Mavis Staples - 24 January 2018 - Flynn Center - Burlington, Vermont

Well - if there is an antidote to living in Donald Trump's America - it's spending a solid 90 minutes with Mavis and her incredible band!  Tonight marked Mavis' first show of 2018 and Burlington showed up in full force for a sold out gig at the Flynn Center.  This show marked her first live performances of "Who Told You That," "Build A Bridge," "Little Bit," and "No Time For Cryin'" from If All I Was Was Black.  Each of these songs were great, but "No Time For Cryin'" as the encore was particularly powerful.  You could feel the anger, frustration and hope in each word as urged the crowd to take a stand and stop sitting around while this oligarch fucking destroys our country.  It was good shit... 

Here is the set list - as played:

Come Go With Me

Take Us Back

Slippery People

For What It's Worth

Who Told You That

Build A Bridge

Little Bit

Freedom Highway

You're Not Alone (beautifully rendered this evening)

We're Gonna Make It>

Jam>

Touch A Hand, Make A Friend

I'll Take You There

---------------------------------------------

No Time For Cryin'

Well - if there is an antidote to living in Donald Trump's America - it's spending a solid 90 minutes with Mavis and her incredible band! Tonight marked Mavis' first show of 2018 and Burlington showed up in full force for a sold out gig at the Flynn Center. This show marked her first live performances of "Who Told You That," "Build A Bridge," "Little Bit," and "No Time For Cryin'" from If All I Was Was Black. Each of these songs were great, but "No Time For Cryin'" as the encore was particularly powerful. You could feel the anger, frustration and hope in each word as urged the crowd to take a stand and stop sitting around while this oligarch fucking destroys our country. It was good shit...

Here is the set list - as played:

Come Go With Me

Take Us Back

Slippery People

For What It's Worth

Who Told You That

Build A Bridge

Little Bit

Freedom Highway

You're Not Alone (beautifully rendered this evening)

We're Gonna Make It>

Jam>

Touch A Hand, Make A Friend

I'll Take You There

---------------------------------------------

No Time For Cryin'

Thanks for the report! Sounds like an excellent evening. One point of correction/clarification, perhaps, is that it probably wasn’t the *first* live performances of some of the If All I Was Was Black songs. She and her band played a couple of them last October in Chicago (and almost certainly elsewhere) whilst opening for Bob Dylan. And of course, they played Build A Bridge on Jimmy Kimmel’s show last week.