Jeff Tweedy on WTF with Marc Maron

This might sneak by all but the most devoted listeners to Maron's podcast, but I tune in regularly. He was talking new music in his intro segment to his talk with Kurt Vile on today's podcast and mentioned he had to go back through the whole Wilco catalog this week for research/preparation- "Not gonna say anymore than that, but you get it," kind of thing.

If you're familiar with Maron's podcast this is a great opportunity for Wilco/Jeff Tweedy fans. Marc has relaxed conversations with people and doesn't pepper them with pre-written questions. He's such a skilled interviewer he typically gets something real, intimate, and special in the hour-plus he chats with someone.

I'd figure they'll post this next month either right before WARM, or right before the memoir comes out.

I've been tweeting at Marc for years asking him to interview Jeff and/or Ryan Adams. Maron can grate on me on occasion, but when he's invested in someone, he's an excellent interviewer. He's at his best when he deviates from standard interview questions, which I think is pretty often. Keeping my fingers crossed that this happens!

Wow, this would be a dream. I honestly think I would rather listen to Marc Maron interviewing Jeff than even Terri Gross. He can be an amazing interviewer and I have also tweeted at him to do a segment with Jeff.

Did you all realize he was actually at a Jeff living room show a couple of years back? It was the one that went for a fortune and Scott what’s his name from Earwolf was also there.

Wow, this would be a dream. I honestly think I would rather listen to Marc Maron interviewing Jeff than even Terri Gross. He can be an amazing interviewer and I have also tweeted at him to do a segment with Jeff.

Did you all realize he was actually at a Jeff living room show a couple of years back? It was the one that went for a fortune and Scott what’s his name from Earwolf was also there.

Jeff Ullrich bought that one I think. Marc was in attendance, as was Scott Aukerman (https://www.instagram.com/p/BCmcyEuGZ5q/) and a few others.

Maron talked about going to a LRS a year or two ago. I used to listen to him only when the guest interested me. I soon figured out each interview was interesting. I get why he may be grating sometimes, but I have come to look forward to the 3 or so hours I get to spend with him each week.

Jeff Ullrich bought that one I think. Marc was in attendance, as was Scott Aukerman (https://www.instagram.com/p/BCmcyEuGZ5q/) and a few others.

rperzzGhost Bornerman?

That made me chuckle -- (perhaps I spend too much time on grade school playgrounds, while I pick up kids up from school....)

One of these days I am going to venture in the world of podcasts. I think I listened to some of Moran's interview with Keith Richards.

I caught this in the WTF intro too and it's exciting news. I've also tweeted at Marc to get Tweedy on there. As a big fan of both guys, I would just caution about getting your hopes up too high. I've found, personally, that the interviews of his that I connect with the most are the ones with guests that I know very little about. The guests that I know quite a bit about have left me a little underwhelmed just because he can sometimes skim through the biography which is interesting if you don't have the knowledge already, but less so if you've say, read a book or two about the subject. I could be wrong. I would guess he'll likely hit the substance abuse topic, as he likes to go there and has a shared history...I would be surprised though if he was able to delve too deep into Uncle Tupelo break-up, etc. as Marc doesn't typically push guests on controversial topics or areas where they are clearly uncomfortable.

His interview with Lucinda was a personal favorite.

I caught this in the WTF intro too and it's exciting news. I've also tweeted at Marc to get Tweedy on there. As a big fan of both guys, I would just caution about getting your hopes up too high. I've found, personally, that the interviews of his that I connect with the most are the ones with guests that I know very little about. The guests that I know quite a bit about have left me a little underwhelmed just because he can sometimes skim through the biography which is interesting if you don't have the knowledge already, but less so if you've say, read a book or two about the subject. I could be wrong. I would guess he'll likely hit the substance abuse topic, as he likes to go there and has a shared history...I would be surprised though if he was able to delve too deep into Uncle Tupelo break-up, etc. as Marc doesn't typically push guests on controversial topics or areas where they are clearly uncomfortable.

His interview with Lucinda was a personal favorite.

I agree with all of this, but I think with a little luck Maron will get more of my favorite Tweedy interview moments. Those are usually where he expresses something about psychology, creativity, growing older, making things in a new and memorable way.

As a recovery guy I can imagine Marc might go into Jeff's recovery process, or what maintaining his sobriety/mental health is like for him because they've had some similar experiences.

