Is it weird that there's an autographed picture of Larry Bird in the middle of Jerry's stuff?

(I'm assuming that it wasn't his ...)

Bill Walton took Larry and a bunch of other Celtics to a Dead show at Boston Garden once. They apparently loved it. 

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill Walton took Larry and a bunch of other Celtics to a Dead show at Boston Garden once. They apparently loved it. 

Oh yeah.  I remember hearing about that - and also thinking what a drag it would be to have a row of 6"10" inch guys standing in front of you!  :lol

From my faded memory, it could have been the '91 run. And I seem to recall that McHale and Chief were in on that outing. Parish would fit right in with all the pot smoking  :twitchsmile

From my faded memory, it could have been the '91 run. And I seem to recall that McHale and Chief were in on that outing. Parish would fit right in with all the pot smoking  :twitchsmile

I take that back. Listening to Today in Grateful Dead History, Worcester 11/5/85. Lemieux says Walton brought almost the entire team to this show, so this is probably what I was referring to. 

Below is a link for all the Garcia stuff up for bid. You ain't kiddin' about the comic books, jw -- quite a bit of them.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25922/#/!

True story: one time I was lucky enough to have dinner with The David Nelson Band before a show at my friend's bar in Charleston SC. After dinner David and I retired to a sun room for a cig. I was NOT gonna blow it by asking about Jerry, NRPS, or even music. He brought up the subject of comic books - of which I had a passing knowledge  - and the guy had an encyclopedic knowledge of the stuff, mentioned his collection, etc. On that and The Civil War (I had brought up just seeing the Burns doc) the man was an absolute authority on both subjects, and I was left dumbstruck by how amiable and scholarly he was.

Not that this has anything to do with anything, but I guess he was one of Garcia's oldest and dearest musical buddies and they must have shared some of the same obsessions. Plus, I just wanted to brag because it was one of the best nights of my life. I turned 40 a couple of days later. Pretty nice early birthday present.  :stunned

I take that back. Listening to Today in Grateful Dead History, Worcester 11/5/85. Lemieux says Walton brought almost the entire team to this show, so this is probably what I was referring to. 

Did anyone here see the PPV of 12/31/87 where between sets Tom Davis interviews Kesey, Bird, McHale, and possibly someone else (?). It's all fun and games until Kesey makes a comment about "Well, we've all smoked pot, we have that in common!", and you can visibly see Bird (a face for a stupid amount of corporations, including the Celtics) immediately get REAL uncomfortable. It's really something.

Guest Mamiejutty

I would bet warren too. Ill do more than one but not many. If its JK, Im doing the whole tour. They shouldnt call it the grateful dead. The dead can celebrate 50 years of the grateful dead. Although, I guess it doesnt matter. Jerry was an illusion right.

New Bob and Wolf Bros tourdates for next spring announced today.  Think i'll hit up one or both of the Chicago shows, even though they're mid-week.

The recent show I saw was real fun. But listening back to it now, and it is slower than I recall. I think being in Bob's presence and hearing/singing those classic songs has a hypnotic effect. And also, drugs. 

I really enjoyed the 2nd night at the Chicago Theatre last year --- that being said, I can skip this time around. It was great just seeing a trio up on stage - it helped that I had great seats and the crowd around me was great. Security let a lot things slide, which was a bit odd for the venue. I think the tape holds up, too.

Pulled a mid floor center aisle seat for the Thursday night show in Chicago, $110 after fees.  Closer to the stage was $130+ and even the balconies were over $80.  Unreal.  Don't think i'll hit both shows at those prices.

A few thoughts about the last few years of Dave's yearly series:

- Generally speaking, '18 & '19 were solid. I guess we can just go on an assumption that '77 will get a shout out every year. I love everything, but '77 is that meal you eat a lot - you know it'll taste good but maybe we could put something different on the menu? I loved that we had the first show of the 70s and one of the last in '19. The 2018 Boise '83 show was a very pleasant surprise.

- So for 2020, what would you think should be this next year's early Brent Era selection (if there is one, there had better be!)? I personally find it hard to believe that out of 36 Dick's, 17 Road Trips, and now 33 Dave's - plus numerous singular releases and a box set every year - that 1984 has had exactly ONE show put out there, the 10/12 from the 30 Trips box. I'm well aware that '84 is a very hit/miss year, but the under-representation is pretty sad. Anyone who's familiar with that year knows there's some hot shows. So...my vote is for a good HQ '84 show.

- So for 2020, what would you think should be this next year's early Brent Era selection

After 6 years on the Dave's subscription, I'm bowing out this year. Too many diminishing returns. I used to be so excited to listen to the newest Pick, but I haven't even gotten around to the most recent one yet.