Ah this hits hard. One of my favorites on tv. Loved watching the exotic travel and his insights.

And it hurts harder still that it was a suicide. At only 61.

You never know what pain someone else is dealing with. Err on the side of compassion.

RIP, Anthony. Thanks.

Absolutely shocking and devastating!

I would binge watch his show late at night when I couldn’t sleep and he was so easy going and seemed to always say things that made me think we were kindred spirits of a sort. I could totally imagine myself traveling the world with him!

What a loss. I had no idea he had such demons inside his head. :(

I was reflecting on how open-minded I've become re: food and being willing to try "anything" over the past decade or two, compared to how I used to be very picky and skeptical of anything "weird."  In retrospect, I think I owe that almost entirely to Bourdain. 

His shows (I was a fan from the FoodTV/Cook's Tour series) really informed me of the importance of keeping an open mind about food.  How the stuff that sounds/looks the least appealing may actually be the tastiest bites.  How cultural differences were really just that -- local ingredients cooked properly/traditionally were every bit as delicious as the "high cuisine" we're familiar with.

So I'll toast Tony with some beef tongue, balut, silk worms, menudo, toasted crickets, durian, and Mexican street corn* in his memory.

* yes, the idea of putting mayo and cheese on corn on the cob was absolutely repulsive to me the first time I saw it.  I now obsess over it.

I was reflecting on how open-minded I've become re: food and being willing to try "anything" over the past decade or two, compared to how I used to be very picky and skeptical of anything "weird."  In retrospect, I think I owe that almost entirely to Bourdain. 

His shows (I was a fan from the FoodTV/Cook's Tour series) really informed me of the importance of keeping an open mind about food.  How the stuff that sounds/looks the least appealing may actually be the tastiest bites.  How cultural differences were really just that -- local ingredients cooked properly/traditionally were every bit as delicious as the "high cuisine" we're familiar with.

So I'll toast Tony with some beef tongue, balut, silk worms, menudo, toasted crickets, durian, and Mexican street corn* in his memory.

* yes, the idea of putting mayo and cheese on corn on the cob was absolutely repulsive to me the first time I saw it.  I now obsess over it.

Do you really eat Balut??

Not part of my usual diet, but I worked with a guy from Laos who brought some in for us.  I was one of the few who would try it.  Tastes like chicken (seriously).

oy. I don't think I could do it. 

I've read that eating balut was one of the filtering steps for contestants who wanted to be on Fear Factor. 

oy. I don't think I could do it. 

I've read that eating balut was one of the filtering steps for contestants who wanted to be on Fear Factor. 

If you get a young one then it's not too bad.  That was what I had.  The older ones have more developed feathers, beak, etc. which makes it significantly more challenging.