As a recovery guy I can imagine Marc might go into Jeff's recovery process, or what maintaining his sobriety/mental health is like for him because they've had some similar experiences.

Exactly my thoughts as well. The best part of his interviews are when he talks about recovery with his guests. So useful and inspiring.

• 1 month later...

My morning commute only got me into the very beginning.

Fascinating facts:

The Tweedy family, including Jeff is all vegan at (was it Spencer or Sammy's?) insistence.

Jeff considers himself a polyphasic sleeper.

Sometimes talking about life stuff with a great creative mind is just as interesting as their creative stuff.

I liked the Jim O'Rourke portion of the pod too. Feel like I learned something about the process there. Likely not what he was going for, but it came across as if Jeff thinks, because of the movie, Jay gets too much credit for YHF...

Likely not what he was going for, but it came across as if Jeff thinks, because of the movie, Jay gets too much credit for YHF...

I can see how it could have been interpreted that way, but that’s not how I heard it at all. I think he was just stating that what actually ended up on the record was very much due to Jim O’Rourke, while his influence is barely recognized in the movie.

I did think it was a good interview but that it could have been much better if Marc had not spent so much time on Jay Farrar and Uncle Tupelo. It felt pretty rushed toward the end.

I can see how it could have been interpreted that way, but that’s not how I heard it at all. I think he was just stating that what actually ended up on the record was very much due to Jim O’Rourke, while his influence is barely recognized in the movie.

I did think it was a good interview but that it could have been much better if Marc had not spent so much time on Jay Farrar and Uncle Tupelo. It felt pretty rushed toward the end.

Didn’t he write something similar to that in his book?

Also if he didn't throw away some potentially great Willie Nelson stories by saying "Oh, I was just wondering if we ate at the same BBQ restaurant near there."

Sort of a funny throwaway line, but we didn't get to hear anything about Willie or his studio.

I'm not really an Uncle Tupelo fan or Jay or Son Volt, but I thought the aspects of the relationship Marc explored were cool. 

Also, good to know that Jeff and Jay talk, email and that the 'parents aren't likely to get back together' - I don't know, seems like a Coachella performance is in the cards to me.

I listen to Maron's podcasts frequently (he gets interesting musical guests), but I always feel like he doesn't do his homework for his interviews. Maron's podcast with Jeff was no different.

I listen to Maron's podcasts frequently (he gets interesting musical guests), but I always feel like he doesn't do his homework for his interviews. Maron's podcast with Jeff was no different.

Maron has talked about this a lot. This is usually intentional. I think he believes doing his research might lead to an interview following the same narrative as every other interview that person had done. One could argue that Maron's interviews all follow their own similar narrative, but -- to me at least -- it's one that's unique in the celebrity interview world and almost always refreshing and insightful. I started paying attention about 4 years ago, only listening when it was someone I knew and cared about. Now I listen to them all and rarely regret it.

Maron has talked about this a lot. This is usually intentional. I think he believes doing his research might lead to an interview following the same narrative as every other interview that person had done. One could argue that Maron's interviews all follow their own similar narrative, but -- to me at least -- it's one that's unique in the celebrity interview world and almost always refreshing and insightful. I started paying attention about 4 years ago, only listening when it was someone I knew and cared about. Now I listen to them all and rarely regret it.

That's a valid observation.  I guess Maron as armchair therapist/pop psychologist -- every episode -- kind of wears me out.  But I still listen regularly.  

Yeah, I'm most of the way done listening, he could have researched interview material to avoid cause it's been done, but I don't know if that works-

Highlights: Great improvised, witty banter between Jeff and Marc. Atypical interview topics: diet, sleep habits, what freaks them out about life.

Lowlights: Retreading things that were prominent in the book.

Even some of the repeated stuff was still fun to hear, if only because Marc has a way of getting out of the interview paradigm and turning it into two smart people talking about their experience.

Oh, and one last thing about this I only caught in the last 10 minutes or so:

I love the story about the family's rabbi. First telling Spencer that it's okay if he doesn't believe in god, it's the search that matters, and then the rabbi's later deciding there was no god and rewriting his theology in his 90's. Pretty amazing. Also Jeff saying he wanted to be a jew so there was no question when the shit hit the fan.