Least favorite WILCO song

Hey whatever works my curiosity question is there an album you enjoy listening straight through or do you just listen to a song here or there? Also what song, etc made you a fan?

I got into Wilco via Mermaid Avenue. I was bought a copy of Being There but couldn’t get into it. A while later I got Summerteeth and was obsessed with it for a while. Then saw the IITTBYH film and something about JTs character and humour struck a chord. His gift for melody is the key for me, plus the variety of styles, similar to my first love the Beatles (who I am also picky with some tracks). So there’s always enough on every album that I love, but always something that does not work for me. I don’t analyse my likes and dislikes, I just let them be instinctive. I don’t feel the need to be a sycophantic fan to still be a fan and no one can tell me what to like. Conversely I see no mileage in criticising what others like or dislike either. The artist can’t tell me how my brain works or expect me to like everything, and I can still respect them for their integrity and majority of their catalogue, and not feel the need to criticise the things that don’t click with me.

I don’t have a decent audio setup and rarely have time to sit down and listen to music per se, so hardly ever hear an album by anyone through beginning to end. Of the Wilco albums, that would happen most often for The Whole Love I think.If YHF had a couple of the Engineers Demos songs included it would be that one.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got into Wilco via Mermaid Avenue. I was bought a copy of Being There but couldn’t get into it. A while later I got Summerteeth and was obsessed with it for a while. Then saw the IITTBYH film and something about JTs character and humour struck a chord. His gift for melody is the key for me, plus the variety of styles, similar to my first love the Beatles (who I am also picky with some tracks). So there’s always enough on every album that I love, but always something that does not work for me. I don’t analyse my likes and dislikes, I just let them be instinctive. I don’t feel the need to be a sycophantic fan to still be a fan and no one can tell me what to like. Conversely I see no mileage in criticising what others like or dislike either. The artist can’t tell me how my brain works or expect me to like everything, and I can still respect them for their integrity and majority of their catalogue, and not feel the need to criticise the things that don’t click with me.

I don’t have a decent audio setup and rarely have time to sit down and listen to music per se, so hardly ever hear an album by anyone through beginning to end. Of the Wilco albums, that would happen most often for The Whole Love I think.If YHF had a couple of the Engineers Demos songs included it would be that one.

I respect that everyone listens differently. I had a hard time when Jay left Wilco but like and appreciate what they done and where they go. The good thing about Wilco there is a little bit of everything for someone to find to enjoy! Happy listening!

I respect the hell out of this statement, but what I relate to most with is about the Beatles. They not only wrote some really, really bad songs but they put them on studio albums. I consider the Beatles to be the “best” band ever imo, I also think they are simultaneously the most popular band ever and the most underrated. They changed it all, we’re probably not talking Wilco on Via Chicago without them. That being said they stuck some real garbage in between sequences of unprecedented genius.

You and I, because it's so boring. One Sunday Boring, because it's so boring. 

Heavy Metal Drummer, because i've heard it 6 billion times and while it's fun to sing "and stoned" in public, this song is just eating up a slot in the setlist that could've been occupied by a much better song. 

And man, y'all hate some great songs. Which I guess is good? Or confusing?

It's been a long time, but I remember some folks on here feeling persecuted for being critical of some period in the Wilco catalog.

Clearly this time has passed. It's nice that people feel comfortable having different opinions.

Although most people in this thread are demonstrably wrong.

There's some crazy things being said all over the internet but this thread might take the cake for some of the most insane comments!  :P

There's some crazy things being said all over the internet but this thread might take the cake for some of the most insane comments!  :P

Although most people in this thread are demonstrably wrong.

And man, y'all hate some great songs. Which I guess is good? Or confusing?

C'mon people, get this thing started!  Quote what you think are the insane comments!/who is wrong/great songs people hate so we can debate this shit!

C'mon people, get this thing started!  Quote what you think are the insane comments!/who is wrong/great songs people hate so we can debate this shit!

Last time I tried to be playfully "record store guy" smug and chide someone's negative opinion on here (circa 2013) they got really bummed out.....

But disliking anything on AGIB is mathematically proven to be a false notion.

But seriously 'love what you're gonna love' seemed to be expanded into 'hate what you want to hate' here, which I guess might appeal to Jeff Tweedy's cynical sensibilities. 

Just heard You Never Know for the first time in a year or so. That might be my least favorite.

Funny, its one of my favorites, a second cousin to one of my top 5 songs, Monday, with the pounding piano riff Jerry Lee Lewis style.  I like rock 'n' roll in the classic sense and Wilco does it as good as anyone.  I've always wished they'd do a bunch more songs in that Chuck Berry/Sun Studios/Chess Records vein, just simple rock 'n' roll, they are so freaking good at it.  I get the sense that they do it sheepishly, like they are slightly embarrassed by playing it.  Hasn't Jeff called it dumb rock?

That sounds like a Lester Bangs quote.  But what I'm talking about is Jeff referring disparagingly to a particular style of rock that they play just a few songs of each night.  I'd be thrilled with an entire Wilco concert of simple rock 'n' roll, which I would never call dumb.

That sounds like a Lester Bangs quote.  But what I'm talking about is Jeff referring disparagingly to a particular style of rock that they play just a few songs of each night.  I'd be thrilled with an entire Wilco concert of simple rock 'n' roll, which I would never call dumb.

But it would absolutely be good "dumb" fun!

1/2-2/3 of Schmilco

Outside of that? Hm, there really aren't many I skip. Maybe Dark Neon.