• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally got around to viewing "Don't Look Back," the Bob Dylan documentary from the 1960's.  I enjoyed it.  Dylan could be quite the confrontational prick with the media (and others), but for my money, he's still the greatest songwriter in the history of songs.

“Springsteen on Broadway” was every bit as special as people have said. I’m not even much of a Bruce fan, but the story of his life, interwoven with songs from various eras (many of which I didn’t recognize) was just spectacular. Totally worth the 2:30 runtime.

Started watching "The Good Place" recently. A really funny show on broadcast TV? Wonders never cease...

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the Netflix documentary about the Fyre Festival (as opposed to the Hulu version).  I hadn't really followed it when it was happening - except to understand that it was a real nightmare - but I had no idea how messed up it really was.  There is plenty of blame go around but I thought they took an interesting look at the role of "social media influencers." 

I watched the Netflix documentary about the Fyre Festival (as opposed to the Hulu version).  I hadn't really followed it when it was happening - except to understand that it was a real nightmare - but I had no idea how messed up it really was.  There is plenty of blame go around but I thought they took an interesting look at the role of "social media influencers." 

I kinda felt bad about not caring about anybody in this film - other than the people who worked on it and didn't get paid. I don't remember hearing about this fest.

I watched the doc on Netflix, too - I guess the organizer is more involved in the Hulu version -- the last thing I want to see is an interview with that guy.

I watched the doc on Netflix, too - I guess the organizer is more involved in the Hulu version -- the last thing I want to see is an interview with that guy.

I watched Hulu and was glad to see the interview with him. If you decide to watch it, play this drinking game: Drink every time he pensively bites his lip. 

I watched Hulu and was glad to see the interview with him. If you decide to watch it, play this drinking game: Drink every time he pensively bites his lip. 

Throughout the entire Netfix Fyre doc, I think there was about 2.25 seconds of footage where that guy was not drinking.... 

Binge-watched the first season of The Kominsky Method on Netflix with Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin.  Enjoyed it quite a bit.  On to Season Three of True Detective.

"Guitar, Drum, and Bass" = 3 x 1 hour episodes

Stewart Copeland, Tina Weymouth, Lenny Kaye explore the rock/pop history of their instruments. Nicely done.

Elvis - Rebirth of the King. Another BBC music doc exploring the comeback special and the first couple of Vegas years before the burgers.

Glad to see some love for "Stan & Ollie" here. In the ‘90s, AMC would show L&H shorts every Saturday morning, and I became obsessed to the point where I actually read a book about them front-to-back, which doesn’t sound too weird except that it wasn’t a biography but a cross-referenced encyclopedia. Whether silent or sound, I’ve seen every extant L&H movie, and most of ‘em I’ve seen multiple times. “Stan & Ollie" shares my deep affection for the duo and their comedic precision--it’s a big smile of a movie--but to my eyes it doesn't quite match their craft, wit, and invention. Many of the dramatic points are perhaps too on the nose, punctuated with lovely yet surface-level echoes of their best-known sketches. For example, one of the subtexts of their shorts is that they are bickering marrieds, and “Stan & Ollie” makes that its major premise. In fact, nearly every scene is staged like a vaudeville routine--even their wives are presented as a screwball duo--which is entertaining yet ultimately wears a little thin. Still, it all unfolds with a likable finesse, and John C. Reilly and Steve Coogan are indeed perfectly cast. Transcending mere mimicry, their graceful, complicated, lived-in performances capture the bittersweet relationship between Laurel and Hardy and help elevate the movie into one of the most worthwhile biopics in recent memory.

Loved Stan & Ollie. Saw it a week ago. Thought it was perfectly cast. It was also really about trying to avoid being obsolete.

I'll be back with my True Detective thoughts. Just wanted to remind some folks that this Sunday's episode is already on HBO Go/HBO Now because of the Super Bowl.

"Guitar, Drum, and Bass" = 3 x 1 hour episodes

Stewart Copeland, Tina Weymouth, Lenny Kaye explore the rock/pop history of their instruments. Nicely done.

Where would I find this?  This is something I'd enjoy.

Russian Doll

Best TV show I've seen i a long time.  And short episodes are a blessing.

BBC iPlayer so I don't know if you can get that. Or YouTube? Just found one of them:  www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVgak9w7g_0

Meanwhile:

Derry Girls

Thanks, I'll see if I can hunt them down.