When will Wilco US tour dates be announced?

I don't buy that the band doesn't have input into the pricing. Jeff has mentioned in past interview their decision to move from $30 tickets to $50.

Promoter pays the bands fee. I have a couple of copies of contracts from back in the day and didn’t see language on prices that indicated the band dictates the price but like I said it was a long time ago and the industry is always changing

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Promoter pays the bands fee. I have a couple of copies of contracts from back in the day and didn’t see language on prices that indicated the band dictates the price but like I said it was a long time ago and the industry is always changing

I find it impossible to believe that artists don't have the right to add clauses to contracts that say "no ticket can be sold above the price of $___."

If venues had the freedom to charge whatever they wanted, $750 tickets would be far more common and there would be artists speaking out against it.

Something about this doesn't smell right. 

I find it impossible to believe that artists don't have the right to add clauses to contracts that say "no ticket can be sold above the price of $___."

If venues had the freedom to charge whatever they wanted, $750 tickets would be far more common and there would be artists speaking out against it.

Something about this doesn't smell right.

I’m just telling you my first hand experience and like I said the industry is always changing. It’s very common for every band playing radio city/msg/beacon to have platinum seats like this

Ha, you're so right!  I've been out of town and grabbed our tix from the road so when I saw the price I just swallowed hard and went for it.  Called my wife and were lamenting that we went for the local show instead of opting for a road trip to Cain's.  If you've not been to Cain's you are in for a treat!  We attended the show a few years back that ended up on the Ashes DVD and it was among my very favorite and most memorable shows.

I count you as a very lucky man, that show at Cain's  in 2008 has got to be one of the best Wilco shows ever, at least it seems to me from what I've seen in person and videos of old shows.  Isn't that the one where Jeff was on steroids and wearing the Nudie suit?  That Handshake Drugs is all time great, holy shit!  I think Sky Blue Sky tour was probably the band's peak as a live ensemble, at least its my fave.

I’m just telling you my first hand experience and like I said the industry is always changing. It’s very common for every band playing radio city/msg/beacon to have platinum seats like this

I don't doubt your experience or mean to suggest you're wrong.  But everything is negotiable in business and artists do have the power to buck industry standards.  How many times has Wilco demonstrated that?    I suspect in this case, it's a Radio City thing, and not something we'll see at a theater in Arkansas, or something.

I don't doubt your experience or mean to suggest you're wrong. But everything is negotiable in business and artists do have the power to buck industry standards. How many times has Wilco demonstrated that? I suspect in this case, it's a Radio City thing, and not something we'll see at a theater in Arkansas, or something.

that’s true everything is negotiable! If you want to see sticker shock compare madonnas nyc show to her Boston show $2500 vs $750 for front for platinum

I don't doubt your experience or mean to suggest you're wrong. But everything is negotiable in business and artists do have the power to buck industry standards. How many times has Wilco demonstrated that? I suspect in this case, it's a Radio City thing, and not something we'll see at a theater in Arkansas, or something.

There’s platinum tix at almost every other venue on the tour though too.

There were platinum tix when Jeff played Chattanooga.

There’s platinum tix at almost every other venue on the tour though too.

There were platinum tix when Jeff played Chattanooga.

What is the platinum price on the other dates?  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evs5HjjL0PM

Money Becomes King

Tom Petty put this out in 2002 and it wasn't long after that there were platinum/gold circle seats at even his shows.

Ha Ha! I was thinking about the irony of Petty. I’m sure an interviewer or 2 asked him to explain how he justified becoming the devil he preached against. I’d like to read it.

What is the platinum price on the other dates?

4th row in Nashville right now is $275+fees.

When they went on sale Friday those seats shot up to over $500. They price the platinum seats according to demand.

When they went on sale Friday those seats shot up to over $500. They price the platinum seats according to demand.

On one hand, if WIlco has anything to do with that, it's shitty.  In theory, anyway.

