1989-07-15__Foolish~Victim~Crazy Fingers~Truckin'~Smokestack~Jam__gd_sbd_noblesville_edited97307

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQufVFL3bGQ&list=PLSKpDoMF_Zxb9hHnMo9d0Xl_7Xr52kX7y&index=30&t=0s

This was my first "hometown" show (I live 20 min. from Deer Creek, 40 min. from downtown Indy) in 5 years. I had just seen a Dylan/Steve Earle show there for my first Creek show (it opened 2 months before this) and to be honest Earle blew Bob off the stage that night. That was a nice evening out, the Dead show was another matter...

The level of fear surrounding the area (rural, 98% conservative) was off the charts. The Indy Star had huge front page articles about our little hamlet being raped and pillaged by the mongrel hordes. By 1991 it was all "Welcome Deadheads" when the locals saw this was like the 4th of July or Memorial Day in terms of an economic boon. Once again proving that money talks.

The show itself, while generally solid, was a bit boring in my view. The next show at Alpine was one the best I ever saw. Foolish Victim was starting to really gain some footing in the rotation at that point, but Crazy Fingers was a train wreck, easily the worst of the ones I saw. It was all in all a GOOD show fromSummer '89 but not a GREAT one. YMMV.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally agree about 1989-07-15. It had some boring portions but also some great moments. With the above "edited" version of the Foolish I took out nearly all of the singing, with the Victim I took out all of the singing, with the Crazy Fingers I was able to remove the trainwreck singing flubs but keep the fantastic jerry guitar, with the Truckin' i removed the entire song poriton and iwth the smokestack i reduced it to one verse.

All in all I wouldn't listen to the entirety of all the songs, but the "edited" version actually plays very very well in my opinion...

1989-07-15__Foolish~Victim~Crazy Fingers~Truckin'~Smokestack~Jam__gd_sbd_noblesville_edited97307

I was at 7-15-89 as well. I'm sure I mentioned this before but we slept in a corn field the night before the show and was woken up in the early morning by a local cop who told us to scram before an angry farmer arrived with his shotgun. Cops and security were searching cars at the gate making sure only people with tickets were allowed on the lot. IIRC a beautiful tapestry backdrop across and behind the stage. I do recall Smokestack Lightening seeming to come out of nowhere but its been 30 years since I heard the show. Deer Creek reminded me a lot of Poplar Creek which I sorely miss...

All The Years Live

Grateful Dead archivist David Lemieux introduces the new Grateful Dead live performance upload series "All The Years Live", which will feature new uploads each Thursday at 8AM Pacific. Watch the first video -- Morning Dew (Winterland 10/18/74) -- here http://bit.ly/MorningDewWinterland74

I saw this. I clicked the link from the article to the GD Youtube channel with no success. I'm glad they are doing it, but would waaaaay more prefer entire shows rather than single songs from shows. Still, it's a good thing.

I saw this. I clicked the link from the article to the GD Youtube channel with no success. I'm glad they are doing it, but would waaaaay more prefer entire shows rather than single songs from shows. Still, it's a good thing.

I would think they'd want you to buy the whole show on dvd or whatever. I guess you could make some good playlists though, pretty convenient for when you're too high to deal with dvd's. 

Finally got around to watching "Long Strange Trip". Some of that footage was freaking amazing! I have the second half lined up for tonight.

Finally got around to watching "Long Strange Trip". Some of that footage was freaking amazing! I have the second half lined up for tonight.

We won't spoil the ending, then.

The article did a good job of describing the way he speaks, deliberate spaciness with weird phrases. The Jerry dreams were really cool too. Think I've heard part of them, but don't think he's discussed the whole thing before. I don't have much interest in what Weir is up to musically these days, am in the camp of people he tells not to come to his shows, but lots of respect and am happy he is doing what he wants. Weir continues to have one of the most uniquely American/Californian lives ever.

Yeah - even when the GD were on hiatus in 75, he went on tour with Kingfish. 

Curious to know if ever went a year without gigging/touring since 65/66. 

Saw on another board that the 8/1/19 Grateful Dead Movie Meet-up will be 6/17/91 from Giants Stadium.

Also:

As a special treat, this extraordinary screening will also feature a reveal of the Grateful Dead's 2019 boxed set, featuring the Dead's legacy manager, archivist and producer David Lemieux.

Saw on another board that the 8/1/19 Grateful Dead Movie Meet-up will be 6/17/91 from Giants Stadium.

Also:

That quote is intriguing. They missed the traditional May box set last month, but were promoting the $800 Woodstock box. Which is nice, but...no.

Apparently I'd better save some cash for what we will find out about in a few hours haha.

• 2 weeks later...

On Tour With The Grateful Dead, Summer 1993

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BqvEpPyjXM&feature=youtu.be

At first I thought it was going to be this year's box set announcement and I was happy to be saving money this year....

I had friends (who all had tickets) go to this show -- they enjoyed it. Ohio freaked me out, even back then - so I wasn't too upset that I couldn't go, due to work.