Also, people should still look at the 2016 election, because I fear past mistakes will haunt the Democrats again in 2020.

They should also look at the Kerry campaign. I'm with you, anyone-but-Trump. But the DNC needs to keep things fair, and primary voters need to recognize the dead center politics haven't brought in the votes.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, one specific incident that I remember was when she went on a local hip-hop station and said something along the lines of I always keep hot sauce on me, which I remember at the time seemed like pandering to the African-American community, and I know that turned off some people. I was never a fan of hers but I still voted for her because defeating the GOP is the #1 priority in my book.

If Biden ends up being the nominee I’ll hold my nose and vote for him as well. But it will be a colossal mistake if he picks a centrist as a running mate. Also, people should still look at the 2016 election, because I fear past mistakes will haunt the Democrats again in 2020.

I'd be interested in seeing the full context of this hot sauce conversation.   I live in the south side of Atlanta, 78% AA population, and I've never known hot sauce to be a thing that's specifically associated with food black people eat.    

Mike Watt has a holster on his belt that he uses to carry hot sauce everywhere he goes.  I doubt he does that to pander to the African-American community.  

I'd be interested in seeing the full context of this hot sauce conversation. I live in the south side of Atlanta, 78% AA population, and I've never known hot sauce to be a thing that's specifically associated with food black people eat.

Mike Watt has a holster on his belt that he uses to carry hot sauce everywhere he goes. I doubt he does that to pander to the African-American community.

When this happened, many of my work colleagues on the south side of Chicago’s eyes were rolling and calling bullshit.

I think the main reason, and I should have expressed this more clearly before, is the sheer amount of flip flops on issues like gay marriage, criminal justice, trade, the Keystone Pipeline and supporting the Iraq War. When she changed positions on those things, it seemed more like she just wanted to say what people wanted to hear.

I see Joe Biden with the same issues. He is going out there saying he marched in the Civil Rights Movement when it is clearly a lie. The Crime Bill is an issue. The Iraq War vote is an issue. His creepiness with women is an issue. The Hyde Amendment. I see this as massive causes of concern about his authenticity as well. And I am saying this as a person who will vote for him if he is the Democratic nominee. I just hope that he isn’t to avoid another 2016 mistake.

When this happened, many of my work colleagues on the south side of Chicago’s eyes were rolling and calling bullshit.

I think the main reason, and I should have expressed this more clearly before, is the sheer amount of flip flops on issues like gay marriage, criminal justice, trade, the Keystone Pipeline and supporting the Iraq War. When she changed positions on those things, it seemed more like she just wanted to say what people wanted to hear.

I see Joe Biden with the same issues. He is going out there saying he marched in the Civil Rights Movement when it is clearly a lie. The Crime Bill is an issue. The Iraq War vote is an issue. His creepiness with women is an issue. The Hyde Amendment. I see this as massive causes of concern about his authenticity as well. And I am saying this as a person who will vote for him if he is the Democratic nominee. I just hope that he isn’t to avoid another 2016 mistake.

This post kind of leads straight back to my original point.  With Hillary vs Bernie, and continuing after Bernie's run was over, the emphasis coming from progressives stayed exclusively on the problems with Hillary (often using the exact same talking points as the GOP), and there was not a peep about the ways she would have been better than Trump, which were myriad. 

I see that happening again on a large scale.  Democrats and progressives both have mistakes they should learn from.  I think democrats are showing that they have learned from them, based on the platforms of most of the candidates, including Biden.  But I see a lot of progressives playing the same all or nothing game as last time.

I agree that if BIden gets the nomination he should not pick a centrist candidate.  Biden would be a one-term president just due to age, so he needs someone younger so we can strengthen the bench and appeal to younger voters now and going forward, so definitely not Bernie.  Not a white male.  Maybe Warren, but is she aging out for another run in four years?  Will this country have an appetite for anyone over 70 four years from now?

I think my concern is that Biden will get the nomination because: "it his turn" or something similar. Everytime some (either party) gets the nomination because it's their turn they loose. Hilary, Romney, McCain, Kerry, Gore, Dole, even Mondale. Need some new blood I am generally libertarian, but the recent Republican party is full of crazy people. I would vote for Harris at this point as the best to win with a VP candidate who actually matter not Tim "who?" Kaine.