On the other hand, the second the bots get those tickets, that's how much they cost.  So I'd rather Wilco get the money than anyone else.  But it sounds like (according to remphish) the venue pockets that money...and that's what makes this fishy.  Where are the artists who are willing to speak out about this?  

I wouldn't want to see Wilco surrounded by people who paid $500+ to get in, so if that's the norm now, I have no interest in being up front even if someone gave me a ticket for free.

Did Wilco or Jeff do this under Tony Margerita's management?

On the other hand, the second the bots get those tickets, that's how much they cost. So I'd rather Wilco get the money than anyone else. But it sounds like (according to remphish) the venue pockets that money...and that's what makes this fishy. Where are the artists who are willing to speak out about this?

My understanding is promoter pays the venue to rent it they get that fee and then the band gives a cut of merch to the venue and alcohol sales and other food ie is the venues take over the venue rental fee

Promoter pays band their fee. If sell out band gets a bonus over their fee

So with the platinum seats the promoter is trying to maximize their return they sell the tickets to recoup their outlay for the band and have some leeway on pricing seats probably without much restriction

My understanding is promoter pays the venue to rent it they get that fee and then the band gives a cut of merch to the venue and alcohol sales and other food ie is the venues take over the venue rental fee

Promoter pays band their fee. If sell out band gets a bonus over their fee

So with the platinum seats the promoter is trying to maximize their return they sell the tickets to recoup their outlay for the band and have some leeway on pricing seats probably without much restriction

Seems like the band and venue should cut the promoter out of the deal.  A band on this level should be its own promoter.   

This made me think of of the Wilmington, DE show in August of '08. If you wanted tickets you stood in line at the venue the day they went on sale with no other outlets. I dropped off my unemployed friend that morning and went to work, picking him up later in the afternoon. I remember seeing him walking towards me with a white envelope and being relieved that he actually got tickets at this 800 seat venue. As it turns out, he got the last 3 possible seats, which were actually just 3 folding chairs the venue setup for us in the balcony.  They were 35.00 each. 

Seems like the band and venue should cut the promoter out of the deal. A band on this level should be its own promoter.

Don’t think bands want to outlay all the money up front for venue rentals the length of a tour. If your a huge act maybe that would be worth it to maximize profits but don’t think others could make that happen

That demand is determined during an on-sale by Ticketmaster's computing, which neither the promoter nor the band have access to.  So is it Ticketmaster doing to gouging, or the promoter, or the band? This is a layer cake of shadiness.

Don’t think bands want to outlay all the money up front for venue rentals the length of a tour. If your a huge act maybe that would be worth it to maximize profits but don’t think others could make that happen

Who said anything about paying up front?  Put down a deposit and settle the balance after the show.

It’s 100% Ticketmaster. There’s a disclaimer about the platinum seats that much like airline tickets prices fluctuate due to demand.

So Ticketmaster just pockets that money, having done absolutely nothing to create the demand?

Also, are fees on a $750 ticket the same as they are on a regular ticket? 

I just took a gander at today’s setlist for Belgium over at setlist fm and the third song is listed as “unknown”. Hmm...could be a cover or something new?

Edited: that “unknown” song was Kamera. Not sure how they knew the other 24 songs and not that one.

https://www.jambase.com/article/wilco-amsterdam-live-stream?fbclid=IwAR3uBXCsx7jfqAuUOuVm3JB6ktdbj6ioq_7Pm2Wml__C948YW1KIsJX2TPI

Webcast this Sunday from Amsterdam.

So Ticketmaster just pockets that money, having done absolutely nothing to create the demand?

Also, are fees on a $750 ticket the same as they are on a regular ticket?

Fees are more expensive on the more expensive tix. Almost $30 in fees on a platinum ticket.

Fees are more expensive on the more expensive tix. Almost $30 in fees on a platinum ticket.

I'm surprised it's that low.  $30 is barely more than I've paid in fees on some $50 tickets.  Actually, someone on my FB page said they were skipping the Atlanta Wilco show because there were $30 in fees on regular seats.  My wife bought our tix for that show.  I'll have to ask her what she paid in fees.