I am not familiarized with GD beyond 1991...does anybody think there is 1993 material for a box set? Any great shows out there? Thanks

No there isn't.  :rotfl  Well I guess somebody might find some they think are worthy, but not me.  1991 is the last year I listen to and that is very infrequently.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Tour With The Grateful Dead, Summer 1993

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BqvEpPyjXM&feature=youtu.be

I didn't know Peter Shapiro didn't see the Dead until 1993.  I dug Kesey's statement about the fleeting moment of brilliance, the crack in your consciousness that "lets in all the light and opens up all the possibilities...the kids will watch 5 hours of mediocre music for that one moment, that click, because it puts them in touch with the invisible."

My wife and her sister are going to see Dead and Company at Wrigley this weekend.

I'm staying home. Happily so.

Yeah, I have no interest. Cant abide with Mayer and the sluggish tempos don't do anything for me

I thought it strange that GA field tickets are still available for Friday night (but not for Saturday's show?)

But then again, 2 of those will run you about $400... Over $30 in fees per ticket. That's nuts. 

I'm still wavering on getting Los Lobos tickets for an outdoor show in Aurora in July (opening for the Mavericks) - Those are $45. 

Winston, you could always sit on the hill and grassy areas outside that venue. I saw lots and lots of people doing just that when the Beach Boys played there a few yrs ago. Its an option, just sayin...

I am not familiarized with GD beyond 1991...does anybody think there is 1993 material for a box set? Any great shows out there? Thanks

No there isn't.  :rotfl  Well I guess somebody might find some they think are worthy, but not me.  1991 is the last year I listen to and that is very infrequently.

I wholeheartedly agree. 1991 was the last year of good shows that I saw or still listen to. The Boston Garden fall run specifically. I saw several 93-95 shows, any moments of inspiration were few and far between. 

My wife and her sister are going to see Dead and Company at Wrigley this weekend.

I'm staying home. Happily so.

Yeah, I have no interest. Cant abide with Mayer and the sluggish tempos don't do anything for me

Same, I can't do it anymore. So slow and sluggish, every song the same mid-tempo. The end for me came when I got home from the Wilco St. Paul November 2017 run and went to a Dead & Co. show the next night. I thought my head was going to explode in frustration at the lack of any dynamic range. I see as many JRAD shows as possible. My favorite way to see live GD music these days.  

Eh - I have always had an enjoyable enough time at a Dead & Co show. The tempo's never bothered me, too much and I don't agree that every tune has the same tempo, per se -- but each tune has definitely has been tweaked, tempo wise, but it never seems to me that the band is just going through the motions.  That being all said I am skipping the Chicago shows this year.  

As far a Mayer goes - I am fine with him. He seems earnest and he definitely brings his own self to the gig --- rather than just emulating, which I appreciate.

It also helps that my wife dig's the D&C-- she has always put up with the Grateful Dead and enjoys listening to  the 65-95 run stuff, but prior to this incarnation, she has always skipped going to shows with me (except for one 2009 Dead show, which she hated) -- she has been enjoying the last few years of shows, so that has been fun. 

Same, I can't do it anymore. So slow and sluggish, every song the same mid-tempo. The end for me came when I got home from the Wilco St. Paul November 2017 run and went to a Dead & Co. show the next night. I thought my head was going to explode in frustration at the lack of any dynamic range. I see as many JRAD shows as possible. My favorite way to see live GD music these days.  

So slow and sluggish, every song the same mid-tempo....yup...but I saw the wrigley shows a few years ago (and Petty on the Friday night) and I did have a great time with friends.

Attending Dead Co is kind of like attending a live version of a VH-1 show about the grateful dead. That show never got the rights to use the actual music so it utilized similar sounding music. Dead Co is kind of the same for me.

$400 bucks for GA is steep. I'm happy to hang with friends for a weekend in chicago but $800 for two nights is really steep for VH-1 soundtrack.

Attending Dead Co is kind of like attending a live version of a VH-1 show about the grateful dead. That show never got the rights to use the actual music so it utilized similar sounding music. Dead Co is kind of the same for me.

:lol

I suppose it has been talked about to death. But i still don't know why they got that guy in the band.

Crossover appeal, and the potential to make a fuckload of touring money. Compare the income of Dead & Co's tours to any tour that Weir's been involved with since '95. What's the difference? John Meyer is the difference. He makes it rain for those guys. 

That's perfect. 