• 4 weeks later...

So was Bolton fired or did he quit? What a shit-show ...

Shortly after the election in 2016 I was talking to co-worker.  He said, "It won't be that bad.  Trump is known for hiring good people.  So there will be good people around him to help him make decisions."  Every time someone is fired or does something extremely stupid in the Trump administration I remind him of this.  

Shortly after the election in 2016 I was talking to co-worker.  He said, "It won't be that bad.  Trump is known for hiring good people.  So there will be good people around him to help him make decisions."  Every time someone is fired or does something extremely stupid in the Trump administration I remind him of this.  

Goddamn, how do you manage to find time to work in between all those conversations!? 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest isabelz11

I think it's been always like that. And besides all these restrictions and unnecessary actions by his administration, they have provided new asylum restrictions recently, that would take effect, cause it's a Supreme Court’s order (from here: https://chicagomorningstar.com/new-asylum-restrictions-by-the-trump-administration-will-take-effect-supreme-courts-order). Why would he and his administration do that?

I think it's been always like that. And besides all these restrictions and unnecessary actions by his administration, they have provided new asylum restrictions recently, that would take effect, cause it's a Supreme Court’s order (from here: https://chicagomorningstar.com/new-asylum-restrictions-by-the-trump-administration-will-take-effect-supreme-courts-order). Why would he and his administration do that?

Everything he does is out of spite!

This is shaping up to be a huge political week.

Uh, yeah. Impeachment? Doesn't even feel real.

I wonder what Trump's calculation as he's preparing to release the transcript of the call with Ukraine. Maybe it's another example of brazenly owning things ('I grab them by the pussy') in order to normalize it and take the wind out of it.

Uh, yeah. Impeachment? Doesn't even feel real.

I wonder what Trump's calculation as he's preparing to release the transcript of the call with Ukraine. Maybe it's another example of brazenly owning things ('I grab them by the pussy') in order to normalize it and take the wind out of it.

The transcript could easily be edited (or even be from a different call) so I don’t think that will tell us much. But the complaint itself (which is supposedly also going to be released tomorrow) should give us a better picture of what Trump did that caused the whistleblower to be concerned.

If it’s what people are alleging (using the power of the office to bully a foreign country into digging up dirt on a political opponent) it’s clearly legit grounds for impeachment. I just hope Pelosi didn’t jump the gun here, because if it’s anything short of that - it’ll hurt more than help.

I just hope Pelosi didn’t jump the gun here, because if it’s anything short of that - it’ll hurt more than help.

She's been pretty frosty, I think if she's game there's something going on. Nancy took months of the squad and their ilk calling her out for being cautious.

I have become compelled by the argument that if there's something worth impeaching over that congress owes it to the sanctity of the office to do it, even if it's politically inadvisable in the short term.

I think we're about to get played.

Yesterday felt good.  That's how all cons start.  Give your adversary a false sense of confidence, and then knock them down.

It's suspicious that the Senate voted unanimously to release the whistleblower complaint.   That is out of character for them.  They know something.

The transcript and complaint will be falsified or redacted, and the whislteblower won't end up testifying for any number of reasons, which leaves the democrats with nothing.  Or perhaps the whistleblower was part of the con to begin with.   But while the democrats end up with nothing, the republicans get to ramp up an investigation into BIden and his son.

In the end, this con discredits all of the non-Fox/Brietbart media and the democrats.

I think Trump won reelection yesterday.

It's worth doing the impeachment if only to get the votes for or against impeachment on record, so that 3 years from now Republicans can't distance themselves from Trump, because we'll have receipts. 

And trust me, when this Trump era is over, you'll have plenty of people disavowing their support of Trump, just like you have politicians rearranging their opinion on the Iraq invasion. 

It's worth doing the impeachment if only to get the votes for or against impeachment on record, so that 3 years from now Republicans can't distance themselves from Trump, because we'll have receipts.

And Trust me, when this Trump era is over, you'll have plenty of people disavowing their support of Trump, just like you have politicians rearranging their opinion on the Iraq invasion.

100%