When will Wilco US tour dates be announced?

Based on what Jeff’s said they’re going to be touring this summer after solid sound, what do you think they’re waiting for to announce? I’m really trying to hold off my family on planning stuff so I can schedule around Wilco tour! Seems like bands are announcing earlier and earlier these days so I was hoping we’d have heard something by now!

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is they possibly haven’t finished plotting the tour, and are still confirming venues and/or dates. It takes a long time to plan and book a tour before you make announcements.

You're right, and I'd think this is especially true now that they are no longer managed by Tony.  Whoever their new management is is going to do things a little differently, isn't going to have the same relationships with venues, promoters, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Any guess on average ticket price for the upcoming Wilco US tour? Seems like Jeff is charging about the same as Wilco was on their last tour for his solo shows (which are in smaller venues). Does that mean we are close to $80/$90 for tickets this tour?

I'm hoping to score tickets for the Beck/Cage/Spoon tour and was surprised by the $120 cost for many of the seats...

Any guess on average ticket price for the upcoming Wilco US tour? Seems like Jeff is charging about the same as Wilco was on their last tour for his solo shows (which are in smaller venues). Does that mean we are close to $80/$90 for tickets this tour?

I'm hoping to score tickets for the Beck/Cage/Spoon tour and was surprised by the $120 cost for many of the seats...

uhh last show was $89 in NYC before TM fees...so the question is do we break $100 face before fees?! Also, shocked about Beck Cage prices but it is a great triple bill so not surprised at the same time!

I don't think I'd pay more than, like, $60 (before fees) to see Wilco, so I hope they'll keep prices down.  Maybe NYC is higher than other cities. I don't remember ever paying more than $50-ish in Atlanta, but I've missed some of the recent tours.

I don't think I'd pay more than, like, $60 (before fees) to see Wilco, so I hope they'll keep prices down. Maybe NYC is higher than other cities. I don't remember ever paying more than $50-ish in Atlanta, but I've missed some of the recent tours.

NYC shows are always far more expensive. I generally see Jeff/Wilco in CT, RI & MA and tickets are usually around $45, give or take.

Edit: Just checked - our tickets for Jeff’s Boston show in April were $37.50 ($41 after fees).

Re: increased ticket prices, I’m sure they’re possibly anticipating larger crowds and considering booking slightly larger venues after the incredible PR machine generated so much coverage of Jeff’s book and solo record. I can’t remember the last time there was so much publicity for Jeff and indirectly, Wilco. Lots of new fans to come to shows.

Re: increased ticket prices, I’m sure they’re possibly anticipating larger crowds and considering booking slightly larger venues after the incredible PR machine generated so much coverage of Jeff’s book and solo record. I can’t remember the last time there was so much publicity for Jeff and indirectly, Wilco. Lots of new fans to come to shows.

I hadn't considered that.  Wilco has always carefully selected venues, and tended to play historic theaters that are full of character and top out at around 4000 seats.  It's a major part of the charm of their shows.  Everyone can see.  The sound is usually good.  The band can see and interact with the audience.  But if that kind of venue isn't big enough anymore, are there venues that they'd want to play that are somewhere in between that size and sterile sports arenas?  I can't think of any in my part of the country.   They might go to a multi-date per city touring schedule rather than playing giant shitholes that sound terrible.

I hadn't considered that.  Wilco has always carefully selected venues, and tended to play historic theaters that are full of character and top out at around 4000 seats.  It's a major part of the charm of their shows.  Everyone can see.  The sound is usually good.  The band can see and interact with the audience.  But if that kind of venue isn't big enough anymore, are there venues that they'd want to play that are somewhere in between that size and sterile sports arenas?  I can't think of any in my part of the country.   They might go to a multi-date per city touring schedule rather than playing giant shitholes that sound terrible.

I think the biggest indoor venue I saw them play was the two UIC Pavilion shows in Chicago, 2009 --- it was a bit weird. I was on the floor, so it sounded ok, but it was weird being in an arena seeing them perform -- it was even more weird seeing Tortoise, who opened, play in arena. 

I think they played arena venues at various points -- that NYE gig at Madison Square Garden springs to mind.

I don't foresee any line up change -- which is both good and bad. 

Ticket prices for shows have been going up rapidly in general the last few years. Seems like it’s hard to see a club show for less than $50 these days. I wouldn’t be surprised if the best seats on their new tour (whenever they announce it! Come on!) will be $100+.

