Hesitating Beauty

Late Greats

I’m the Man Who Loves You

————

Misunderstood

Impossible Germany

We’ve Been Had

Shot in the Arm

Have I lost my mind? I thought there was a new song after IATTBYH or New Madrid? Bombs Away?

At any rate, great set and lots of hilarious banter. And a couple really obnoxious crowd members who continually seemed to frustrate Jeff. 

Via Chicago

I am trying to break your heart

New Madrid

Hummingbird

Radio King

Locator

Ashes of American Flags

(New Song)

Passenger Side

Laminated Cat

Bull Black Nova

(New Song- “Let’s go Rain”)

Jesus

Hesitating Beauty

Late Greats

I’m the Man Who Loves You

————

Misunderstood

Impossible Germany

Dreamer in my Dreams

Shot in the Arm

Dreamer In My Dreams definitely wasn't played; it was We've Been Had. And d. boony is correct that there is a song missing after New Madrid, which was Bombs Above. ;)

Also, the new song that was played between Ashes and Passenger Side was one Jeff said didn't really have a title yet but Jeff said he is calling New Wave Theater. First time I've gotten to hear it — I believe it might have been just the second (or third) time he's played it — and a definite highlight of the show for me. I am currently in transit, so won't have a chance to add anything else until later today, but will try to do so if others haven't by then. Always a treat to be able to get to Burlington and see some old friends, if only for about 20 hours... :huh

Dreamer In My Dreams definitely wasn't played; it was We've Been Had. And d. boony is correct that there is a song missing after New Madrid, which was Bombs Above. ;)

Also, the new song that was played between Ashes and Passenger Side was one Jeff said didn't really have a title yet but Jeff said he is calling New Wave Theater. First time I've gotten to hear it — I believe it might have been just the second (or third) time he's played it — and a definite highlight of the show for me. I am currently in transit, so won't have a chance to add anything else until later today, but will try to do so if others haven't by then. Always a treat to be able to get to Burlington and see some old friends, if only for about 20 hours... :huh

Fixed! Thank you both. And I agree that “New Wave Theatre” was a highlight. Pretty intense lyrics. It’ll be interesting to see what happens with the new ones— it’s tough for me to imagine them as Wilco songs.

Anyway, had a nice time yesterday and even had Jeff ask me about my profession from the stage (I was so surprised he was talking to me that I asked “who, me?” three times before answering).

Burlington had the rowdies out in full effect. During Ohmme’s set I could hear them from my spot at the rail all the way towards the back near the side bar. Talking throughout the set and it was from the same direction that the spouting of dumb drunken yelp of “turn it up” came. To which Jeff shook his head and strummed his guitar and said, “ this is all there is, sir.” There were also some random nonsensical fanboy shouts of have “Golden Smog play Solid Sound” just as Jeff was stepping to the mic to start playing a song. The funniest banter from Jeff on the night was about how he had been carefully crafting his onstage persona for 30 years to become that of a pudgy middle aged man that refuses to get a haircut. I will say though that I think that Jeff crossed the line a bit from funny to being a dick with his questioning of an audience member about what he does for a living, to which the audience member stated he worked at the university, to which Jeff said that it was easier work, because no one knows what the previous employee in that position did and therefore the audience member doesn’t have to worry about comparison, whereas for Jeff he has to be compared to the likes of Bob Dylan. Don’t get me wrong, I love how masterfully Jeff makes quick work of the loudest drunks in the room on any given night. It is truly as much a piece of the performance as the music. However, while I think last night was another great show in the annals of solo Tweedy performances. It was also one where the uninitiated casual concert goer may have left feeling a little cold. As I exited I heard someone refuting Jeff’s argument saying that they were compared to the employee that they had replaced at work.

As for the music, I was really happy with the three new songs, Bomb’s Above, Noah’s Flood, and “New Wave Theater.” The remainder of the set provided a well balanced setlist of songs from Wilco, Uncle Tupelo and Loose Fur records that we’ve come to expect at Tweedy shows over the years. All in all another stellar performance to be listened to and scrutinized for years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burlington had the rowdies out in full effect. During Ohmme’s set I could hear them from my spot at the rail all the way towards the back near the side bar. Talking throughout the set and it was from the same direction that the spouting of dumb drunken yelp of “turn it up” came. To which Jeff shook his head and strummed his guitar and said, “ this is all there is, sir.” There were also some random nonsensical fanboy shouts of have “Golden Smog play Solid Sound” just as Jeff was stepping to the mic to start playing a song. The funniest banter from Jeff on the night was about how he had been carefully crafting his onstage persona for 30 years to become that of a pudgy middle aged man that refuses to get a haircut. I will say though that I think that Jeff crossed the line a bit from funny to being a dick with his questioning of an audience member about what he does for a living, to which the audience member stated he worked at the university, to which Jeff said that it was easier work, because no one knows what the previous employee in that position did and therefore the audience member doesn’t have to worry about comparison, whereas for Jeff he has to be compared to the likes of Bob Dylan. Don’t get me wrong, I love how masterfully Jeff makes quick work of the loudest drunks in the room on any given night. It is truly as much a piece of the performance as the music. However, while I think last night was another great show in the annals of solo Tweedy performances. It was also one where the uninitiated casual concert goer may have left feeling a little cold. As I exited I heard someone refuting Jeff’s argument saying that they were compared to the employee that they had replaced at work.

