• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'eh I  find him amusing -- he has an impossible gig.  

I actually sit through the "seaside" (or, this time, riverside) chats, just so I can shake my head at the outrageous OCD or ADHD, or whatever it is. He's probably a good dude, but what a goober.  :omg

He seems like he'll say any bullshit the marketers tell him to.   I have a hard time respecting his opinion after he says every release is incredible, awesome, unique, best show, blah blah blah when some are great, some are good and many are mediocre, but they all get the same hyperbolic praise from him.  And he's such a dork.  Surely there is someone who deserves that job more and would be better at it than him, if the company were willing to hire someone who was in it for the fans and for the music, not the profit.  They probably got the best man for the job for what their priorities are.

He seems like he'll say any bullshit the marketers tell him to.   I have a hard time respecting his opinion after he says every release is incredible, awesome, unique, best show, blah blah blah when some are great, some are good and many are mediocre, but they all get the same hyperbolic praise from him.  And he's such a dork.  Surely there is someone who deserves that job more and would be better at it than him, if the company were willing to hire someone who was in it for the fans and for the music, not the profit.  They probably got the best man for the job for what their priorities are.

I feel this, too. The hyperbole really, really gets to me. (I'm using that word "really" because there are so many of those in the newest chat.)

It's bizarre that he seems to have an encyclopedic knowledge of shows yet still remains a dipshit. At least he doesn't sprinkle his chats with out-of-context lyric quotes. :lol

Charile Miller for official Grateful Dead archivist!! He would do it the right way!

We might get a little more 80-85 Brent Era if that was to happen. The dude puts in the time with what he does. 

The next Dave's Pick will be the Dekalb show from 10/29/77. It's a little hard to find the info from the sub page, but Dave talks about it in the video: https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-2020-subscription.html

OK, first off I like this show quite a bit. There are stellar versions of quite a few tunes, even if they don't make anyone's "Top" list. It's a solid show for the period. But here's why I'm not the biggest fan of this tour, or the Spring tour that follows: there's some serious repetitiveness going on with the setlist - there were 25 songs played at least 20 times in about 80 shows, Estimated appears nearly every night, and Samson every other night, just to start. Promised opened nearly a quarter of the shows, there's a shit ton of Bertha Good Lovin's, etc etc. Eyes was played 25% of the time, the version here is very good. 

This is the tour where I hear Mickey's foot more than ever before. This is a ROCK version of GD, subtlety took a back seat many times. It's played well, no question. But the tours from '76 and then post-Egypt is much looser and jazz-like. It's just a matter of preference, no one here has to agree with me. 

OK, first off I like this show quite a bit. There are stellar versions of quite a few tunes, even if they don't make anyone's "Top" list. It's a solid show for the period. But here's why I'm not the biggest fan of this tour, or the Spring tour that follows: there's some serious repetitiveness going on with the setlist - there were 25 songs played at least 20 times in about 80 shows, Estimated appears nearly every night, and Samson every other night, just to start. Promised opened nearly a quarter of the shows, there's a shit ton of Bertha Good Lovin's, etc etc. Eyes was played 25% of the time, the version here is very good. 

This is the tour where I hear Mickey's foot more than ever before. This is a ROCK version of GD, subtlety took a back seat many times. It's played well, no question. But the tours from '76 and then post-Egypt is much looser and jazz-like. It's just a matter of preference, no one here has to agree with me. 

I'm sure I like the show quite a bit myself, although I'll always look for a Scarlet>Fire if I'm going for a '77 show. Weirdly enough, the headyversion.com votes are for the opening Might As Well and the Black Peter as being GOAT status. I'll have to give it a listen to see if I beg to differ. :lol

I'm sure I like the show quite a bit myself, although I'll always look for a Scarlet>Fire if I'm going for a '77 show. Weirdly enough, the headyversion.com votes are for the opening Might As Well and the Black Peter as being GOAT status. I'll have to give it a listen to see if I beg to differ. :lol

While the 10/29/77 Might As Well is intense, its kinda out of control careening off the tracks and Jerry is screaming more than singing at the end, but it does rock, must've been awesome in person.  Try the Let It Grow from this show, blazing and soaring and rocking!

Man, I would love to own the Alligator. 

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25922/lot/323/

It's kinda of crazy that it was originally bought by Nash for $250.

Alligator is believed to have been gifted to Jerry Garcia in 1970 by Graham Nash (ex-Hollies; Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young) in appreciation of Garcia's guitar work on Nash's solo album Songs For Beginners. Nash supposedly bought the guitar in 1970 for $250 at a pawn shop in Phoenix, TX.