There also a new Riders of The Purple Sage boxset coming out from the Owsley Foundation. 

We couldn't be more thrilled to announce OSF's 4th release of Bear's Sonic Journals: Dawn of the New Riders of the Purple Sage. In celebration of the band's 50th anniversary, this new release contains 5 CDs of music, including 60 tracks from 9 different nights at 4 different venues spanning the first year of the band's existence -- all recorded by Bear! Nearly two-dozen tracks have never before been officially released by either the New Riders or the Grateful Dead. Pre-order through our website starting on Black Friday for delivery before the winter solstice. Won't be sold anywhere else until January 10. 

The Bear's Lair August 1, 1969

The Family Dog August 28, 1969
Mandrakes(?) October 14, 1969
Fillmore West June 4, 1970

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There also a new Riders of The Purple Sage boxset coming out from the Owsley Foundation. 

This sounds very interesting. Between about 15 and 20 years ago I was on a NRPS tree ran by a guy named Noah Weiner. The guy I got my stuff from was Barry Barnes. He did a lot of work with the GD Compendiums, really nice guy. I got a couple of hundred hours from that group - a lot, if not most of the FMs from the Dead radio broadcasts in '71. There was a '69 show that was just McDuke & Garcia in some small room, I'm having a brain fart on the name!

Anyway, this is 3 shows of VERY early Riders. I'll have to look at the price because The Dead keeps me pretty broke haha.

It's great to hear Jerry on that pedal steel.

Definitely. It's just different from other, more established players on the instrument at that time. 

I remember David and/or Marmaduke talking about how hard all those marathon gigs (1 set on acoustic, one on pedal steel, 2 on electric) eventually became for Garcia. He was ready to quit doing the Riders' set and they were like, "Hold on, we gotta get the right guy, he'll be here soon!". And they get a real motherfucker - Buddy Cage. But that was when the LSD went out of their music and they became a great harder-core country band. Garcia's lines on the steel - as amateurish as they may be - still had his trademark psychedelic curl at the end of a phrase. It doesn't sound 'traditional'. Not that traditional is bad, it's just that he was able to put his own stamp on the thing.

Well don't waste any more time, get this one going! '73 Dead always goes to the top of my new release playlist

I could not agree more. I love all the years in that period but there's just some X Factor at work in 73 that is incomparable. There's a level of preciseness and clarity that makes almost any song in a show really interesting. 3 minute songs, songs you normally might consider "stock" or a "throwaway". They can all sparkle.

Maybe it's because of the sheer amount of shows Garcia was playing then. There's around 75 GD shows that year, maybe 40-50 with Merl, add in the (to me) possibly most important factor - the 25 or so O&ITW shows with Jerry on banjo. The dude's chops were at an alltime high. THEN he gets the NYE holiday off - no Dead show. So he apparently HAD to go sit in with the Allmans at the Cow Palace! He could have had a NYE at home...but nooooo!  :D

72 always was my favorite year, but in the past couple years 73 has taken over - especially the february / march tour...

And there is always 17 September 1982:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Have any of you freaks gotten the new GarciaLive Vol. 12 release? They should have attributed it to "Jerry Garcia & Merl Saunders featuring Sarah Fulcher."

According to the website, Sarah's tenure with the group was "brief but revolutionary." Man, someone online turned me on to a digital copy of this, and thank God I didn't actually pay for it. Sarah's vocal, er, stylings, are like 20 minutes' worth of high-ptiched shrieks. Think Donna's "whoa-oo-oh-yeeeeahhh" shriek, only in vast quantities. Quite possibly the worst things I've ever heard on a Garcia release.

I already had the shows from the following two nights, but didn't realize this was the Sarah era. (I actually thought they were Maria Muldaur vocals--sorry, Maria). Had forgotten all about them, as I'd only played them once.

It's a shame, really, because hey, it's '73 Jerry. So of course he sounds fantastic on guitar and vocals. But Sarah simply could not STFU. When she harmonizes with Jer, it's fine--like a nice Donna harmony vocal--but when she goes off, it's horrific.

Someone must like it, though!   :lol

I haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but she doesn't totally destroy the version of It's a Sin.

Like I said, it's really a shame, because Jerry is just on fire--and the sound quality is better than probably the last 10 or more Dave's Picks.

