• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sharp Objects on HBO. I like it. Has a True Detective vibe to it.

I love the way how Jean Marc Vallee is using the camera & editing the images to tell this story, more so than the actual story itself. I love that it's done from the POV of Camille, so it feels like you're reading a book. To clarify, I'm curious who is killing the girls, but it's been so frustrating getting any traction on that matter that I understand that the focus is obviously on Camille's (Amy Adams) story which is really interesting but being fed to us in tiny bits of info.

I have a few issues with the casting & the timeline. I usually love Patricia Clarkson, but I just feel that she's miscast here as the "Southern" matriarch. And to not spoil anything, but when they do the flashbacks I have to question just how old Camille really is. I do love though how the truth seems to come out of the mouths of the wives when they gossip. It's a lot like a modern Greek chorus.

Have you watched Succession? I fell in love with that show & thought that the finale was one of the best that I've seen in a long time.

^^^ I agree about the editing -- it's spectacular and causes you to watch each show closely.  Succession is on my list.  Haven't started it yet -- thanks for the recommendation.. 

• 2 weeks later...

Went to tonight's screening of the 50th anniversary of the Elvis '68 Comeback Special. He really was at the peak of his powers for that show.  

• 2 weeks later...

It's been an awful rainy holiday weekend in Des Moines. I took advantage yesterday to check out a couple of movies, BlackkKlansman and Juliet, Naked. Both were great. I read Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby when it came out. It's a great book. Anyone who's posted here or on any music board more than 1,000 times would probably enjoy Juliet, Naked. Plus, it has Country Disappeared in the soundtrack.

I loved BlackkKlansman and look forward to seeing Juliet, Naked when it makes its way to a local theater. I did not read the book (did not even know it existed), but felt the character of Rob in High Fidelity was me!

I saw Searching the other day and really enjoyed that. It has a very interesting point of view - 100% of the movie takes place on a computer or cell phone screen. I thought it would be awkward but it was fascinating.

Been watching Season One of The Knick with Clive Owen.  Bono's daughter (Eve Hewson) has a pretty juicy role -- though every time she appears on screen I break out in a U2 song (annoys the crap out of my wife).

I was lucky enough to see Raising Arizona in the little art house cinema the day before Labor Day. Yes, you're right. It certainly does hold up. It always makes me laugh. I was disappointed to miss Barton Fink. I've never seen that one in a cinema. That little art house cinema is having a Coen Bros. retrospective this month. Fargo & The Big Lebowski are the other selections. I saw The Big Lebowski last month during one of the TCM 20th anniversary screenings and loved watching it with other fans.

Speaking of the Coen Bros., their latest, The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs, is coming to Netflix in November. When I first heard of this project, I swear that it was a 6 episode anthology series. It looks like those 6 separate stories make one film. O Brother, Where Art Thou's Tim Blake Nelson plays Buster Scruggs. Decent looking cast.

Watched Raising Arizona last nite with the family. Still holds up, funny stuff

Yes!  I've had pretty good success with showing my kids some movies of my youth and I think that one will certainly go over well.  Thanks for the reminder.

Raising Arizona was the first film my college roommates and I saw on a rented VCR (they did that back in the 80s, rented VCRs). That flick altered our language and speech patterns for a long time afterwards...ah, good times!

Ozark's 1st season was terrific television. I binged it quicker than I had ever binged any Netflix series. The 2nd season starts off slow, but builds up momentum in the 3rd episode and maintains it for the rest of the season. Honestly, I'm not enjoying it as much because I watched the 1st season last August & forgot a few of the twists, character names, etc. Those of you that are just getting to this series & watching both seasons back to back might feel differently. If you watch Netflix through your Comcast X1 cable box, you get a nice recap of the prior season before the 1st episode plays. That sort of helped. I watched season 1 of The Crown last year to coincide with the release of season 2. It helped & I prefer to try to watch shows like this going forward. This is why I'm holding off on starting Mindhunter. It's really tough to juggle so many shows. Lol #firstworldproblems

HBO's Sharp Objects ended up being an excellent limited series. The last episode put the whole series into perspective. It's well worth watching again at some point in the near future.

During the series finale of Sharp Objects, HBO dropped the first teaser for the 3rd season of True Detective which looks really interesting. That's expected to start in January, so I decided to watch season 1 again. It's been 4 years since I've seen it. My plan is to watch 1 episode every Sunday night and go right into season 2. I looked at the NFL schedule and figured Week 2 through Week 17 is 16 weeks aka 16 episodes. I know that I'm in the minority on this one, but I really loved season 2.

Yeah, I'm starting to see more of Eve Hewson. I first saw her in Enough Said and then in Bridge Of Spies. I'm aware of The Knick, but haven't gotten around to it yet. [On a side note, when did Clive Owen all of a sudden start looking like Pete Postlethwaite. I guess it was inevitable.]She was also in the remake of Papillon which was really good and she'll be Maid Marian in the unnecessary remake of Robin Hood. I'm pretty sure most people have no idea who her father is. Most aren't familiar with the name Hewson.

When I first heard of this project, I swear that it was a 6 episode anthology series. 

It definitely was:

Oscar-winning directors Joel and Ethan Coen will be riding into the Oscar season this fall with a new film that began life as an anthology series.

https://variety.com/2018/film/in-contention/coen-brothers-ballad-buster-scruggs-film-venice-oscar-1202883508/

Thanks! Great find! I can't read any Variety links on my

iPhone because there's a huge popup that covers most of the article. The 2 articles that I read last week never mentioned that it started out as a series, but I was fairly certain that I read about that sometime last year. Hopefully, we get that version at some point.

Thanks! Great find! I can't read any Variety links on my

iPhone because there's a huge popup that covers most of the article. The 2 articles that I read last week never mentioned that it started out as a series, but I was fairly certain that I read about that sometime last year. Hopefully, we get that version at some point.

A friend of mine thought he spotted Randall Tex Cobb in the trailer, but a quick cast search negated that, unless it's a cameo. 

I'm just trying to find some jammies for my kid with yodas and shit on em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wOsiojzo34

Just realized that one of the FBI agents in the scene above is the funeral parlor guy in Big Lebowski.