Yeah, we were out there 2 summers ago for a few shows at TXR, too. We stayed at a hotel within walking distance. And yes, his line ups don't compare as favorably to the Q or the shows with Kimock and Trey and Page in '99, or even the Larry and Scofield stuff.

Still, I'd rather catch a P&F show than a Dead & Co show....

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two Bob & Wolf Bro shows last night you can watch in the link below. I do think this outfit is the best live fit for Bob in recent years, gives his voice and playing the right amount of space and support. Don Was is not as busy as Phil was when they were trying to do the duo thing. The band with the National guys had their moments, but too many players made it a bit of a mess at times. Eternity is a great tune. The Dead could never quite figure out how to fit it into their shows. Seems like it may work best in this format. 

https://www.jambase.com/article/bob-weir-wolf-bros-blue-note-new-york-city-setlist-video

I would argue that Eternity is not a GREAT tune, but it never really gelled into a good one. There's one from Spring '93 (Dean Dome) that's as good as I ever heard it be performed. They finished off that set with Liberty - a MUCH better place for it in a set. But I digress!

Really, other than the Hunter/Garcia tunes - all of which I thought were pretty solid - I think all the rest could have/should have been better. There are kernels of stuff in Wave that needed to be worked out. Childhood's End the same. 

I think with the Dead, I saw the potential of what Eternity could be (no pun intended). It had some moments, but just didn't fit that lineup or stadium sized shows. Much better suited for a smaller, sparser ensemble playing theaters, bringing out the jazzier side. Wave to the Wind was ok, but never saw much worth revisiting in those later Phil tunes. If the Shoe Fits too. 

Anyone getting the JGB Electric at the Eel boxset? I see that it's out today.

I ordered it via the JGB website - it's out for delivery, but I have not gotten it, yet. 

That is why I had not drank Heineken in so long --- there were not many other options and it was tasty and more importantly - free and not skunky. 

I can wait another 25 years to have it again, though.

I started out on Heineken but soon hit the harder stuff...

I actually drank Heineken almost exclusively (except for Old Style during baseball season) from about 85-00. Then craft became available and I've never looked back.

I had never heard this tune (I know it's on a Clapton album) and certainly not JGB cover it until last Friday. Wow. Amazing tune:

"See What Love Can Do" from Electric on the Eel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhrSr_p9AJs&disable_polymer=true

Was not familiar with that Clapton tune either. The Lay Down Sally from this set is the best JGB version of that tune I've heard as well. If there is one musician that Jerry borrowed from over the years, I guess it would be Clapton, with his various covers, and his reggaefying of tunes. 

Great set overall. The cover of Twilight by the Band is also real nice. Not sure I've heard Jerry do that before. Was it played very often?

Great set overall. The cover of Twilight by the Band is also real nice. Not sure I've heard Jerry do that before. Was it played very often?

No, both Twilight and See What Love Can Do were played back to back and were both never played again. I'm not sure when/where either were played previously by JGB, but it was the 4th and last "Twilight".

I have no recollection of hearing either prior to the Eel versions....

A nice interview/article with Weir.

The guest of honor and the recipient of the 2018 Music For Life Award at the Breakfast of Champions was Grateful Dead co-founder and Dead & Company guitarist Bob Weir.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/01/25/bob-weir-talks-old-school-viral-marketing-opera-at-the-namm-2018-breakfast-of-champions/