• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ordered mine yesterday!  I did not attend any of these but one of my San Fran touring buddies says the 1987 show was his favorite JGB show and like me he saw quite a few. Of course now i have to make him a copy! Nice bonus disc with the preorder. 

Speaking of Jerry, you know whats a pretty good semi-new release? That "Before the Dead" 4 CD set. All kinds of folk and bluegrass tunes featuring JG playing with Hunter, Jerry's wife, David Nelson, etc. I was familiar with the Sleepy Hollow Hog Stompers but The Black Mountain Boys group was on fire, Jerry just cookin on that banjo.

I've tried to get through some of that Before The Dead material, but still have a long way to go. I grew up with a real Yankee prejudice against country (i.e., it's "redneck" music), and although I've grown to like a lot of trad and alt country, I've never gotten over my loathing for bluegrass. Not even Old and in the Way could cure me of it. Oh well. Yeeee-ha!

Been listening to some of 2/26/77 in celebration of the new Dave's, and holy fuck, that thing won't convert a lot of 80s fans to the Donna side of the fence. It's great to listen to that Terrapin live debut and a few of the other tracks, but man oh man. I've always been somewhat of a Donna defender, because when she was on, she added something so beautiful and unique to their sound. But even post-hiatus, when could supposedly hear herself better, she was off so freaking much. She seemed to be more consistently on-key with Jerry's various solo incarnations than with the Dead. It's too bad there aren't more representations of her singing well on live Dead releases.

Dave's #29 arrived today (whew! I was getting uptight haha). Looking forward to the filler (which I have not heard, apparently there's very little that exists in the vault), and especially the Dew.

This is a very rare period for Dew - after the 10/18/74 show it was played 0 times in '75, '2 times in '76, 5 in '77, once in both '78 and '79. It really never was in anything like a regular spot until '87 (post-coma). 

Some interesting trivia for Dew freaks (like me).

This is a very rare period for Dew - after the 10/18/74 show it was played 0 times in '75, '2 times in '76, 5 in '77, once in both '78 and '79. It really never was in anything like a regular spot until '87 (post-coma). 

Some interesting trivia for Dew freaks (like me).

I started seeing the Dead in '80 and I didn't see a Morning Dew until '82 - and the place went nuts.  They were a rare treat during the period when I saw lots of shows ('80-'86).

Been listening to some of 2/26/77 in celebration of the new Dave's, and holy fuck, that thing won't convert a lot of 80s fans to the Donna side of the fence. It's great to listen to that Terrapin live debut and a few of the other tracks, but man oh man. I've always been somewhat of a Donna defender, because when she was on, she added something so beautiful and unique to their sound. But even post-hiatus, when could supposedly hear herself better, she was off so freaking much. She seemed to be more consistently on-key with Jerry's various solo incarnations than with the Dead. It's too bad there aren't more representations of her singing well on live Dead releases.

I started listening to this show this morning, during my commute - I think I got as far as the Playing in the Band reprise. I'm not noticing anything notable about Donna's presence, so I'm curious as to what you're referring to. 

I started seeing the Dead in '80 and I didn't see a Morning Dew until '82 - and the place went nuts. They were a rare treat during the period when I saw lots of shows ('80-'86).

Love the Dew. I was lucky as my first was a massive one 4/15/78 -- the first one since Cornell '77, and did not see my 2nd until exactly 4 years later on 4/15/82. Probably saw about 25 total though as it was played often starting in '87.

I started listening to this show this morning, during my commute - I think I got as far as the Playing in the Band reprise. I'm not noticing anything notable about Donna's presence, so I'm curious as to what you're referring to. 

I'd have to listen to the whole show over again to pinpoint too many particulars - I just played through the whole thing, so not really into doing THAT - but a quick scroll through parts of songs reveals that she's particularly flat during the Terrapin debut, and her performance on TMNS is nothing to write home about.

I'm a big fan of her harmonies when she's on, so when she's off, it grates on me. My point was more about those who don't like her in general, and always complain about 70s releases. There are a few of those on the Dead.net board, and they're very vocal about wanting more Brent era and beyond releases. I don't think this is a performance that will convert them to the dark side, er, Donna side.  :guitar

I'd have to listen to the whole show over again to pinpoint too many particulars - I just played through the whole thing, so not really into doing THAT - but a quick scroll through parts of songs reveals that she's particularly flat during the Terrapin debut, and her performance on TMNS is nothing to write home about.

I'm a big fan of her harmonies when she's on, so when she's off, it grates on me. My point was more about those who don't like her in general, and always complain about 70s releases. There are a few of those on the Dead.net board, and they're very vocal about wanting more Brent era and beyond releases. I don't think this is a performance that will convert them to the dark side, er, Donna side.  :guitar

I only listened a few songs but, intrigued by your comment, put particular attention to Donna vocals (I love Donna, by the way; well, maybe except in PITB). I noticed her armonizing in The Wheel was...bad, flat, annoying, you name it.

I only listened a few songs but, intrigued by your comment, put particular attention to Donna vocals (I love Donna, by the way; well, maybe except in PITB). I noticed her armonizing in The Wheel was...bad, flat, annoying, you name it.

See, now I messed up a great release for everybody. :lol

In all seriousness, I'm glad that they got Phil to back off the harmony vocals by more or less replacing his with Donna's. But, damn, man, she had ONE JOB! For someone who was reputed to be a "better" singer than Jerry or Bobby, I just don't see it. She's great in the studio, but live? Even when she supposedly hear herself better, post-hiatus, she's consistently inconsistent.

