We watched John Leguizamo's "Latin History for Morons" last night. Well done, insightful, funny. He's pretty good at what he does, surprised he isn't more popular

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I walked out of The Girl In The Spider's Web. While I enjoyed David Fincher's unnecessary remake in 2011, I knew that he'd never be back for any of the possible U.S. sequels. 7 years have passed and they decided to go with the 1st book in the series not written by the original author, Stieg Larsson. It was one of those boring films that feel twice as long as it actually is. I left after an hour and it really felt like I was there for 2 hours. I'd be willing to give it another chance, if it ever becomes a .99 cent rental on iTunes.

I thoroughly enjoyed Can You Ever Forgive Me?. Melissa McCarthy & Richard E. Grant make a great duo. I found the concept of forgery & there being a market for people paying for letters from dead celebrities completely fascinating in today's current climate. The film really made me question authenticity & the belief that people attach to a piece of paper that states it as such. Also, it shows how people can start to believe their own lies, even when they know that they're dealing with falsehoods.

I'm excited for the new Coen Bros. movie dropping on Netflix tomorrow, but I really want to see it in a theater. Lucky for me I have the option to do both.

I walked out of The Girl In The Spider's Web. While I enjoyed David Fincher's unnecessary remake in 2011, I knew that he'd never be back for any of the possible U.S. sequels. 7 years have passed and they decided to go with the 1st book in the series not written by the original author, Stieg Larsson. It was one of those boring films that feel twice as long as it actually is. I left after an hour and it really felt like I was there for 2 hours. I'd be willing to give it another chance, if it ever becomes a .99 cent rental on iTunes.

I thoroughly enjoyed Can You Ever Forgive Me?. Melissa McCarthy & Richard E. Grant make a great duo. I found the concept of forgery & there being a market for people paying for letters from dead celebrities completely fascinating in today's current climate. The film really made me question authenticity & the belief that people attach to a piece of paper that states it as such. Also, it shows how people can start to believe their own lies, even when they know that they're dealing with falsehoods.

I'm excited for the new Coen Bros. movie dropping on Netflix tomorrow, but I really want to see it in a theater. Lucky for me I have the option to do both.

You may want to check this book out:

Salamander: The Story of the Mormon Forgery Murders

You may want to check this book out:

Salamander: The Story of the Mormon Forgery Murders

Thanks! I looked at the Wiki entry & it sounds fascinating.

I loved The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs. It had one of the best openings that I've ever seen. Classic Coen Bros. I'll admit that it did try my patience a bit in the middle, but I enjoyed each vignette which were quite different from one to the next. I need to rewatch the ending to get a clearer grasp on the message of it. It all seemed fresh & you'll need to tune into their unique frequency to enjoy it. Now that I'm familiar with the dialog, I'll be waiting for classic lines to hear again.

We watched Buster Scruggs over the weekend. Started out strong and just sort of petered out. We turned it off before the last chapter. Did it appear to anyone else that the format kept switching from video to film and back again?

Anyhow, we did watch the last chapter last night, meh.

I thought the Oregon Trail segment (2nd to last, IIRC) was one of the strongest. Didn't dislike any of them, but the last one was definitely the weakest. Didn't notice the switch to video. I should have. I paid lots of attention to the landscapes!

I've been hate-watching the last season of House of Cards.

Yeah - we through Ep. 3 --- it almost feels like an obligation, but at least I am not falling asleep while watching it - like I do watching most shows.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We watched Buster Scruggs over the weekend. Started out strong and just sort of petered out. We turned it off before the last chapter. Did it appear to anyone else that the format kept switching from video to film and back again?

Anyhow, we did watch the last chapter last night, meh.

I liked it though I agree it's kinda uneven. I didn't notice the format changes though. 

Just finished watching "I Called Him Morgan," the documentary about jazz musician Lee Morgan and his murder. Very interesting and well-constructed film. 

Finished hate-watching the last season of House of Cards.  Garbage.  Enjoyed the Ballad of Buster Scruggs. Just started the Netflix series Staircase.

Finished hate-watching the last season of House of Cards.  Garbage.  Enjoyed the Ballad of Buster Scruggs. Just started the Netflix series Staircase.

Yeah -  House of Cards was a complete waste.  The wife and I sat down to watch another episode one night and realized the season only had 8 episodes. We watched the 8th one about a week prior, never realizing it was actually the last episode.

Staircase was just okay. Few too many episodes I thought. Really, it just made me want to re-watch the far superior The Jinx.

Yes, easily 3-4 episodes too long. Started out so strong. Cashing in on popularity. The Jinx? Fictional thought, right? Gruesome too?

Yes, easily 3-4 episodes too long. Started out so strong. Cashing in on popularity. The Jinx? Fictional thought, right? Gruesome too?

I'm now five episodes in and I really like it.  I've worked closely with two of the defendant's expert witnesses (Werner Spitz and Jan Leetsma) so it's kind of a kick to see them on screen.

Gruesome yes, fictional not at all. It was a six-part documentary series that aired on HBO a few years ago. Can't recommend it enough. Try not to google too much about it though, at this point most of the write-ups about the show are plastered with spoilers.

Watched "Mandy", the new Nick Cage grindhouse flick, last night. Weird, psychedelic, slow, gory, hilarious...it's got it all. Spark a doob before watching.

Just started watching the Ken Burns series on Vietnam. Three episodes in and I'm loving it. I'm a total history nerd, so it's right up my alley. Plus I've enjoyed all of his prior work.

Also saw "Green Book" a few nights ago. Viggo Mortensen is incredible, and the movie is pretty solid. I wasn't familiar with the people on whom the movie is based. 

Watched "Birdbox" on Netflix last night. SWING......and a miss. Besides John Malkovich relishing his role as an a-hole, its a long 2 hours. And why do screenwriters insist on messing with the book handed to them? Most of the second half of the film didn't happen in the book.