• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Man, people are sure upset about Baines getting into the HOF. I guess I can see their point - but I am happy for him. 

I remember in the early 80's trying to hit lefty, so I could hit like him -- never was really successful, but when I would connect it was usually a screaming line drive. 

Baines and Ricky Henderson were my favorite players growing up - complete opposite personalities. 

He was a season away from 3000 hits and 384 home runs . Those are HOF numbers in my book which is actually the book that means nothing to anyone when it comes to HOF voting. 

Man, people are sure upset about Baines getting into the HOF. I guess I can see their point - but I am happy for him. 

I remember in the early 80's trying to hit lefty, so I could hit like him -- never was really successful, but when I would connect it was usually a screaming line drive. 

Baines and Ricky Henderson were my favorite players growing up - complete opposite personalities. 

He was a season away from 3000 hits and 384 home runs . Those are HOF numbers in my book which is actually the book that means nothing to anyone when it comes to HOF voting. 

He falls pretty far below the average numbers for HoF inductees. Important to note, too, that the BBWAA did not vote him in, the Veteran's Committee did. Here's a good, straight-up article that breaks it down:

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2018/12/10/18135296/harold-baines-hall-of-fame-todays-game-era-committee

Yeah -- the way people ( like Lammy - I kid) are talking, the HOF is meaningless now because Baines got in. Kinda crazy. I always enjoyed watching Lee Smith pitch, too. 

I am sure Reinsdorf and La Russa did a lot of lobbying for Baines. 

I know this is hypothetical but one more season and he is at 3000 hits and 400 homers which is a first ballot lock. It think the problem is he had a somewhat boring career. Alan Trammell is in by the way with 500 less hits, less than half the homers and a lower average. 

Harold Baines was and still is a class act. To me, he was the heart and soul of the White Sox during his tenure there. Kudos to HB!

As a die-hard, long-suffering White Sox fan, I'm pleasantly surprised and happy as hell that Harold Baines is entering the HOF.  As NoJ posted, Baines is a class act all the way. 

Harold Baines was and still is a class act. To me, he was the heart and soul of the White Sox during his tenure there. Kudos to HB!

"Class Act" - reminds me of Dahl's sports machine -- one of his best bits and he came up with it in his 40th year....

• 1 month later...

I'm a little surprised that Mariano Rivera got into the HOF unanimously.  I assumed that at least one voter would either continue the stupid tradition that no one should be unanimous or decide that he wasn't worth because he was a relief pitcher.  

Whoever didn't vote for Greg Maddux doesn't deserve a vote. Now that the hall has opened its doors to more players (Santo, Baines, Halladay, Edgar Martinez, Mussina, et al., there has to be room for fellow Wilco fan Dale Murphy. 

Whoever didn't vote for Greg Maddux doesn't deserve a vote. Now that the hall has opened its doors to more players (Santo, Baines, Halladay, Edgar Martinez, Mussina, et al., there has to be room for fellow Wilco fan Dale Murphy. 

It is interesting to look at historic voting.  Cy Young only got 76% of the vote.  11 voters didn't vote for Babe Ruth.  23 didn't vote for Willie Mays.  20 didn't vote for Ted Williams.  Joe DiMaggio made it on his third try.  

congrats to edgar martinez on finally getting into the hall of fame. well deserved & long over due. season over now for the mariners, haha. its going to be a brutal year. they did manage to raise ticket prices again though, about 2 weeks before they gutted the team. we're top 5 in cost to go to game now. i thought it was traditional to like win before you gouged the fans. they've priced me out. i used to go to at least 1 game a homestand & 1 game a series before that. there is a row$12 (second cheapest) & were great. now with variable pricing they are at least $30 a game & go up to $40 for "premier" games. i'm disgusted with the ownership. they place the money making above winning. pure greed. so now we're going to get another year of "hey, remember that year we almost didn't suck". i've resigned myself to the fact that i'm not going to live to see the mariners make it to the world series.

I heard an interesting bit of trivia on the radio this morning that more people have walked on the moon (12) than scored an earned run off of Mariano Rivera in the post-season (11).

I'm stealing that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Regardless of what it yields the Reds have been very active this off season and have added a ton of potential value for what I consider to be a very little bit of money. I am super pumped for this season. Cincinnati is electric when the Reds are in contention  and I think baseball in general is better when the Reds are relevant. We've been stagnant for the last two decades. Don't get me wrong...we are in a brutal division and I am aware the experts still have us finishing last or second to last but the city is optimistic. 

Regardless of what it yields the Reds have been very active this off season and have added a ton of potential value for what I consider to be a very little bit of money. I am super pumped for this season. Cincinnati is electric when the Reds are in contention  and I think baseball in general is better when the Reds are relevant. We've been stagnant for the last two decades. Don't get me wrong...we are in a brutal division and I am aware the experts still have us finishing last or second to last but the city is optimistic. 

If you can't get optimistic about your team in February/March, then what's the point?  Good luck to the Reds.

• 2 weeks later...