• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Typical Cub fan - always has to have the biggest....

Seriousily though - what's your thoughts on Darvis (KevinG). I haven't been following it all too much - but it doesn't look like the Cubs were ever really interested in re-signing Arrieta. 

Also a 6 year contract for a pitcher seems a bit crazy.

Typical Cub fan - always has to have the biggest....

Seriousily though - what's your thoughts on Darvis (KevinG). I haven't been following it all too much - but it doesn't look like the Cubs were ever really interested in re-signing Arrieta. 

Also a 6 year contract for a pitcher seems a bit crazy.

I for one I am extreme happy that the Cubs signed Darvish.  They needed to get a big time arm to compete with the fire power that Brewers got (BTW, how awesome does the NL Central look this year?  Looking forward to some great games.)  I love Arrieta, but he did seem to be down a step from his Cy Young year (but still great).  Darvish is on the same level, but I think the same level as 2017 Jake not 2015 Jake.  It is my understanding as the Cubs were close to signing Darvish they offered Jake the exact same offer.  He declined.  He either thought he was worth a lot more money, or did not want to stay with the Cubs.  There is a new pitching coach, so that might be a thing.  For what it is worth, Darvish, seems to be really excited to be a Cub.  He seems to really like the front office, and coaching staff (or at least that is what his press conference indicated, but of course is he gonna say he hates everyone, prolly not).  

I for one I am extreme happy that the Cubs signed Darvish.  They needed to get a big time arm to compete with the fire power that Brewers got (BTW, how awesome does the NL Central look this year?  Looking forward to some great games.)  I love Arrieta, but he did seem to be down a step from his Cy Young year (but still great).  Darvish is on the same level, but I think the same level as 2017 Jake not 2015 Jake.  It is my understanding as the Cubs were close to signing Darvish they offered Jake the exact same offer.  He declined.  He either thought he was worth a lot more money, or did not want to stay with the Cubs.  There is a new pitching coach, so that might be a thing.  For what it is worth, Darvish, seems to be really excited to be a Cub.  He seems to really like the front office, and coaching staff (or at least that is what his press conference indicated, but of course is he gonna say he hates everyone, prolly not).  

Arrieta started to bug me (probably stemming from his dumb tweet after the Trump/Clinton election) , so I am fine with him leaving - plus he's crazy if he didn't accept a Darvish-type deal from the Cubs.

New MLB rule on visits to the mound. I wish they'd use the between-pitch clock, too, as I don't see this rule having much of an impact on reducing game time lengths:
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22502471/mlb-imposes-rule-limiting-mound-visits-6-per-game-decides-pitch-clock

As a Red Sox fan, I am hoping that they do not sign JD Martinez for more than 5 years/110 million. I'd be happiest with not signing him at all.

Ditto!

All of this. I'm really excited about 2018. Barring injury we could see another run at the ring. 

JD for 5 years/$110 million. Opt out for him could cut that down considerably. Not a bad deal for the Red Sox; if he opts out after 2 years and $50 million, then he probably delivered the goods those first two years.

Better than Panda, who is still on the books for $37.2 million total over the 2018 and 2019 seasons and a $5 million buyout in 2020. Or HanRam, who will get over $22 million this year, or Price, who gets $30 million.

Must be nice to support a team that has a chance. As a Braves fan I'm just looking forward to the day when Liberty Media is no longer the team owner. 

You're referring to one of the most dominant teams in MLB from, like, 1990 to the mid 2000s, right? Didn't they win the East a few years ago, too?

You're referring to one of the most dominant teams in MLB from, like, 1990 to the mid 2000s, right? Didn't they win the East a few years ago, too?

Those were good times, but they occurred when Ted Turner owned the team. Liberty Media's more concerned with building new, unnecessary stadiums and using the team as a tax break. 

• 4 weeks later...

Watching the free agent bloodletting this Winter, I forsee labor unrest at the end of the next CBA. There's no real solution that will work, but the players are getting pissed off.

I hope MLB doesn't fall into the feared model at the advent of free agency where the big market teams buy up all the talent and the small market teams suffer...

(Although we kind of have that now to a certain ectent)

I think you are right about the coming labor unrest.

I have a really hard time thinking that a guy who is set to make $110 million over 5 years is a good candidate to protest the system (or even a guy who gets a two-year deal for $13 million, like Mitch Moreland). So teams are being more careful with the amount of $ they will spend and the number of years in the contract. Seems like a smart move by them.

The players can say that their careers are only so long - that in a few years, they will be out of baseball and thus need to make their money now. The average salary is $4 million. It will take me 40 years to make what the average major league ballplayer makes in a year. That is just about a lifetime of work for me. I think the system rewards them pretty well.

Maybe someone like Jake Arrieta is upset that he is only making $10.7 million this year. It is about 100 times what I make. I understand, he had a better year than I did last year, but dissatisfied with making millions of dollars a year? Really?

I love baseball, but good luck with that labor unrest, ballplayers.

With opening day a few days away, it is time for wild predictions here are mine.

AL East

Yankees

Boston

Tampa Bay

Toronto

Baltimore

AL Central 

Cleveland

Minnesota

Detroit

White Sox

KC

AL West

Astros

Angels

Seattle

Texas

Oakland

NL East

Washington 

Mets

Phillies

Atlanta 

Miami

NL Central

Cubs

Brewers

St. Louis

Reds

Pirates

NL West

Dogers

Colorado

Arizona

Giants

Padres

AL Wildcard

Twins over Boston

NL Wilcard

Colorado over Brewers

AL Division Series

Yankees over Twins in 4

Astros over Cleveland in 5

NL Division Series

Cubs over Colorado in 4

Washington over Dodgers in 4

AL Championship Series

Yankees over Astros in 7

NL Championship Series 

Cubs over Washington in 6

World Series

Cubs over Yankees in 7

With opening day a few days away, it is time for wild predictions here are mine.

AL East

Yankees

Boston

Tampa Bay

Toronto

Baltimore

AL Central 

Cleveland

Minnesota

Detroit

White Sox

KC