I hadn't considered that. Wilco has always carefully selected venues, and tended to play historic theaters that are full of character and top out at around 4000 seats. It's a major part of the charm of their shows. Everyone can see. The sound is usually good. The band can see and interact with the audience. But if that kind of venue isn't big enough anymore, are there venues that they'd want to play that are somewhere in between that size and sterile sports arenas? I can't think of any in my part of the country. They might go to a multi-date per city touring schedule rather than playing giant shitholes that sound terrible.

I hope I’m wrong, and hope you’re right. I’ve seen Wilco almost every year since 2006 in those mid-size historic theatres/auditoriums with so much charm and character. Every show has been great for many reasons, e.g., sound quality, setlist, playing/band interaction, etc., but what sets them apart from other shows I’ve seen is the intimacy of the venue, which ultimately creates a more communal atmosphere that Jeff strives for at their shows. I’d hate to lose that to a larger venue.

More likely some multiple nights than larger venues but time will tell. Perhaps a return to Radio City v. The Beacon. My understanding is the year is booked and was by the end of 2018 so maybe before all that pr machine well-deserved additional hype. If they go bigger venues in bigger markets it just becomes that much fun to hit the smaller markets for smaller venues.

• 1 month later...

My guess is they possibly haven’t finished plotting the tour, and are still confirming venues and/or dates. It takes a long time to plan and book a tour before you make announcements.

I think there is virtually no way that the entire 2019 year of shows has not been booked. They are just waiting to announce. Tours are being booked farther and farther in advance per comment Jeff made to a group of us on a loft tour last November. It seemed at that time that all of 2019 was already booked. Maybe waiting until closer to Solid Sound to max out ticket sales for their own festival first. I am in same boat of trying to hold off trip planning and at this point more so just hoping convenient tour stops do not conflict with existing plans. 

Ticket prices for shows have been going up rapidly in general the last few years. Seems like it’s hard to see a club show for less than $50 these days. I wouldn’t be surprised if the best seats on their new tour (whenever they announce it! Come on!) will be $100+.

a club show for under $50? that's incredibly easy. 

a club show for under $50? that's incredibly easy.

Not in NYC, for an artist like Wilco.

Nick Lowe with Los Straitjackets sold out an upcoming club show in NYC for $40+$10 fees = $50.

I would put Wilco as an equal to or slightly more desirable ticket.

(I sadly put off buying one of those Nick Lowe tickets too long and got shut out.)

Nick Lowe with Los Straitjackets sold out an upcoming club show in NYC for $40+$10 fees = $50.

(I sadly put off buying one of those Nick Lowe tickets too long and got shut out.)

That’s true unless you get a service charge free ticket. Otherwise any show that’s $35 or up ends being over $50 after fees in nyc which is pretty much 90% of the shows

Yeah I’m talking mainly about an established band at a place like the metro here. With fees those shows aren’t going to be less than $50. I’m sure places like empty bottle and hideout you can still see smaller acts for $20 or so.

Wilco is a far more desirable ticket.  NIck Lowe is great, but he plays for 1000 people a night.  Wilco plays venues three times as big, sometimes selling out two nights.  

granted NYC prices are different, but maybe our definition of 'club' is the issue here... in Boston anyways, i would say that a club is 1000 or less capacity, excepting House of Blues which is almost on par with T5. and 90% of shows at venues like The Paradise, Royale, Sinclair, even HoB are definitely under $50. There is no way Wilco would play a venue like HoB at this stage in their career; they are too big. 

granted NYC prices are different, but maybe our definition of 'club' is the issue here... in Boston anyways, i would say that a club is 1000 or less capacity, excepting House of Blues which is almost on par with T5. and 90% of shows at venues like The Paradise, Royale, Sinclair, even HoB are definitely under $50. There is no way Wilco would play a venue like HoB at this stage in their career; they are too big. 

The capacity of Boston HoB is 2700; the Orpheum, where they've played fairly recently, is 2500. I'm pretty glad that they don't play HoB, as I hate that place, but I don't know that it's too small for them. Then again, they sold out The Wang (3500) in 2011.... FWIW, I love picking up tickets at The Sinclair box-office for Bowery Boston shows as they waive fees. You can save $20+ on a pair of tix.