• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just realized today was the anniversary of my favorite unreleased show: 7/18/72.

First 72 Birdsong and a Dark Star>Comes A Time! Plus one of the best MAMU versions ever. And a beautiful Stella. Hell, the whole thing is worth hearing.

https://archive.org/details/gd72-07-18.sbd.cribbs.9067.sbeok.shn

Appreciate the recommendation. Love Me & My Uncle, never get sick of hearing it - unlike some other first set Bobby staples. Not sure if I can rank versions, they're all pretty similar. Also not sure I knew it was referred to as MAMU. Very informative post. 

Appreciate the recommendation. Love Me & My Uncle, never get sick of hearing it - unlike some other first set Bobby staples. Not sure if I can rank versions, they're all pretty similar. Also not sure I knew it was referred to as MAMU. Very informative post. 

My pleasure. This is a great first AND second set show...actually, I think it might have technically been three sets. Enjoy!

Last night was the 39th anniversary of my first concert ever - Jerry Garcia Band (with Dr John opening).

The version of Tangled Up in Blue from that night is one of my favorite live music memories.  

Not a bad first concert. Early or late show? 

It must have been the late show - they didn't play Tangled in the early show.

Curious if people were bummed that the early and late shows during this period only lasted a little over an hour or so?

I did listen to both of these shows today and they sounded pretty great. Ozzie's playing usually bugs me, but during these shows, the mix was great.

Not a bad first concert. Early or late show? 

It was the early show.  

https://jerrygarcia.com/show/1980-07-25-orpheum-theater-boston-ma/

The early/late thing was a bit of a bummer, particularly when they would just announce one show and then later add in a late show (rather than a second night).  

And I agree on Ozzie's playing.  I like it on this show, particularly on Tangled.  

Apparently there will be a "gender reveal"  ;)  of the new box set at the Meet Up on Thursday. Has anyone heard about what it might be? I've asked everyone I know who is connected and I'm getting nothing. Anyone here hear rumors/answers on this? Deadheads aren't well known for caring about "spoilers". 

Apparently there will be a "gender reveal"  ;)  of the new box set at the Meet Up on Thursday. Has anyone heard about what it might be? I've asked everyone I know who is connected and I'm getting nothing. Anyone here hear rumors/answers on this? Deadheads aren't well known for caring about "spoilers". 

It is kinda nice not knowing --- me and two friends will be catching the movie on Thursday -- I can't see it being kept secret until then, though. 

I am guessing once the theaters get the actual movie in it's possession, it will leak.

I will try to keep my ears and eyes closed, until then, though. 

If is a 89 - 91 type release, though - I probably will skip it. 

Curious if people were bummed that the early ans me, but during these shows, the mix was great.d late shows during this period only lasted a little over an hour or so?

Yes. Caught a handful  of these "early/late"  show deals (one with Dr. John at the Beacon in NYC). It was some bullshit and a blatant way to pad their pockets. Take a regular show, cut it into two parts for two different paying crowds. Bullshit, but I still did some of them, heh.

Isn't it 17 June 1991?

Yes, that's the concert that will be played at the movie theaters -- we are talking about the box set announcement that will happen prior to the 7/17/91 showing. 

The box set dates/info are still a mystery...

It was the early show.  

https://jerrygarcia.com/show/1980-07-25-orpheum-theater-boston-ma/

The early/late thing was a bit of a bummer, particularly when they would just announce one show and then later add in a late show (rather than a second night).  

And I agree on Ozzie's playing.  I like it on this show, particularly on Tangled.  

Yes. Caught a handful  of these "early/late"  show deals (one with Dr. John at the Beacon in NYC). It was some bullshit and a blatant way to pad their pockets. Take a regular show, cut it into two parts for two different paying crowds. Bullshit, but I still did some of them, heh.

Did most people typically end up going to both shows, then. 

I never did, though most of the ones I caught were school nights and I was i high school. I know people who would do both, though....Usually pretty small theaters..,,

I received the latest Dave's (#31) last night: 12/3/79 - Uptown Theater, Chicago. 

Listened to the first set on my commute this morning.... Meh. Althea was good. Restrained...

Hoping for a livelier 2nd set. 

Honestly, I think the 79 / 80 / 81 soundboards are a bit flat sounding. I really seek out the matrix or straight up auds for this era. It just gives a bit more intensity or feeling.

Honestly, I think the 79 / 80 / 81 soundboards are a bit flat sounding. I really seek out the matrix or straight up auds for this era. It just gives a bit more intensity or feeling.

