• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone watching Maniac on Netflix? Fascinating series so far (we're on episode 6 of 10). 

I might get to it this month after I finish Season 2 of Iron Fist. I'm trying to go light on NetFlix this month with the MLB Playoffs going on. 

I saw A Star Is Born on the holiday and loved it. I went to a DLX theater with an IMAX sized screen and incredible sound & the concert scenes were really exciting. Bradley Cooper has a really good voice & Lady Gaga can really act. The music was fantastic too. I can see this being this generation's Titanic. I don't think much of the target audience is familiar with any of the prior versions. A very emotionally satisfying film. 

Finished season 4 of Better Call Saul on Tues night. Another great season, next season will be a barn burner for sure.

Finished season 4 of Better Call Saul on Tues night. Another great season, next season will be a barn burner for sure.

Shoot, I need to finish S3 (fell asleep on a few of the last ones, too). 

I went to see First Man yesterday afternoon. I thought that the first half seemed detached, dull and overlong. And the overuse of shaky cam pissed me off. Ryan Gosling pretty much played the reticent version of himself which didn't work for me. It worked much better for Drive. He was surrounded by a cast of terrific character actors. The second half worked much better, since it focused on the training & mission. The moon landing segment was executed very well and is actually worth seeing on the big screen.

Enjoyed Ozarks much more than I expected.

I've been meaning to check that out.

Started watching Haunting of Hill House. Was confused as hell when they had 90s scenes dad played by Henry Thomas, but 2018 scenes same dad played by Timothy Hutton. I get that when you go back and forth between eras, and there's kids in the past scenes, you need adults to play the same characters 20 years later. But, Timothy Hutton is only 11 years older than Henry Thomas. Just add some grey to Henry Thomas's hair and call it a day?

We’ve watched all of the following at some point in the past few months:

—Maniac (loved it)

—Don’t Worry, He Won’t Get Far on Foot (outstanding)

—CB Strike (really good, based on the Rowling/Galbraith books)

—Endeavour (one of my favorite shows ever)

—Shetland (same as Endeavour)

I've been meaning to check that out.

Started watching Haunting of Hill House. Was confused as hell when they had 90s scenes dad played by Henry Thomas, but 2018 scenes same dad played by Timothy Hutton. I get that when you go back and forth between eras, and there's kids in the past scenes, you need adults to play the same characters 20 years later. But, Timothy Hutton is only 11 years older than Henry Thomas. Just add some grey to Henry Thomas's hair and call it a day?

My wife and I have been watching for some Halloween fun. So far the production is top notch, the writing is really good and the acting is pretty bad. Still some fun, scary, suspense.

I went to see First Man yesterday afternoon. I thought that the first half seemed detached, dull and overlong. And the overuse of shaky cam pissed me off. Ryan Gosling pretty much played the reticent version of himself which didn't work for me. It worked much better for Drive. He was surrounded by a cast of terrific character actors. The second half worked much better, since it focused on the training & mission. The moon landing segment was executed very well and is actually worth seeing on the big screen.

I loved Bad Times At The El Royale. The production design of the El Royale hotel was amazing. There's a beautiful Wurlitzer jukebox with 45s that is responsible for the great soundtrack. Reminded me of early Tarantino & Jim Jarmusch's Mystery Train.

I'm extremely glad that I made the time to see The Oath which was a razor sharp political black comedy written & directed by Ike Barinholtz.

The Old Man & The Gun is a nice little gem of a film that allegedly features the last role for Robert Redford. I also loved how they recreated the look of early 80s films. Plus, Redford's bank robbery crew includes Danny Glover & Tom Waits.

I wasn't so keen on the understated The Sisters Brothers which features the perfect casting of Joaquin Phoenix & John C. Reilly as brothers during the Gold Rush.

Edit: A close friend of mine saw an advanced screening of Alfonso Cuaron's Roma which he said is the best film of the year. That's coming to Netflix in December.

Barnes & Noble is having a 50% off Criterion Collection sale, so most titles are right around $19.99 which is a pretty decent deal.

Speaking of Criterion Collection, I'm upset that FilmStruck is shutting down shop later this month. They were a streaming service for Criterion Collection films. I almost upgraded to the latest Apple TV to get access to the Apple App Store to download the FilmStruck App, but the price never came down enough to justify the upgrade.

I'm going to stay in tonight to watch The Other Side Of The Wind on Netflix. That's the Orson Welles film that was in limbo, since the 70s.

Just finished "Won't You Be My Neighbor," the excellent documentary on Fred Rogers. I dare anyone to get through it without shedding a tear or two. I loved it.

I saw Luca Guadagnino's remake of Suspiria which I thought was brilliant. The color palette used is wintry gray which is much different than the original. This version examines womanhood, power, guilt and shame. The visual mood is well kept for the whole duration of the film along with a terrific score by Thom Yorke. That last half hour segment will be with me for an extremely long time and blows away any horror film in recent memory. The art house feel for the bulk of the film might scare away horror enthusiasts.

I enjoyed the 2 lead performances in Beautiful Boy, but would have to say that the film was very good and not great. There's a density & repetition that makes it feel much longer than 2 hours. Very depressing.

I'm probably one of a handful of people to see London Fields which was shot 5 years ago and stayed in limbo for a variety of reasons.

Barnes & Noble is having a 50% off Criterion Collection sale, so most titles are right around $19.99 which is a pretty decent deal.

Speaking of Criterion Collection, I'm upset that FilmStruck is shutting down shop later this month. They were a streaming service for Criterion Collection films. I almost upgraded to the latest Apple TV to get access to the Apple App Store to download the FilmStruck App, but the price never came down enough to justify the upgrade.

I'm going to stay in tonight to watch The Other Side Of The Wind on Netflix. That's the Orson Welles film that was in limbo, since the 70s.

Good to know. Have been meaning to replace my long lost Bande A Part DVD. 

Good to know. Have been meaning to replace my long lost Bande A Part DVD.

The sale runs through December 3rd.

I saw Bohemian Rhapsody and thought that Rami Malek's performance & the concert scenes were amazing. But the historical inaccuracies left me scratching my head, especially with Roger Taylor & Brian May being involved with the making of the film. At least 3 songs shown in the film had the wrong year/time frame. I laughed how John Deacon was on the bottom of the totem pole. Could this be how it really was or is it like this because only Roger & Brian helped to put this biopic together? Also, Freddy isn't here to tell his story, so one could look at his arc in the film as a bit formulaic to help set up drama or did it really go down like that? All of this talk about who controls the narrative was actually a big plot point of London Fields. Mike Myers has the best line in the film. And Lucy Boynton really needs to explode. She was great as Freddy Mercury's Mary. I first saw her in Sing Street and didn't recognize her at all in the Murder On The Orient Express remake. I think a lot of people are going to think that it's Felicity Jones. This will be a film that I'll always wind up watching if i see it on cable. Oh, I'd definitely describe the ending as epic and could bring people to their feet.

Edit: I just realized that John Deacon is played by little Tim from the original Jurassic Park.