So far I have just been hitting record stores -- my old neighbor hood has one - it was within walking distance, now it's about 1/2 hour drive without traffic. Been hitting the Reckless that is downtown (Chicago), too.

Still have never hit Dusty Groove in Chicago - though I have friends who have been going there for many years and they always have great things to say about it.

So far I with worldrecordplayer - I need to look and browse through records, esp used ones. 

Was happy when I bought a used copy of 1st Iron Maiden record this weekend and checked it out when I got it home, it was $6 cheaper then it was on Discogs. It plays great, too.

I just bought my first used record via the web, this morning. Will see how it goes when I get it. I actually bought it from the Hoffman vinyl selling thread. 

I prefer Reverb LP to Discogs by far.  It's much more of a visual experience, and more similar to looking through crates of records.

Discogs is better if you'r looking for a specific pressing of a record and you know the catalog number.  But all in all, I find Discogs to be a miserable website to use.

Just found out that you can bid on records on Reverb - kinda fun. I am with you on it being better than Discogs - esp browsing the site. 

depending on what you are looking for, there is a strong possibility you might never actually see a physical copy.

This is my situation.  I guess at this point I have most of what I want that's old.  I mostly buy new releases now.  Sometimes I buy used stuff in stores, but I can't remember the last time I went in looking for a specific used record and actually found it.  The early '90s were sort of the glory days for that.  That's partially because I didn't have nearly as many records at that point, so I had a longer want list, making for far better odds, but also back then just about any record store would have had used copies of just about every Zeppelin, Floyd, Hendrix, Neil Young, King Crimson, Beatles, etc. record.  Nowadays all that stuff flies out the door the minute it hits the new arrivals bin, and if you want it you have to either have perfect timing or go online.  Or maybe give your want list to a store, but that's even less fun that going online.

I consider myself a completist for all the bands I like. A few bands I really enjoy I am missing albums for. I had opportunities to buy most of these albums at what I thought was high prices years ago now some of them are through the stratosphere! Best example is I like the Cure. I have all of their albums except Bloodflowers on vinyl. I got out bid at $110 about 5 years ago. The album now usually goes for $300!! Their other albums wish probably spent $75 and wild mood swings also about $75 seem to keep going up too. It is frustrating but also keeps me searching for the diamonds in the rough. I’m glad I started buying records heavily about 10 years ago before the huge upswing in prices. Many albums I paid between $1-5 for now go for $20-25.

in the early 90s i saw a set sale for this record in Goldmine, for $100. which was a lot of money in those days and i passed. I've never seen another copy come up for sale, and i doubt i ever will. i did get a copy of the bootleg that came out a few years ago.

https://www.discogs.com/Jim-Shepard-Slit-and-Pre-Slit/release/7397745 

I lost most of my records in a Christmas Day flood some 15 years ago.

This is the one I probably miss the most:
R-697572-1148933292.jpeg.jpg

• 11 months later...

I prefer Reverb LP to Discogs by far.  It's much more of a visual experience, and more similar to looking through crates of records.

Discogs is better if you'r looking for a specific pressing of a record and you know the catalog number.  But all in all, I find Discogs to be a miserable website to use.

I have been using Reverb LP mostly since I bought a record player a year ago or so. Today I noticed this announcement on their site. Bit bummed. I agree that it is great site to peruse records. Never had any issues when I bought records through the site, either.

A Message From Reverb LP
  • Reverb LP
  • January 20, 2020

To the Reverb LP community:

On February 28, we will be sunsetting Reverb LP. The decision to close Reverb’s record marketplace is a difficult one, but it will allow us to fully focus on what we do best: Helping music makers of all levels and sellers of all sizes around the world buy and sell musical instruments.

I have been using Reverb LP mostly since I bought a record player a year ago or so. Today I noticed this announcement on their site. Bit bummed. I agree that it is great site to peruse records. Never had any issues when I bought records through the site, either.

I saw that, too.  I've been weeding out records from my collection over the last year with the intention of selling them on Reverb.  I've been putting it off because it's a lot of work cleaning, grading, pricing, listing, then packing and shipping once they sell, and dealing with returns/lost packages/crazy people.  All that work for a slow trickle of $10 or $20 at a time.

Now that Reverb is out of the game I'll probably sell them all as a lot and be done with it.