Impossible Germany

So just discovered Magnolia Electric Co. (Jason Molina).  He sounds like Neil Young and I heard "Almost Wasn't Good Enough" and then checking out entire Disc. 

Song Ring the Bell has the same guitar work as Impossible Germany...pretty awesome.

I'm a big Molina fan, in fact he's up there with Jeff as one of my favourite songwriters (Jason also live in Chicago for a long while and befriended Steve Albini, I wonder if JT and JM crossed paths??). I don't hear the similarity between Ring The Bell and Impossible Germany but it's possible I'm missing something obvious.

Jason has a great catalog. Didn't It Rain and the selftitled Magnolia Electric Co get a lot of attention but my unsolicited advice is to not overlook The Lioness, The Black Ram, Nashville Moon, Let Me Go Let Me Go Let Me Go, honestly everything is great, but I'm partial to everything 2000 and beyond. Also, if that wasn't enough, Jason had a habit of releasing great singles, check out the Journey On boxset (it's on Spotify), The Gray Tower, Journey On, Soul, are among some of his best songs.

I'm a big Molina fan, in fact he's up there with Jeff as one of my favourite songwriters (Jason also live in Chicago for a long while and befriended Steve Albini, I wonder if JT and JM crossed paths??). I don't hear the similarity between Ring The Bell and Impossible Germany but it's possible I'm missing something obvious.

Jason has a great catalog. Didn't It Rain and the selftitled Magnolia Electric Co get a lot of attention but my unsolicited advice is to not overlook The Lioness, The Black Ram, Nashville Moon, Let Me Go Let Me Go Let Me Go, honestly everything is great, but I'm partial to everything 2000 and beyond. Also, if that wasn't enough, Jason had a habit of releasing great singles, check out the Journey On boxset (it's on Spotify), The Gray Tower, Journey On, Soul, are among some of his best songs.

he also had a bit of an additional Neil Young streak in that he would revisit/re-record songs occasionally, or put them out via live recordings a la Time Fades Away (ie, check Trials and Errors). 

his career and how it ended is so heartbreaking. 

he also had a bit of an additional Neil Young streak in that he would revisit/re-record songs occasionally, or put them out via live recordings a la Time Fades Away (ie, check Trials and Errors). 

The book on him is pretty good. It's rough cause it's just exciting insight to  his artistic growth, making-of album intrigue, slowly rising star stuff and then it goes to shit and gets really depressing. Pretty much the arc of his life.

Yeah, Mi Sei Apparso Come Un Fantasma is mostly songs that are only on that live album, it feels very Time Fades Away, also because it's some of his strongest material. 

Also, while on the topic of Jason, an expanded version of The Lioness just got announced for today.

Jason is one of my all-time favorites.

Agreed with TCP above that S:O's Magnolia Electric Co. and Didn't It Rain are the two I play most often, but I also really love Pyramid Electric Co. too. The Lioness is another gem (Lioness & Coxcomb Red are among my favorite songs).

One of my biggest regrets was not seeing him live. I had tix to see a show in Cambridge, MA and couldn't find anyone to go with me and so I just skipped it. Never had another chance. 

One of my biggest regrets was not seeing him live. I had tix to see a show in Cambridge, MA and couldn't find anyone to go with me and so I just skipped it. Never had another chance. 

I saw him in the Magnolia era with the full band. I think it was What Comes After the Blues tour. I heard they could be a coin toss cause sometimes he'd be so tanked it was a shit show. They were definitely tight and on it that night. I talked to Jason for a couple minutes, he was very amiable, and their bass player was down to talk for half an hour- super outgoing guy.