Now Watching 2019

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there was way too much going on on TV whenever an episode of True Detective was on the air. Golden Globes, SAG Awards, Critics Choice Awards, Super Bowl, Grammy's & Academy Awards. The only episode that I watched in real time was the penultimate episode (aired on Feb 17). So I sort of watched it any night of the week that wasn't on a Sunday except for the 2 episode premier night. I had to watch it after the Golden Globes. It got tough to really get into due to my viewing habits. I enjoyed it overall, but was swearing up & down when the first episode aired. Felt way too much like season 1. It got better in terms of creating its own world. It had a very cool moment involving a laptop and a picture of 2 men. This season had the most red herrings, but it was engaging and sort of ended on a quiet and hushed note. It was certainly the most personal story told in this anthology series. Everyone was really well cast. I just hope that the next season is something completely different in a brand new setting. I'd definitely set aside some time in the near future to sit down and try to binge the whole season over 2 nights. 

• 2 weeks later...

Set up my birdfeeders over the weekend so I've been watching all sorts of finches, nuthatches and wood peckers lately.

We watched a pretty solid documentary on Netflix last night: The legend of Cocaine Island. Pretty interesting that it ended, right before the credits, with map coordinates.

I had some pretty vivid dreams last night about a treasure hunt....

I Am Maris on Netflix. The subject in this documentary is the daughter of an old high school friend, the niece of one of my lifelong closest friends. This is a powerful story of healing and strength following a debilitating eating disorder. As a middle school teacher, I am glad to have been able to have her Facetime with my students a couple of times.

Game of Thrones ending begins tomorrow. Any other fans on here? I've reconciled that this isn't George RR Martin's story anymore but since he hasn't released a book since 2011, I'm just happy to finally have any sort of ending for A Song of Ice and Fire.

Game of Thrones ending begins tomorrow. Any other fans on here? I've reconciled that this isn't George RR Martin's story anymore but since he hasn't released a book since 2011, I'm just happy to finally have any sort of ending for A Song of Ice and Fire.

Yep. My wife and I just finished rewatching all 7 seasons as of last night. Completely up to speed on every nuance of every storyline (yeah right). Hopefully they don’t eff it up too much and we get a satisfying closure.

Same here!

Have been disappointed with searching for titles that are available - it's like walking into a library and not being able to peruse the shelves. I've had to cross-reference their DVD collection and just search for directors and titles that I know are within the collection, just to see if it's also available for streaming.

Though - I discovered that a couple redditors have made a complete criterion streaming database available, and I've also read that Criterion will be adding a "whole library" database on the app, maybe this week?

I finally saw two films that I've wanted to see for a long time: La Jetee, and For All Mankind. Terrific.

Disappointed to see that Bande A Part isn't available - but perhaps they're saving it for a Godard retrospective...

Any recommendations?

Had free HBO this past weekend:

Deadpool 2- ok I guess

True Detective 3 - editing was the best part I thought 

Curb Your Enthusiasm 9 - funniest thing to me was the episode "Never Wait For Seconds"

I wish I had watched Super Troopers 2. 

• 2 weeks later...

GOT - Battle Of Winterfell.  Wow!

I expected far more of the major characters to die.  By my count, this is it?

Jorah 
Theon

Melisandre (not in battle)

Viserion (well, for good this time)

Beric 

Edd 

Lady Lyanna

... and of course, the Night King

and nice that it was Arya who did the ass kicking!

GOT - Battle Of Winterfell.  Wow!

I expected far more of the major characters to die.  By my count, this is it?

Jorah 

Theon

Melisandre (not in battle)

Viserion (well, for good this time)

Beric 

Edd 

Lady Lyanna

... and of course, the Night King

and nice that it was Arya who did the ass kicking!

Well, there were all the Dothraki...