Panther last night on VOD. I think it's in the Dark Knight tier of great super hero movies. Not only that but I feel it's culturally one of the most important movies in a long, long time. 

We watched "Mom & Dad" last night. I cant resist a wild eyed looney tunes Nick Cage and he didn't disappoint.

And, to complete the trifecta of a lazy Sunday: The Rachel Divide, about the white lady identifying as a black lady and heading a local chaptef of the NAACP in Portland, OR.

I watched this too and found it interesting and also very sad.

And I saw in the news today that she is being charged with welfare fraud.  

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the entirety of "Evil Genius" on Netflix over the weekend. The crime that's investigated still doesn't make sense to me. Anyone else see this? I think it's fairly new. Creepy weird stuff.

We watched that a few weeks ago. Bizarre story. We were left still a bit confused, as well.

Binge-watched The Staircase on Netflix yesterday. The thing could have been pared down a lot, imo (12 or 13 episodes, I think). Pretty interesting from a legal standpoint and, again, still left with doubts at the end as to innocence/guilt. Regardless, Michael Peterson didn't get a fair trial the first time around, at least.

My wife & I recently cut the cord and we are throughly enjoying Netflix and Prime;

*  John Mullvaney was hysterical

*  Patton Oswalt was too - I don't know how he got thru the stories about his wife.

*  Evil Genius was good

* Mindhunter was creepy - I can't believe my wife was the one who suggested we watch it.

*  The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is fantastic, the music alone is worth watching the show

*  However, the I'm ashamed to say that my favorite is Jessica Jones. A show so powerful, it turns a 62 year old man into a 13 year old     fanboy. :blush

I saw Hereditary on Monday. I'm not the biggest horror fan but everything, the cinematography, the acting, the score, worked together to create an intense sense of dread throughout the whole film. By the end of it I was stressed out and my anxiety was peaking. The wife really wants to watch it when it's on VOD but I don't know how I'm going to sit through that film again!! I can't recommend it enough. 

As a teacher on summer break I'm getting to all the art house flicks I never have time for (and my wife won't watch). So far the selections have been:

Days of Heaven- awesome movie. Gorgeous cinematography counters the bleak story line.

The Three Colors Trilogy- this french language trilogy is considered Polish director Kieslowski's opus. So far I've watched Red (I messed up the order cause I was thinking Red, White, Blue, like an American, and it's really Blue, White, Red). Red is a concise 90 minute drama with interesting characters, a subtle twist and some great thematic stuff you can mull over without it hitting you over the head.

As a teacher on summer break I'm getting to all the art house flicks I never have time for (and my wife won't watch). So far the selections have been:

Days of Heaven- awesome movie. Gorgeous cinematography counters the bleak story line.

The Three Colors Trilogy- this french language trilogy is considered Polish director Kieslowski's opus. So far I've watched Red (I messed up the order cause I was thinking Red, White, Blue, like an American, and it's really Blue, White, Red). Red is a concise 90 minute drama with interesting characters, a subtle twist and some great thematic stuff you can mull over without it hitting you over the head.

As a teacher on summer break, I'm watching a fuckload of World Cup soccer.

Four terrific films. Red is the trilogy's crowning achievement, but White is underrated, its comic touches unfairly overlooked.