Nice collection Tim!! I'm always jealous of collectors who were still buying in the 90s and early 00s, lots of records pressed in those days that are now rare as heck, not to mention I'm sure thrift stores were getting rid of 60s/70s/80s albums for pennies. I got my first few records in 2002/3 (Nirvana, The Strokes, and Weezer were my first three) and got a few more (I think mainly Jason Molina's solo albums, as they were only on vinyl) in my college years (2006ish). A few more came after that (I think I got Wilco The Album when it came out on vinyl, I remember spontaneously buying Sea Change in 2009, which later, at one point, was my most valuable record) but I didn't get serious about collecting till I became a home owner, with space to display records, in 2013. So needless to say, your collection dwarfs mine, but I'm sitting at around 600 LPs and 80ish 7" records, which is averaging well over 100 records a year. 

I'd love to see more VC'ers collections, I'm sure there's some big/great collections. 

What a beautiful room, and a beautiful collection! Hope you have some comfy seating at the end of the room we can’t see?

yeah there are two IKEA chairs and a footrest that I cleared out for the photos. some people were freaking out on instagram about having the records right next to the fireplace. first off,i barely use it, and secondly, when there's a fire, the edge of the shelving unit is not affected by any rise in temperature. there is way too much in the way of it to be a concern. 

did anyone notice the small Wilco framed show poster over the stereo, in the corner? ;)

TCP, i definitely did swerve hard into CD purchases in the 90s but there were still some artists that I continued to buy in vinyl format. 

• 4 months later...

Anybody care to share which websites are best for buying used records.

I know of discogs --- but it seems many of the sellers are in Europe - which is fine, but I don't really don't want to deal with higher shipping costs all the time. Thx. 

I know of discogs --- but it seems many of the sellers are in Europe - which is fine, but I don't really don't want to deal with higher shipping costs all the time. Thx. 

As a non-American and non-European, Discogs seems to be more US focused than any where else, in my experience. If you're looking at a US pressing of a record you should see mostly US sellers.

I would trust a seller on Discogs much more than eBay. Discogs has a pretty good reputation system so (unless they're new) you'll know if someone is grading their records correctly, selling the correct pressing, and packing their albums properly. An eBay seller might be selling lots of non-record things, so they have a good rating, but they're not be experienced with records. eBay is also notorious for counterfeits and bootleg merch, not sure how much that carries over into the record scene, but Discogs generally has tighter control over that.

I prefer Reverb LP to Discogs by far.  It's much more of a visual experience, and more similar to looking through crates of records.

Discogs is better if you'r looking for a specific pressing of a record and you know the catalog number.  But all in all, I find Discogs to be a miserable website to use.

Nice collection Tim!! I'm always jealous of collectors who were still buying in the 90s and early 00s, lots of records pressed in those days that are now rare as heck, not to mention I'm sure thrift stores were getting rid of 60s/70s/80s albums for pennies. I got my first few records in 2002/3 (Nirvana, The Strokes, and Weezer were my first three) and got a few more (I think mainly Jason Molina's solo albums, as they were only on vinyl) in my college years (2006ish). A few more came after that (I think I got Wilco The Album when it came out on vinyl, I remember spontaneously buying Sea Change in 2009, which later, at one point, was my most valuable record) but I didn't get serious about collecting till I became a home owner, with space to display records, in 2013. So needless to say, your collection dwarfs mine, but I'm sitting at around 600 LPs and 80ish 7" records, which is averaging well over 100 records a year. 

I'd love to see more VC'ers collections, I'm sure there's some big/great collections. 

Those really were the glory days for record buying.  I grew up in the '80s, listening mostly to 45s and cassettes.  It wasn't until around '89 or '90 that I really got into buying LPs, and that lasted through the entire '90s (and continues, but I don't go on buying rampages anymore.)  You could find just about anything used and near mint for $5 or less (with some exceptions...Zappa was always $10 and up, for example).   A lot of labels were still pressing new releases then.  You could still get every Pavement album, for example, new for $9 until the end of the '90s.  My best buy back then was Phish Lawn Boy, which I found new for $9.  I sold it a few years ago for $400, even with a big scratch from when I dropped it back in the day.

Just went to the Reverb site and noticed that I can buy records form The Official Jay Farrar Of Son Volt Reverb LP Shop  ---- I read that he was unloaded some instruments/recording equipment, but didn't hear about records.

Those really were the glory days for record buying.  I grew up in the '80s, listening mostly to 45s.  It wasn't until around '89 or '90 that I really got into buying LPs, and that lasted through the entire '90s.  You could find just about anything used and near mint for $5 or less (with some exceptions...Zappa was always $10 and up, for example).   A lot of labels were still pressing new releases then.  You could still get every Pavement album, for example, new for $9 until the end of the '90s.  My best buy back then was Phish Lawn Boy, which I found new for $9.  I sold it a few years ago for $400, even with a big scratch from when I dropped it back in the day.

Yeah, it is bit depressing how much records are going for now-a-days - esp. new ones.

$400 for Lawn Boy made for a great return for you!

I bought many of mine at flea markets in the 80's. It was always a tough decision for me if I was gonna spend my money on baseball cards or records.

Happy to say, after bringing them all from my p's house to my house recently - they all still play well, so far. 

$400 for Lawn Boy made for a great return for you!

I remember finding out what that was sells for in the morning one day at work.  I couldn't remember if I still had it or if I had traded it in long ago.  It was torture waiting for the end of the day to see if I still had it.  I've never bought anything with the intention of flipping for profit, but I'm not passing up $400.  That was right before it got reissued, which probably didn't hurt the value of the original, but probably eliminated some potential buyers.  That thing sold within an hour of listing it. 

Never really thought of Ebay - must admit I never purchased anything from there. 

I've been on there since it started. Probably one of the first things I got was the album: Soundtrack Recordings from the film Jimi Hendrix. Or the Flying Burrito Brothers cd I got all the way from Holland. 

Used records can still be found at decent prices. An estate sale I was at last Friday was liquidating a DJs collection who started spinning in the late 70s. I picked up 4 records (The Fixx and The Cars debuts, Townsend's Empty Glass and Supertramps Breakfast) in great shape for 10 bucks.

i haven't bought a record via ebay in years, though the automated alerts were handy at times... discogs is the way to go, imo.

I have not looked at that place in a while. Although - oddly enough - I just got an alert about the Roger Daltrey cd I want. 

Dusty Grooves is another site that sells used vinyl. I’ve never bought used vinyl over the internet, feel like I need to see it and hold it first. I live in the Boston area and there’s a Newbury Comics close by in Norwood that has a large used vinyl area. I hunt there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dusty Grooves is another site that sells used vinyl. I’ve never bought used vinyl over the internet, feel like I need to see it and hold it first. I live in the Boston area and there’s a Newbury Comics close by in Norwood that has a large used vinyl area. I hunt there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

depending on what you are looking for, there is a strong possibility you might never actually see a physical copy.