Jeff Tweedy - 12 April 2018 - Corona Theatre, Montrel, QC

A really enjoyable evening at the Corona Theatre in Montreal last night...  Jeff/Wilco always seem to play really well in this great city, and if memory serves, this is the first time that either Jeff or Wilco has played this amazing old theatre across the street from Joe Beef which is one of the very best restaurants in Canada -- perhaps all of N. America?  Jeff spent the better part of the evening playing his 1931 Martin, which he reminded the crowd that he used on every recording since the Mermaid Avenue sessions.  He continued to tell the story of the "big bust" at the Canadian border.  A woman on the floor asked how they got released, and Jeff quipped that he told the border agents that he could play any Neil Young song with his hands tied (or in this case, cuffed) behind his back :-)  Another nice bit from the banter corner came when he asked the audience which Wilco record had not had any songs played from it to that point in the show (answer - Sky Blue Sky)  This, of course, turned into a free for all of requests coming from the audience.  The final request -- predictably, Free Bird -- was yelled out... Jeff stared him down with a smile and called for Security.  There were a few more moments of quality banter -- he discussed developing his own "persona" over the last thirty years of performing, and Wilco having no hit songs that needed to be played every night... I'll let others chime in here. One final observation -- Jeff's solo shows seem to be a good four or five songs shorter on this tour than usual... not a complaint (okay, a little bit of complaining), but 21/22 songs are not quite enough for these ears.

Looking forward to the Higher Ground show next Tuesday.  HG is celebrating its 20th Anniversary all month long so it should be a real good time... if you're going (and like very drinkable Session IPAs) grab one (or more, if you're not driving) of the just released Zero Gravity HG20.  Way yummy!

Here's the set list as played:

Via Chicago

Bombs Away

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

Ashes of American Flags

New Song - First Time Played (gorgeous song)

Hummingbird

Remember the Mountain Bed

New Madrid

Locator

Laminated Cat

Bull Black Nova

Passenger Side

Noah's Flood

Jesus Etc.

I'm the Man Who Loves You

-----------------------------------------------------------

Misunderstood

California Stars

Impossible Germany

Kamera

Shot in the Arm

A really enjoyable evening at the Corona Theatre in Montreal last night...  Jeff/Wilco always seem to play really well in this great city, and if memory serves, this is the first time that either Jeff or Wilco has played this amazing old theatre across the street from Joe Beef which is one of the very best restaurants in Canada -- perhaps all of N. America?  Jeff spent the better part of the evening playing his 1931 Martin, which he reminded the crowd that he used on every recording since the Mermaid Avenue sessions.  He continued to tell the story of the "big bust" at the Canadian border.  A woman on the floor asked how they got released, and Jeff quipped that he told the border agents that he could play any Neil Young song with his hands tied (or in this case, cuffed) behind his back :-)  Another nice bit from the banter corner came when he asked the audience which Wilco record had not had any songs played from it to that point in the show (answer - Sky Blue Sky)  This, of course, turned into a free for all of requests coming from the audience.  The final request -- predictably, Free Bird -- was yelled out... Jeff stared him down with a smile and called for Security.  There were a few more moments of quality banter -- he discussed developing his own "persona" over the last thirty years of performing, and Wilco having no hit songs that needed to be played every night... I'll let others chime in here. One final observation -- Jeff's solo shows seem to be a good four or five songs shorter on this tour than usual... not a complaint (okay, a little bit of complaining), but 21/22 songs are not quite enough for these ears.

Looking forward to the Higher Ground show next Tuesday.  HG is celebrating its 20th Anniversary all month long so it should be a real good time... if you're going (and like very drinkable Session IPAs) grab one (or more, if you're not driving) of the just released Zero Gravity HG20.  Way yummy!

Here's the set list as played:

Via Chicago

Bombs Away

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

Ashes of American Flags

New Song - First Time Played (gorgeous song)

Hummingbird

Remember the Mountain Bed

New Madrid

Locator

Laminated Cat

Bull Black Nova

Passenger Side

Noah's Flood

Jesus Etc.

I'm the Man Who Loves You

-----------------------------------------------------------

Misunderstood

California Stars

Impossible Germany

Kamera

Shot in the Arm

Excellent recap!  And another enthusiastic crowd. The GA crowd on the floor in Montreal at the Corona was totally into the show. 

The Corona Theatre in Montreal is nice.. Nice GA and balcony areas.

The fifth song, The Brand New Song:

Jeff declared that it was a new song and that he had just written it on the spot.  Although momentarily later claiming the same for Hummingbird. The new song had a frequent phrase or closing phrase 'Drawing by Memory'? ...

After Jeff dead-panned called for security after one really delayed Freebird squak. A fairly hapless security guard made his way through the 3 and 4 rows of GA a few minutes later before a fairly amused Jeff told him he was only kidding. Bless Quebec's intensity for Jeff's security...

Anyway, a most enjoyable quote from Jeff from my time in Canada..Montreal in particular: 'I feel like I'm high. Maybe I'm high?  It's probably that just I'm just happy'. ..