As for the music, I was really happy with the three new songs, Bomb’s Above, Noah’s Flood, and “New Wave Theater.” The remainder of the set provided a well balanced setlist of songs from Wilco, Uncle Tupelo and Loose Fur records that we’ve come to expect at Tweedy shows over the years. All in all another stellar performance to be listened to and scrutinized for years to come.

That's an interesting take. As the guy who Jeff questioned, I wasn't at all offended and didn't interpret the interaction the way that you did. The context was that some reviewer said that "Let's Go Rain" is a "throwaway" song. Jeff said something about how it's unfair that he's judged so critically at his job, and then he proceeded to ask me, a random guy, what I do for a living. I responded with some hesitation that I work in university administration. Jeff said that my work isn't judged the same that his is (that's true, of course), and that there's no Bob Dylan of University Administration that I'm constantly being compared to (that's also true, because I am the Bob Dylan of University Admin ;)). I didn't feel bullied, but maybe I was just a bit star struck... 

Interesting takes on the whole thing. His comments to the guy about his job struck me as a little "put-downish" but no biggie. Glad he didnt talk to me. 

As far as rowdiness- seemed less so than the last solo show he played at HG. Some unbearable drunk Saint Mike's students yelling song requests in the front. 

The band in the smaller lounge next door were too loud at the start so I agree a bit with the "turn it up" from the back. Sound wasn't great at the beginning.

New Wave Theatre was the highlight for me. Thought it was You're not Alone from the very similar opening chords

That's an interesting take. As the guy who Jeff questioned, I wasn't at all offended and didn't interpret the interaction the way that you did. The context was that some reviewer said that "Let's Go Rain" is a "throwaway" song. Jeff said something about how it's unfair that he's judged so critically at his job, and then he proceeded to ask me, a random guy, what I do for a living. I responded with some hesitation that I work in university administration. Jeff said that my work isn't judged the same that his is (that's true, of course), and that there's no Bob Dylan of University Administration that I'm constantly being compared to (that's also true, because I am the Bob Dylan of University Admin ;)). I didn't feel bullied, but maybe I was just a bit star struck...

I think my perception of that exchange between you and Jeff was colored more by the conversation I heard on my way out. I know that for some Jeff’s banter has rubbed them the wrong way. But my overall take is that it is and has always been part of his performance. Even though he has even admitted that maybe he should just stop talking. I just hope he keeps playing for years to come. I especially enjoy seeing him solo in small venues.

I was standing right next to Knotgreen, and I don’t think Jeff was being a dick at all. To the contrary, he seemed to be in a great mood all night, and even the few “rowdy” fans shut up pretty quickly. I thought it was a great crowd. Yes, there was a lot of talking in the back during Ohmme’s set, but they were pretty awful. I’m always against talking during any performance, but yikes. Maybe their studio output is better?

Edit: I don’t want to sound mean about Ohmme. They seemed like nice girls & their voices were fine, but their live performance needs work.

Interesting takes on the whole thing. His comments to the guy about his job struck me as a little "put-downish" but no biggie. Glad he didnt talk to me.

As far as rowdiness- seemed less so than the last solo show he played at HG. Some unbearable drunk Saint Mike's students yelling song requests in the front.

The band in the smaller lounge next door were too loud at the start so I agree a bit with the "turn it up" from the back. Sound wasn't great at the beginning.

New Wave Theatre was the highlight for me. Thought it was You're not Alone from the very similar opening chords

03/26/2009 was a great show too! An interesting night of banter and playing. Sherwin Moore Suicide Watch Series of Paint banter regarding the dismal weather, a perfect night for a Jeff Tweedy concert.

Very funny. And in true Bob Dylan (of University Administration) fashion, you clearly aren't as affected as the rest of us might be, or don't give a fuck about what someone might think of what you do, which only strengthens your Dylaness. 

Thanks for the review!

This is my favorite post on VC in a long while. Glad it was a great show and experience.

The show was well worth the trip to VT, despite the cold and sleet. Super setlist and Jeff sounded great. Plenty of my favorites in there, including Laminated Cat, The Late Greats, and Hesitating Beauty. I got really lost in it and enjoyed every minute, on the rail over to the right. Good crowd in general, with lots of singing along in the back half. Big fan of the new New Wave Theatre song. He understandably lost patience a bit with the dude yelling stuff out near the end and had to joke about trying to sustain a fake smile so he didn't seem like a jerk. Did that guy not have friends to tell him to shush? Great to see some of you loyal VCers once again (bböp, twoshedsjackson, knotgreen). Until next time (next weekend at the Vic!)