• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose it has been talked about to death. But i still don't know why they got that guy in the band.

Don Was hooked Mayer up with them. 

Going to Citifield tomorrow and looking forward to it.  Usually do 1 show per tour and its still a good time.  Also dig the big rock show with all the bells and whistles and Weir and Kreutzman are still in good shape.  Agree that sometimes the tempos are a bit slow (lookin' at you bobby) and while Oteil is a great bass player, I do miss what Phil brings to the table.  Speaking of Phil, I caught a killer P&F show a couple of months ago with Luther Dickinson and Benmont Tench, so Phil can still bring it as well, just depends on who is friends are.

• 3 weeks later...

Stumbled upon partial video of 7/1/79. The video quality is a bit blurry, but that just makes Jerry fuzzy and soft with the right kind of eyes. Sound is great, and the band was feeling confident and weird that night. Great (partial) setlist.

https://youtu.be/z3qEJxb-R2Q

Set 2 (partial)
Terrapin Station
Playing In The Band 12:11
Drums
Space
Stella Blue
Truckin'
Around And Around
E: Shakedown Street

Stella Blue coming out of Space is pretty sweet.

Very sweet. I think that might have happened less than 10 times in the early Brent Years (79-80), and then the only one I really recall after that was 6/14/91 RFK. 

Gotta love Voodoonola.

I had planned to go to the JRAD show, but my wife booked a different show (Heart and Sheryl Crow of all things) for her to go to tonight, prior to me bringing it up. No real big deal, I guess though.

I'd be curious to know if the outside lawn area is open (the area where you can't really see the stage).  I wonder how much of draw they get. I think this will be the biggest venue they have ever played in Chicago. 

Last time I saw JRAD I was "whelmed" - not under or over. Was a ton of fun though. I think they did a 25 minute Tennessee Jed.

Phil's Quintet lineup would do that kind of muscle flexing at times. Sure, it's amazing, but after a while, they're just showing off. 

Phil's Quintet lineup would do that kind of muscle flexing at times. Sure, it's amazing, but after a while, they're just showing off. 

I kinda agree ---- which is why I never got into the Q (i did see them 2 or 3 times) or in a no real hurry to see JRAD.

Never liked the Q for that reason as well.  I don't need to see a 20 minute Cumberland Blues, part of the fun of that song is it's compact punch.  Everyone taking a solo or two adds nothing to it.

I saw The Q a good number of times from '99-'02. While I understand the idea of "showing off" - there was more than a little of that - it also COULD be amazing, as JW said as well. I really liked that band a lot, but then I was a huge Fusion/Prog fan as a young guy so that might explain THAT. There was a lot going on at times, almost an aural assault. But when they were all locked in and listening to each other it was some of the best GD music I've ever heard, certainly more exciting than the last few years of the Jerry-led band. Deer Creek 7/15/01 was just an amazing night - I've been to The Creek maybe 150 times or more over the last 30 years and it was a Top 10 all time Creek show, by any band I've ever saw there.

I saw The Q a good number of times from '99-'02. While I understand the idea of "showing off" - there was more than a little of that - it also COULD be amazing, as JW said as well. I really liked that band a lot, but then I was a huge Fusion/Prog fan as a young guy so that might explain THAT. There was a lot going on at times, almost an aural assault. But when they were all locked in and listening to each other it was some of the best GD music I've ever heard, certainly more exciting than the last few years of the Jerry-led band. Deer Creek 7/15/01 was just an amazing night - I've been to The Creek maybe 150 times or more over the last 30 years and it was a Top 10 all time Creek show, by any band I've ever saw there.

Agree with much of that. The Q could be pretty thrilling, it was a fresh approach to the music that needed a kick in the ass after the last few years of the Dead. But like JRAD, not sure it stands the test of time. Can't say I'm itching to listen to the Q much now these days, and even when they've had little reunions over the past few years, it doesn't quite do what it used to. Would rather listen to Jerry.

JRAD was fun last night. Received Wilco goodness twice. Once with a cover of Hoodoo Voodoo, and twice when Glen Kottke joined the band for Other One drumming splendor.

It was a fine show. I think I’m finding it harder to get to the point of musical ecstasy I long for. I think I was there during the drum duo of Other One.

JRAD was fun last night. Received Wilco goodness twice. Once with a cover of Hoodoo Voodoo, and twice when Glen Kottke joined the band for Other One drumming splendor.

It was a fine show. I think I’m finding it harder to get to the point of musical ecstasy I long for. I think I was there during the drum duo of Other One.

That would have been great to see.

The Q could be pretty thrilling, it was a fresh approach to the music that needed a kick in the ass after the last few years of the Dead.  Can't say I'm itching to listen to the Q much now these days..  Would rather listen to Jerry.

Yes, yes and yes. 

:blink  :dj

Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/03/1979 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound.

I'm not familiar with that 12/3 show. If it's anything like 12/1 this will be a GREAT pick. I have to wonder if there were any tape anomalies that prevented 12/1 from consideration. I'm a huge fan of Fall '79, that show and the NYE run in particular.

I need to see if this is a Betty, and at what exact date Meyer Sound came on board. I was thinking it was the NY Run but it might have been earlier in the tour.

I'm not familiar with that 12/3 show. If it's anything like 12/1 this will be a GREAT pick. I have to wonder if there were any tape anomalies that prevented 12/1 from consideration. I'm a huge fan of Fall '79, that show and the NYE run in particular.

I need to see if this is a Betty, and at what exact date Meyer Sound came on board. I was thinking it was the NY Run but it might have been earlier in the tour.

From the Dead site:

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

For anyone interested...

slightly edited version of Peggy Let it Grow from 15 october 1977...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaCJInintFE&feature=youtu.be

and

slightly edited version of Scarlet Fire from 13 may 1979

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9IpbhcvpJQ&feature=youtu.be

and

slightly edited version of Playin' from 10 september 1972

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LIwvRjrwoM&feature=youtu.be

and

slightly edited version of To Lay Me Down from 23 June 1974

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUb4XvNnjjE&feature=youtu.be

and

a link to all of them...