Fortunately there's no shortage of classic Jer from this era out there!

Feature and interview with Sarah Fulcher on Aquarium Drunkard. Sounds like a pretty interesting person, but the results on this release are mixed. Maybe not the whaling and screaming of Donna, but she get pretty repetitive, like she only had one gear. Overall she clutters things up, Jerry Band was at it's best when Jerry had room to breathe.

https://aquariumdrunkard.com/2019/12/17/blanks-and-postage-like-a-road-leading-home-the-elusive-sarah-fulcher-and-the-less-elusive-jerry-garcia/

This is one of those shows--I confess there are quite a few--where I have a digital copy but haven't gotten to it yet. I am familiar with a couple shows around it: the 6/18 show from Freedom Hall, Louisville, KY, and the 6/26 Providence show, featured many years ago via the old Steel Cut Oats site.

There's good stuff on this release, I'm sure, and I'm glad we didn't get something from 1993...but I have to admit I'm a little disappointed having a Wall of Sound show as the feature of the year with the bonus disc. That thin, tinny sound is not one of my favorite things. Oh well, at least it's a good show.

Somewhere in The Great Beyond my dear friend Eric Saltzmann ("Saltine") is smiling and saying, "It's about time" right about now if that stuff exists. He used to rave about 6/23/74, and that was his favorite Dark Star. I never agreed with him on that - he was a lawyer (public defender) and we used to argue about shit like that, based on the evidence haha. But that is an interesting Star - it rarely grazes on the main theme and is quite inventive imo.

I'm of the view that if the board was dialed in from the first set on at all 40 Wall shows it might have been a box set, like Europe '72 or Spring '90. Not that the excellence was sustained for the whole 7 months (it was not) but it was still miles above many other tours later on. 

I hope the Playin from 6/22 is on the bonus disc. That is a motherfucker of a Playin.

I always recall that being a stand out track on the So Many Roads boxset.

Dark Star Jam (Grateful Dead) - 8:28 > Spanish Jam (Grateful Dead) - 4:10 > U.S. Blues (Garcia/Hunter) - 6:50 Jai Alai Fronton, Miami, Florida 1974-06-23

Somewhere in The Great Beyond my dear friend Eric Saltzmann ("Saltine") is smiling and saying, "It's about time" right about now if that stuff exists. He used to rave about 6/23/74, and that was his favorite Dark Star. I never agreed with him on that - he was a lawyer (public defender) and we used to argue about shit like that, based on the evidence haha. But that is an interesting Star - it rarely grazes on the main theme and is quite inventive imo.

I'm of the view that if the board was dialed in from the first set on at all 40 Wall shows it might have been a box set, like Europe '72 or Spring '90. Not that the excellence was sustained for the whole 7 months (it was not) but it was still miles above many other tours later on. 

I hope the Playin from 6/22 is on the bonus disc. That is a motherfucker of a Playin.

the 22 June 1974 playin' is really impressive...totally concur (to use lawyer jargon)...

I think the really underestimated show from this tour is 20 June 1974 Atlanta - really impressive truckin' eyes slipknot china...

2nd most underestimated? 30 June 1974...really really spaced out (high?) Jerry throughout the show. The truckin eyes stella nfa gdtrfb nfa portrays seem really unique jerry playing.

Dave's Picks Vol. 34 announcement - 6/23/74 Jai-Alai Fronton, Miami, FL w/bonus disc of 6/22 highlights.

Very psyched about this release. A freaking classic show. I had this on cassette going back years and it was always a fave. Fantastic Spanish Jam. That entire jam sequence is a winner. Will be glad to have this cleaned up. 

The positive response from you freaks has made me a little happier about the pick. I'll admit, I was kinda hoping for a Fall '72 show, as it seems like we've gotten plenty of '74 lately with that box set. Turns out it's been quite a while since a '74 Dave's Pick. Looking forward to hearing it.

• 3 weeks later...

The next Dave's Pick will be the Dekalb show from 10/29/77. It's a little hard to find the info from the sub page, but Dave talks about it in the video: https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-2020-subscription.html

This is the first time that I've noticed that the Dave's pick isn't sold out almost immediately. It's been for sale for a week now, and it's still not sold out. 

Seems like previous versions have been sold out within hours - so, they've either upped their production numbers, or people are stepping out.