I don't know if Garcia was off his gourd or what, but if I was at that show, I would have walked out during the ending of Wharf rat and never looked back. That was a train wreck. 

If this was the best show they could muster for Dave's picks, then they're definitely scraping for resins, or holding back on Betty shows just to prolong the usefulness of this subscription. 

I only did once but definitely lots of people did.  Logistically it was a drag.  People filing out while others are lining up outside.  And some percentage of those filing out were only going far enough to get back in line.  

I only did once but definitely lots of people did.  Logistically it was a drag.  People filing out while others are lining up outside.  And some percentage of those filing out were only going far enough to get back in line.  

Yeah, I went to an early and late Bob Dylan show once at the Park West in Chicago - it was a bit of a cluster-fuck.

I did have friends who were only going to the late show, so they had been in line for a bit -- I did slide right into their spot as I was getting out of the early show, so in hindsight, perhaps I was part of the cluster creation.

(Dylan did announce both shows at the same time though, unlike Garcia.)

Yeah, I went to an early and late Bob Dylan show once at the Park West in Chicago - it was a bit of a cluster-fuck.

I did have friends who were only going to the late show, so they had been in line for a bit -- I did slide right into their spot as I was getting out of the early show, so in hindsight, perhaps I was part of the cluster creation.

(Dylan did announce both shows at the same time though, unlike Garcia.)

That was Dylan in a really intimate place, breaking in a new band member, Charlie Sexton. So I think the early/late show thing is acceptable given those circumstances. I went to one, amazing experience. And I think he pretty much played full shows, not abbreviated by much if at all. 

I don't know if Garcia was off his gourd or what, but if I was at that show, I would have walked out during the ending of Wharf rat and never looked back. That was a train wreck. 

If this was the best show they could muster for Dave's picks, then they're definitely scraping for resins, or holding back on Betty shows just to prolong the usefulness of this subscription. 

I'll respectfully disagree. The whole first half-decade of the Brent Era is so woefully under-represented in the catalog it's always a pleasure when they delve into that. I know they were way lax in running tape from the board in those first 5 Brent years - which seemed to disappear after the 1/85 bust - but I love that period nearly as much as any other classic period. 

I might have went with 12/1 -just because I'm super-familiar with that show - but the sound of the band Fall '79 is very jazz-like especially in the jams.

That was Dylan in a really intimate place, breaking in a new band member, Charlie Sexton. So I think the early/late show thing is acceptable given those circumstances. I went to one, amazing experience. And I think he pretty much played full shows, not abbreviated by much if at all. 

Definitely not abbreviated --- I just brought it up because the whole logistic angle of filing in and out between shows was brought up. Both shows were indeed great. A friend was able to tape the 1st show, but got nabbed during the 2nd - they just took the dat -- they even let him stay for the remainder of the show, if I remember correctly. 

I think the Park West shows were announced a very shortly before the actual shows. The Park West shows were on 10/26/99 -- he was back in town, after playing 3 more shows elsewhere, on the 31st at UIC, where he played with Phil at UIC. I remember a bit underwhelmed during Phil's set on the 31st.  He had nice line up, but it didn't seem to go anywhere for me, that night.

Paul Barrere - guitar

Phil Lesh - bass guitar

John Molo - drums

Billy Payne - keyboards

Derek Trucks - guitar

Definitely not abbreviated --- I just brought it up because the whole logistic angle of filing in and out between shows was brought up. Both shows were indeed great. A friend was able to tape the 1st show, but got nabbed during the 2nd - they just took the dat -- they even let him stay for the remainder of the show, if I remember correctly. 

I think the Park West shows were announced a very shortly before the actual shows. The Park West shows were on 10/26/99 -- he was back in town, after playing 3 more shows elsewhere, on the 31st at UIC, where he played with Phil at UIC. I remember a bit underwhelmed during Phil's set on the 31st.  He had nice line up, but it didn't seem to go anywhere for me, that night.

Paul Barrere - guitar

Phil Lesh - bass guitar

John Molo - drums

Billy Payne - keyboards

Derek Trucks - guitar

Yeah, I was at the UIC show too. Kimock had just quite Phil's band, and Derek was subbing. Pretty underwhelming show. Think a Dixie Chicken and/or Fat Man in the Bathtub were the highlights of Phil's set. Dylan's set was smoking though, with I believe Silvio and Not Fade Away standing out.