I feel bad - there's a newish dad in the neighborhood, and we're all just starting to kind of hang out. He came to a St. Paddy's day party we threw, and he heard I was "into the Dead" so he was very excited to talk about Dead & Co with me, and I had to hold him up, saying that I really had no interest in the newest iteration with the band. He got kind of defensive, and it almost got awkward, but I wasn't being a dick about it - I just said I had no interest. I like the old stuff, Meyer's a fine player, but does nothing for me, the tempos are too slow, etc. etc. etc. 

Anyways - fast forward to a week or so ago, he wanted to know if I was interested in going in on a Nugs livecast of any of the upcoming shows. The devil floating over my left shoulder was screaming "No you dipshit! Don't you remember? I said I had no interest. The last thing I want to do is sit on my couch listening to some band I don't want to be listening to." The angel over my right shoulder said "Be nice! Be kind. It might be fun to hang out." So I told him that if he wanted to order something up, I'd be game, and I'd head over once I put all the boys down in bed." The next day I couldn't resist telling him "full disclosure though, I'm really not a Dead & Co guy." I haven't heard from him since, and now I feel bad. 

Weekend nights are MY time. You know? Would I rather watch Dead & Co plod through another 6 song 1st set, or do I want to watch the new Scorsese Dylan doc on Netflix? 

That's perfect. 

I feel bad - there's a newish dad in the neighborhood, and we're all just starting to kind of hang out. He came to a St. Paddy's day party we threw, and he heard I was "into the Dead" so he was very excited to talk about Dead & Co with me, and I had to hold him up, saying that I really had no interest in the newest iteration with the band. He got kind of defensive, and it almost got awkward, but I wasn't being a dick about it - I just said I had no interest. I like the old stuff, Meyer's a fine player, but does nothing for me, the tempos are too slow, etc. etc. etc. 

Anyways - fast forward to a week or so ago, he wanted to know if I was interested in going in on a Nugs livecast of any of the upcoming shows. The devil floating over my left shoulder was screaming "No you dipshit! Don't you remember? I said I had no interest. The last thing I want to do is sit on my couch listening to some band I don't want to be listening to." The angel over my right shoulder said "Be nice! Be kind. It might be fun to hang out." So I told him that if he wanted to order something up, I'd be game, and I'd head over once I put all the boys down in bed." The next day I couldn't resist telling him "full disclosure though, I'm really not a Dead & Co guy." I haven't heard from him since, and now I feel bad. 

Weekend nights are MY time. You know? Would I rather watch Dead & Co plod through another 6 song 1st set, or do I want to watch the new Scorsese Dylan doc on Netflix? 

Dude, there are a group of dad's in my neighborhood that got all excited for the new Avengers movie. Count your blessings. If he's a decent guy I'd hang with him. Maybe bring a Dead dvd or some youtubes to watch at setbreak to try and enlighten him. 

But yeah, recently was wearing a stealie shirt, and some woman was like, "oh, I just saw them last week." Just nod and smile, slowly back out of the room. 

You guys are lucky to have peers in your hood. I'm surrounded by super old people and crazy morons.

I think Mayer is great, but the slow tempos are definitely frustrating.  I'll be seeing both shows this weekend and hoping for the best.  I still think, overall, D&C is the best incarnation out there by a long shot and the best to come out in a long long time.  I am also a huge Bobby mark so i'll pretty much see him whenever with whoever.

That's perfect. 

You just described my whole feeling about this perfectly. Cheers.  :thumbup

I really like the Autzen 8.22.93. Extended versions of Jack Straw and Bertha as Weir had guitar issues, great Broken Arrow, really nice H->S->Franklin's....

Also, 9.22.93 is very good, with appearances by David Murray and James Cotton.

5.27.93 Cal Expo has a great Shakedown opener and Cassidy->UJB->Cassidy that is excellent.

I really like the Autzen 8.22.93. Extended versions of Jack Straw and Bertha as Weir had guitar issues, great Broken Arrow, really nice H->S->Franklin's....

Also, 9.22.93 is very good, with appearances by David Murray and James Cotton.

5.27.93 Cal Expo has a great Shakedown opener and Cassidy->UJB->Cassidy that is excellent.

Thanks Lamny! I will check them out..still  doin' my way on Pacific Northwest ’73-’74 and the monster '90 23 cd box

I once told Mountain Bed I was not really interested in the GD beyond about 1971. He reached through the computer screen and hit me in the nose.

I had the same experience when I told him how much I like it when Wilco plays ITMWLY live.