I wonder how much of it was affected by all those loudly amplified instruments. I'm a singer, so I know what that experience is like - your body trying to be heard above the din of what are essentially loud machines.

Have you guys heard any of the 70s Jerry shows with Donna and Maria Muldaur? Holy fuck, Maria was ten times worse live than the worst of Donna. Like two cats fighting to the death in a burlap sack. Unlistenable.

Jerry and Bobby, for all their flaws, are rarely flat, off-key, pitchy, or whatever. Well, Jerry before the 80s' steep decline, I mean. Even when his voice was shot, though, he still had something remarkably close to perfect pitch.

See, now I messed up a great release for everybody. :lol

In all seriousness, I'm glad that they got Phil to back off the harmony vocals by more or less replacing his with Donna's. But, damn, man, she had ONE JOB! For someone who was reputed to be a "better" singer than Jerry or Bobby, I just don't see it. She's great in the studio, but live? Even when she supposedly hear herself better, post-hiatus, she's consistently inconsistent.

I wonder how much of it was affected by all those loudly amplified instruments. I'm a singer, so I know what that experience is like - your body trying to be heard above the din of what are essentially loud machines.

Have you guys heard any of the 70s Jerry shows with Donna and Maria Muldaur? Holy fuck, Maria was ten times worse live than the worst of Donna. Like two cats fighting to the death in a burlap sack. Unlistenable.

Jerry and Bobby, for all their flaws, are rarely flat, off-key, pitchy, or whatever. Well, Jerry before the 80s' steep decline, I mean. Even when his voice was shot, though, he still had something remarkably close to perfect pitch.

I don't recall it being that bad and loved the early and late shows I went to at the Palladium in NYC on November 27, 1977 when Donna and Maria were both there. That said, i always tended to focus 90+% of my attention on JG!

I always liked the 26 Feb 1977 show.

The Terrapin is played a bit differently (choppily? more rhythmically?) and has the extended conclusion.

For some reason I like the "chopping" hammer sound inbetween the songs.

I like the Weir slide stuff inbetween the songs.

the Minglewood is exceptional.

The Playin' jam into Wheel, the Wheel outro jam, and the Playin space back into the reprise is arguably the highlight of the show.

The Help Slip Frank Eyes was ok in my opinion. Not ephemeral but pretty good. The Lesh solo into Dancin was fantastic. The Dancin' jam is well done. The R&R is ok.

Not a bad release but there were so many exceptional quality versions of this show already out there...Rhino is probably right that most people / heads don't know of internet archive?

I always liked the 26 Feb 1977 show.

the Minglewood is exceptional.

Gotta comment on this.

First, I agree.

"Minglewood" is an underrated tune (overall, but particularly for this era and into the early 80s). My first show in '81 opened with a smokin' Minglewood. I am in the vast minority that actually dug (still dig) Weir's slide work on tunes like Minglewood, Rooster, and CC Rider.

It was entertaining and I liked the sound of it and I liked watching him stretch out on it (slide parts, that is). 

Gotta comment on this.

First, I agree.

"Minglewood" is an underrated tune (overall, but particularly for this era and into the early 80s). My first show in '81 opened with a smokin' Minglewood. I am in the vast minority that actually dug (still dig) Weir's slide work on tunes like Minglewood and Rooster CC Rider.

It was entertaining and I liked the sound of it and I liked watching him stretch out on it (slide parts, that is).

I’ve heard a few people refer to this as “Weir learning slide onstage.” That said, it never bothered me as much as off-key vocals do. As a non-guitarist, I just accepted it at the time. Only in later years have I heard SBD recordings and cringed.

I suspect the same is generally true for vocals, too. Anyone lucky enough to catch the Dead live in ‘77 probably felt the shows sounded flawless. It’s only because of HQ recordings that we can notice every little flaw. Hell, they sounded fine live to me in ‘82-‘83!

I’ve heard a few people refer to this as “Weir learning slide onstage.” That said, it never bothered me as much as off-key vocals do. As a non-guitarist, I just accepted it at the time. Only in later years have I heard SBD recordings and cringed.

I suspect the same is generally true for vocals, too. Anyone lucky enough to catch the Dead live in ‘77 probably felt the shows sounded flawless. It’s only because of HQ recordings that we can notice every little flaw. Hell, they sounded fine live to me in ‘82-‘83!

And me not being a guitarist (I play drums) may have a lot to do with this, as well...

Jerry sure can rip into Minglewood when he feels like it. And I've heard a version or two from the 80's where Weir teases the blues tune I'm Going Down, which is pretty cool. The song itself is unremarkable, and a bit overplayed, but a great jam when they were feeling it. 

Perhaps, since Dead Set was an intro to my Dead listening  when I was a kid - I have always be fond of Minglewood. 

Always enjoyed the 'I was born in a desert, Raised in a loin's den' line.  

Yeah he did. 

Seeing him smile while on stage was always something special, too. 

I guess that goes for anyone performing --- seeing a person happy or seeing a some type of nod after a great solo or something is what makes seeing shows worth while. Every now and then Dylan lets out a look or smile after something and it's a treat.  Tweedy is another one who when you watch makes an expression of 'hey that was pretty great'.